Can I fly without a transponder?

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
The annual nightmare for the Free Bird continues. My transponder isn't fixed, and won't be by the time I need to take off for the upcoming fly-in at Wings. My mechanic is willing to do a modified weight and balance, and placard the aircraft accordingly. Can I do this legally? I am especially concerned as LOM lies within the Philadelphia mode C veil.

as long as you can get permission from Philly to enter the mode C veil you can make the flight. I've had to do this before in Kansas City (radio call from the air) and Memphis (phone call from an outlying airport)

Philly Approach : 800-354-9884. Not sure if that's just for releases, but you can start there.

Philly Approach : 800-354-9884. Not sure if that's just for releases, but you can start there.

I'd also make sure that you can get in and OUT; Otherwise you're going to be paying for a transponder at Wings Field.

I'd also make sure that you can get in and OUT; Otherwise you're going to be paying for a transponder at Wings Field.

Nah, just keep the name of the guy that gave you permission to come in. It's not like Wings is in a high traffic corridor. Just follow the turnpike straight out. But yeah, on the call to come in, I'd verify leaving Sunday morning to not be an issue.

Thanks for the number Ed. The guy in Philly said it shouldn't be a problem, just call approach before I hit the mode C. I'll have to give them a phone call before I depart.

What a pain. And my blasted transponder has only been in service 600 hours in an aircraft that spends most of it's time hangared.

What kind of transponder is it? Any chance you could borrow one?

Remember to stay below 10K MSL.

Not a huge problem with a Cherokee, but thanks. Wouldn't have remembered that.

They were supposed to put in a loner, but it won't be here until well after I'm scheduled to get out of here. Too little, too late.

Back