Can I build and Aircraft for you?

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I have a very nice 48 C-170 project started, would you like me to build it for you?

you get to choose colors, modifications, add ons.

Ideas?

Wow, Tom. Tempt me. Two things, though. First is the matter of a certain 195 that I can't seem to sell for the price I want. And, next, I would really rather not have a rag wing 170.

I would really rather not have a rag wing 170.

Why not? They are the best of the bunch. they are lighter, faster and have a better useful load than the "A" or "B"

Worries about letting it set out? no problems with Airtech, the ag croppers are seldom in a hangar and the system has not degraded in 30 years of being in use on their equipment.

Why not? They are the best of the bunch. they are lighter, faster and have a better useful load than the "A" or "B"

Worries about letting it set out? no problems with Airtech, the ag croppers are seldom in a hangar and the system has not degraded in 30 years of being in use on their equipment.

I have a hangar, so setting out isn't an issue. :wink2: And it is just a perception issue that the straight 170's aren't as desireable.

I actually might be interested in some sort of trade, but selling my wife on it is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

And it is just a perception issue that the straight 170's aren't as desireable.
I know exactly what you mean. Personally, I much prefer the looks of the '48 to the later models, but I have found that I seem to be in the minority.

I hear the same story. My IA friend of 40 years has owned, flown and maintained all of them since the 60's. When I was thinking about them, he said get a B.

I know exactly what you mean. Personally, I much prefer the looks of the '48 to the later models, but I have found that I seem to be in the minority.

I hear the same story. My IA friend of 40 years has owned, flown and maintained all of them since the 60's. When I was thinking about them, he said get a B.
The only advantage to the "B" is they have the big barn door 40 Degree flaps and 5 degrees of dihedral so they track a course hands off, so they will land very short, flare at 40MPH, let it touch at about 30MPH stand on the brakes and the roll will be less than 350'.

BUT

they are heavier, slower, than the 48 or the "A"s. for obvious reasons.

The engines 0-300- A thru D, are exactly the same horse power from 48 thru the 170/172 in 1967 when Cessna went to the Lycoming 0-320 and gained 5 horse power.

I like this panel's layout.

.watermarked_5ef7d7cae8931a4aa12eed6afabf48fd.jpg

Maybe, but i'd like to be able to shoot an ILS every once in awhile. You could junk those radios though and just give me a single flip flop nav/com with GS. Nice to have a backup though, something that can tune a localizer in case the good one craps out.

I thought this panel was cool, because it is the best way I can think to arrange the instruments in this plane without butchering the panel and ruining the classic look. The top three of the six pack with the bottom two offset just a bit. And the CDI with GS is right where I am used to having one. The VSI is way over yonder but I don't consider that necessary anyway.

Last edited:
a nearly uncut 48 170 panel

Attachments

• 1948originalRedPanel.jpg
    1948originalRedPanel.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 42
Ok.

Color: Metallic light cream color with green pinstriping, flames painted on the cowling and leading edge wing surfaces. An image of Dr. Dre painted on the tail.

Panel: G1000 glass panel

Modifications:

-Small, circular wooden yokes
-Pilot controlled hydraulics on the main gear, with 20 inch chrome spinner rims
-Alpine sound system with rear fuselage mounted subwoofers
-Rear mounted rack for the AK and a couple gats
-Cup holders large enough hold 40 ounce bottled beverages
-Yoke mount roach clips

Where is Bruce when you need him for psych eval?

Ok.

Color: Metallic light cream color with green pinstriping, flames painted on the cowling and leading edge wing surfaces. An image of Dr. Dre painted on the tail.

Modifications:

-Yoke mount roach clips

Ok.

Modifications:

-Yoke mount roach clips

Reminds me of this one...

Attachments

• 527197_10151343194453012_1649353879_n.jpg
    527197_10151343194453012_1649353879_n.jpg