Can I resell a used ELT?

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
At my annual, I had the old 121.5 MHz ELT replaced with a new 406 MHz model. My old one was returned to me, and I'm thinking about selling it -- and I have two questions:

Would there be anybody, maybe homebuilders, who would buy a used ELT that doesn't come from a certified shop?

Is there any formality involved with NOAA? I know that a 406 MHz ELT comes with a form to fill out and return to NOAA, and that makes sense because satellites listen for that kind of ELT, but I don't know whether a new owner of a 121.5 ELT would need to do anything.

The non-406 ELTs have no identifying feature that requires registration. If it is one with a remote (TSO C91a) it can be installed in a homebuilt or a regularly certificated aircraft. What the installing mechanic will consider applicable proof of airworthiness is really up to them.

If it's a non-remoted unit (C91), it's really only an option to someone who needs to replace an exact same unit.

You can always throw it on ebay and see if anybody bites.

Please ensure it has no power source before throwing it anywhere! We don't need a false emergency beacon going off!

Been there done that.

Standing in the Denver City and County landfill with DF gear one night. Buddy says, "Look down"...

I was standing on a dead horse.

We gave up and told AFRCC the battery would run out eventually.

At my annual, I had the old 121.5 MHz ELT replaced with a new 406 MHz model. My old one was returned to me, and I'm thinking about selling it -- and I have two questions:

Would there be anybody, maybe homebuilders, who would buy a used ELT that doesn't come from a certified shop?

Is there any formality involved with NOAA? I know that a 406 MHz ELT comes with a form to fill out and return to NOAA, and that makes sense because satellites listen for that kind of ELT, but I don't know whether a new owner of a 121.5 ELT would need to do anything.

I'm sure there's some cheap moron out there who will buy a 121.5/243 ELT off you. Put it up on eBay, nothing needs to be certified about a seller or source for these devices. As long as it has the appropriate stamps on it, tests operational, and a current battery, it's good to meet the letter of the law in the US at least.

Thanks everybody.

So that I can write an accurate ebay ad -- can somebody answer the question at the end of the list below?

The used ELT is an ACK Technologies E-01 (121.5 MHz), which I replaced with the ACK E-04 (406 MHz).

I think the shop re-used several things from my old installation, including the remote, the wiring to the remote, and the mounting tray.

The stuff the shop returned to me was:
- the used E-01 ELT (a yellow box - It feels light so I'm guessing the battery was removed).
- a whip antenna that's about 15" long (used)
- a coaxial cable to connect the ELT and antenna, about 12" long, with BNC connectors on each end (probably used but I'm not sure)
- a telephone-style four-wire cable that's maybe 15 feet long (new) -- I'm guessing this is to provide a connection to a remote
- a mounting tray with stainless-steel clamps (new)
- the original manual for the old ELT
- I was NOT given a remote switch

So here's the question -- is there anything (besides the battery and a remote switch) missing from the list above, that a buyer would require?

Thanks everybody.

So that I can write an accurate ebay ad -- can somebody answer the question at the end of the list below?

The used ELT is an ACK Technologies E-01 (121.5 MHz), which I replaced with the ACK E-04 (406 MHz).

I think the shop re-used several things from my old installation, including the remote, the wiring to the remote, and the mounting tray.

The stuff the shop returned to me was:
- the used E-01 ELT (a yellow box - It feels light so I'm guessing the battery was removed).
- a whip antenna that's about 15" long (used)
- a coaxial cable to connect the ELT and antenna, about 12" long, with BNC connectors on each end (probably used but I'm not sure)
- a telephone-style four-wire cable that's maybe 15 feet long (new) -- I'm guessing this is to provide a connection to a remote
- a mounting tray with stainless-steel clamps (new)
- the original manual for the old ELT
- I was NOT given a remote switch

So here's the question -- is there anything (besides the battery and a remote switch) missing from the list above, that a buyer would require?

Nope, that sounds like it makes a complete package. Might want to check the price of the battery you didn't get back, was it already expired? Some of those batteries are kinda pricey, I don't like that the remote is missing either. Sounds like someone scavenged the valuable resellables before giving you the rest.

The ACK E-01 uses 4 Duracell alkaline D cell batteries. Without the remote switch it is not a complete package. You can still buy a remote switch at Aircraft Spruce for about $50, but since the whole package when it was new cost about $200, it's probably not worth much except as a replacement for someone replacing a dead one who is not yet ready to spend $600 on a 406MHz upgrade.

Last edited:
Well, let me take a guess at "the rest of the story" --

So did the horse swallow an ELT that still had a battery, and then somebody disposed of the horse in the landfill?

Kind of reminds me of the children's song about the lady who swallowed a fly.

Don't know. The landfill guys offered to dig up areas with the bulldozers one area at a time and let us hunt through them, but after standing in trash for an hour and eventually following a signal that generally was somewhere from 1' below a dead horse to 30' below in a mountain of garbage, at night, I was done looking.

We let it run and went home. That was plenty of "volunteering" for three hours that night and one ruined pair of shoes, and we knew there was no aircraft in distress wherever the ELT was buried in the landfill. The original hope was it was still near the surface somewhere and dumping it there set it off.

As far as the 121.5, throw it out. No point in helping someone stay on dead tech that'll give them a false sense of security. Take the batteries out of it first.

Nope, that sounds like it makes a complete package. Might want to check the price of the battery you didn't get back, was it already expired? Some of those batteries are kinda pricey, I don't like that the remote is missing either. Sounds like someone scavenged the valuable resellables before giving you the rest.

It's not complete. It requires the remote box for a legal installation.

It's not complete. It requires the remote box for a legal installation.

Right, he already had said "except those items, what else?" My response was in nothing else.

Thanks everybody.

Neal and everyone here explained it so well that I now know that a used 121.5 MHz ELT that's missing a remote is worth nothing.

Out it will go to the scrap heap, sans batteries.

Back