Can excel do this:

JOhnH

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I have a text file that is one collum and about 16,000 rows. I have no control over the creation of the source file.

The rows are sequenced such that 8 rows make a record and repeat. Every other row/cell is blank.
Like this:

A1 [empty]
A2 Date
A3 [empty]
A4 Last Name
A5 [empty]
A6 First Name
A7 [empty]
A8 Comment
A9 [empty]
A10 Date
A11 [empty]
A12 Last Name
A13 [empty]
A14 First Name
A15 [empty]
A16 Comment

Can I reformat this such that each sequence of 8 Column cells is moved into 8 sequential Row cells?

A1 thru A8 would get moved to C1 thru J1
A9 thru A16 would get moved to C2 thru J2
etc
etc

Using the "transpose" feature of Paste Special, you can turn the columnar data into rows. A macro or formula could automate the procedure.

Using the "transpose" feature of Paste Special, you can turn the columnar data into rows. A macro or formula could automate the procedure.

That worked great for the first 8 fields.
If there is a way to get it to repeat 2,000 more times that would be just what I need.

That worked great for the first 8 fields.
If there is a way to get it to repeat 2,000 more times that would be just what I need.

Figure out how to record a macro. If it was me I would cut-paste transpose-delete the 16 now blank rows-highlight new first cell of data -end macro. Then you have to hit your macro key 2000 times. Less than 35 minutes at 1/sec.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways but that is the way I would brute force it.

When I get home tonight I can write some code to take care of this if you want to send me the text file

Here's a start...
Assign this macro to a key... each time you push it, it'll do the transpose thing on 8 more rows...
Sub convert()
'
' convert Macro
'

'
ActiveCell.Offset(8, 0).Range("A1:A8").Select
Selection.Copy
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5).Range("A1").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _
False, Transpose:=True
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -5).Range("A1").Select
End Sub

A simple conversion program could be written in five or ten minutes by any programmer. I used to crank those out all the time...but now would probably take me an hour since I am woefully out of practice!

Back