can I burn Jet Fuel in my kerosene torpedo heater?

John,
A torpedo heater will not really heat a t-hanger, but just knock the chill off. If your t-hanger is tight enough to really heat I would be concerned about the fumes. Ask Moose, mine didn't raise the temp more than a couple degrees but if you pointed it where you were working it helped with creature comfort.

That's what we do with ours, point it at our bums and go to work. LOL.

They come with this cool thing called a manual that says what they'll burn. ;)

I never seen any open flame out the front. The shield prevents that. Still I take precautions like never running it when the plane is being fueled and making sure I know where it is pointed.

Trying to fill in the blanks on your five letter word, LOL!!

:hairraise: They won't even fuel my plane if my compressor kicks in, let alone an open flame.

I thought that too.
I called my local farm co-op (Landmark/Cenex) and surprisingly they didn't sell it via pump, only 55 gallon drums. $282/55 gal

I know I will be dating myself... (57)..:eek:... BUT..

I clearly remember taking a 3 gallon jug down to the local Gulf station back in the early 1960's and buying Kerosene... There were pumps for gas out on the front islands and they had No-knocs for high test. Good Gulf for the regular grade.. Around back they had 2 pumps.. One was for "white" gas... That was for outboard boat engines and our Jacobson 2 stroke lawn mower. Next to that was the Kerosene pump. IRRC it was .007 cents a gallon......

Boy, those were the good ol' days...:yes::redface:

Who would have ever thought JetA, which is basically Kerosene would cost 7.50 a gallon.:dunno::eek::eek::eek:

How about 100LL?
Ten years. Is there a necropost record?

100LL in a kerosene heater would probably be great for entertaining people who read the Darwin Award web sites.

Last edited:
Ten years. Is there a necropsy record?

100LL in a kerosene heater would probably be great for entertaining people who read the Darwin Award web sites.
Well I guess I wasn't getting one 10 yrs ago. But thnx for answering my question.

Ten years. Is there a necropost record?

If there were a necropost award, it would go to the guy who resurrected a thread from 2006 the other day...

My friends heater takes jet /kerosene/diesel but not biodiesel. Anyone here have an idea why? TIA

Using any type of combustion heater, get a home CO alarm and use it.

I would NOT burn 100LL or used aircraft oil in any heater. You would be putting the lead in the air you are breathing.

Burning 100LL will NOT go well in these heaters. They are NOT designed to burn gasoline fuels.

My friends heater takes jet /kerosene/diesel but not biodiesel. Anyone here have an idea why? TIA
Because bio fuel is crap and has lard in it, IMO. It has too much viscosity and small fuel pumps can't handle it like in your turbo heater is made to burn light fuel like kerosene. Even diesel fuel will shorten the life of the fuel pump in equipment that is made for kerosene. Bio fuels has messed up more than one piece of off road equipment especially when its cold out. Been there done that.

When the wick type kerosene heaters became popular during the 1970s "energy crisis" there were quite a few explosions and house fires caused by idiots who didn't read the directions and didn't understand the difference between kerosene and gasoline.

Around here (CT), many gas stations have a kerosene pump. Since it's not taxed as road fuel, it's dyed red for identification, which caused consternation with people concerned about confusing it with 80/87.

Here's my experience and my 2 cents. Hopefully it will help you.

I have a 50,000 BTU Mr. Heater. It's specs say it is good for diesel, kerosene, jet-A. I have used kerosene at first, but diesel works just as well and I notice no ill effects ... no smoke or different smell. I use it in an unheated hangar.

Find the manual for yours and see what it says. Otherwise, I would empty the fuel from your heater and try a gallon of diesel and see what happens. You might have to adjust the fuel pressure (there's a screw on mine to adjust the mixture).

If it creates smoke, the mixture may not be right, or you have water in your fuel.

On my first year of owning it, I had to change the fuel hoses, as they were cracked badly. A couple of years later I needed to service the air pump. Just a dis-assembly of the air pump which is similar to an airplane vacuum pump. Just clean the innards of all the dust after freeing the vanes. Has worked flawlessly for the last 10 years since maintenance.

Been in the fuel business since 1983. Yes jet A fuel will work good, same thing only better than kerosene.
Back in the 80s when kerosene convection/wick heaters were all the rage. Our fuel company sold lots of kerosene. I would climb up on the delivery tankers and take samples out of each compartment before unloading to insure the kerosene was bright and clear. Long before the days of red dye. We had a good reputation of selling hi quality kerosene. Our secret was JetA.
We have a bulk plant and would buy JetA by the transport load and sell it for K-1 kero. We delivered it to homes with our trucks aS #1 heating oil and sold hundreds of gallons of it everyday during the winter out of our retail pump for small heaters. This jetA did not have any additives in it like prist. I am not sure if prist is a concern when used in kero heaters?
Like said if you use a convection kero heater with wick in it don't use diesel or #2 heating oil, kero only. The turbo kero heaters can tolerate #2 diesel/heating oil but not good for them as there fuel pumps are setup for light fuel which is kerosene.

I have been heating my non insulated T hanger for 4 winters now only when I am there with propane heaters. I have 3 of them for a total of 160K btu. When it is 30-40°F you need about 75k btus. Colder than 30° I need all 160K btu to make it comfortable after about an hour of running the heaters. As soon as I turn off the heater the heat is gone as there are gaps all along the floors and the bi fold hangar door leaks a ton of air.
After an hour of running the heaters I turn on a floor fan and point it straight up to the ceiling which helps a lot as it blows the warm air around the hangar.
016_6.jpg

Last edited:
Back