Can I rent a plane in another country?

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I will be going to Switzerland in the fall, and should have my PPL by then. I was thinking how great it would be to fly around Interlaken and take in the scenery from that perspective. What is necessary for a foreigner to rent a plane in Europe? Anyone have experience with this?

I know someone from Switzerland who got his PPL there and now lives and fly's here. I'll ask him and relay his response. Ted and Mesi knows this person too ;-)

United States license does not equate to a European Country's license. You're best (and cheapest) bet is to rent a plane with a local instructor to have a flight. You'll still pilot the aiprlane, but their will be a local instructor with you.

Some countries have a method in which they will grant you a temporary pilot certificate valid in their country. Not sure if Switzerland is one of those.

Basically if you flew a US registered N numbered airplane there you'd be fine. But if you're flying a Swiss airplane you'll need a Swiss certificate.

Be prepared to pay. And pay. And pay in cash.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to fly a plane out of Milan w/the owner. We went up to CH for fuel (fuel taxes were the equivalent of $1 per gallon cheaper up in Lugano). It was over $120 US before we even got off the ground from Linate, then we had to pay cash landing fees and ATC fees in Switzerland.

It WAS a fabulous flight.... I didn't attempt to rent over there.

IIRC, Ed Guthrie (not sure where he hangs out these days) has rented in Germany and might be a good source of advice.

As others have said: Sure! How much money you got?

A more serious answer involves the insurance and owner/club/FBO checkouts. Your best bet is to fly with an instructor over there and enjoy.

-Skip

Back