Can I Combine XC Flights for Commercial?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I have been putting together a spreadsheet to monitor various requirements for my IR, Commercial and CFI.

For the Commercial there is a requirement for a 2 hour, 100NM day time XC flight. There is also a requirement for a 300NM flight.

Does the 300NM flight not also qualify for the 2 hour, 100NM flight? The 100NM flight seems redundant if you have done the longer one.

Thanks for your comments.

As I read the reg, you have a requirement for a DUAL daytime and a DUAL nighttime X/C flight (61.129.3.iii and iv) each two hours and 100 NM.

61.129.4.i is your SOLO 300 NM X/C.

When I went for my commercial I did the two DUAL X/Cs as part of the training and had already met the solo requirement as a private pilot taking a wanderjahr across the country.

As I read the reg, you have a requirement for a DUAL daytime and a DUAL nighttime X/C flight (61.129.3.iii and iv) each two hours and 100 NM.

61.129.4.i is your SOLO 300 NM X/C.

When I went for my commercial I did the two DUAL X/Cs as part of the training and had already met the solo requirement as a private pilot taking a wanderjahr across the country.

Me too.

We combined the Dual day XC and night by flying out day, returning at night.

:D

Thanks guys! With no more attention to detail than I give, it's nothing short of amazing that I ever managed to pass a PPL checkride.

I missed the Dual part on the shorter ones.

That loud pop that you hear is me pulling my head out of my ......., well anyway, thanks for the help!:D

Since I went back and looked harder. It sounds as if I could do the two 100NM XC, both day and night as dual and also log instrument training with the instructor at the same time. Then they knock out instrument time for the IR as well as these two XC's for the Commercial.

Since I went back and looked harder. It sounds as if I could do the two 100NM XC, both day and night as dual and also log instrument training with the instructor at the same time. Then they knock out instrument time for the IR as well as these two XC's for the Commercial.
Check with the FSDO. Some hold that you cannot use the same training flight to meet requirements for two different certificates. Now, I don't believe that they can justify it by the rules as written, but that's what I understand their directions to be to their examiners. If you have time, feel free to challenge them on that!

Given that the OLD reg used to require VFR conditions for the dual X/Cs, and the new version doesn't... I don't see why you can't do the dual X/Cs under the hood.

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
{Beginning of old text revised August 21, 2009, effective October 20, 2009}
(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
{New-2009-20 (a)(3)(iv) revised August 21, 2009, effective October 20, 2009}
(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
{Beginning of old text revised August 21, 2009, effective October 20, 2009}
(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a single-engine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

I remembered that VFR restriction too, and went looking for it. Thanks for posting when it changed.

Check with the FSDO. Some hold that you cannot use the same training flight to meet requirements for two different certificates. Now, I don't believe that they can justify it by the rules as written, but that's what I understand their directions to be to their examiners. If you have time, feel free to challenge them on that!
The IR is not a certificate, and the Commercial is not a rating. Also, the FAA no longer requires the dual XC's for CP to be VFR. So, if you plan it right, you can cover the long IFR XC for the IR and the dual day and night XC's for CP in one trip.

And you don't need to check this with the FSDO, just make sure your instructor plans, accomplishes, and documents it right.

Back