Can an owner do a compression check?

Yeah, no need to log the compressions, just "Removed, clean and gapped plugs, reinstalled." Since the compression test is NOT maintenance that information is not required to be entered.

What I would do is just track the compressions in a separate 'unofficial' document.

That's what I would do too, and it sounds like others here would as well.

I think this thread really got derailed when the insistence was to write the values in the logbook. I don't understand the obsession with this, if the numbers need to be written down they can be documented in a separate notebook.

Same difference unless you're ferrying it on the back of a truck.

No, the FAA uses that exact term in the Hancock Letter 'ferrying your aircraft to a specific location' and they are not talking about a ferry permit when they say this, they are simply talking about moving someone else's aircraft to another location for them, i.e. taking it to another airport for avionics work or an annual when it is airworthy.

Last edited:
As I said in my edit before seeing this post "I never said "ferry flight" I said "ferrying an airplane."

No, the FAA uses that exact term in the Hancock Letter 'ferrying your aircraft to a specific location' and they are not talking about a ferry permit when they say this, they are simply talking about moving someone else's aircraft to another location for them, i.e. taking it to another airport for avionics work or an annual when it is airworthy.

Well, now you have me confused, which really isn't that hard cuz I'm kinda slow. So, in the first situation you have with literal quotes: "ferrying an airplane."

Then in the latest post you have: 'ferrying your aircraft to a specific location' in single quotes. Can you be a bit less cryptic for the rest of us so that we know if an owner, vs anyone else can ferry, and the difference between ferry flight and ferrying an/your aircraft/airplane? Thx

If I fly your aircraft for you to another field for it to be worked on (or whatever) then that is referred to as "ferrying an airplane".

Sorry, I wasn't an English major (thank god).

OK, I can grok that. In this case, the act "ferrying" is the transitive verb equivalent to "moving" and is not related to the permit operation of the same name without the transitive verb. i.e. "ferry permit" in the aviation vernacular. (also not an English major)

OK, I can grok that. In this case, the act "ferrying" is the transitive verb equivalent to "moving" and is not related to the permit operation of the same name without the transitive verb. i.e. "ferry permit" in the aviation vernacular. (also not an English major)

Exactly...

And...BTW...I always say "English is my second language and it's a damned shame that I don't have a first!" ;)

First of all the airplane is not "out of service" to begin with and no, a person without an A&P license cannot sign off a "return to service" entry - but you already know that right?
When you remove a spark plug to clean it, the airplane becomes unairworthy until it is properly returned to service, i.e., the plug is replaced and that preventive maintenance action is written up and signed in the logbook. Since it is preventive maintenance, the owner/pilot is authorized by 43.3 to perform the work and by 43.5 to return it to service by signing the entry, and "The signature constitutes the approval for return to service..." Further, 43.9 requires the person doing that work and returning to service to make that documentation of that work and return to service.

No they can't, not even if they pay their share of expenses, because there is no common purpose.
Common purpose is only an issue when you are transporting someone who is sharing the expenses. It is not an issue otherwise.

This was clearly spelled out in the Hancock letter regardless of how absurdly Levy wants to interpret it. The FAA views ferry flights as a commercial operation.
That's not what the letter says. May I quote from the Hancock letter?
If you loan your aircraft to a private pilot who pays the expenses associated with the operation of the flight (e.g. fuel) and you are placing no obligation on the pilot (e.g. ferrying your aircraft to a specific location), then it is unlikely that the private pilot would be considered to be acting as pilot in command of an aircraft for compensation or hire.
Nothing there about "common purpose" or it being a "commercial operation" if a PP ferries a plane while paying the direct cost of the flight. That sentence does suggest it would violate 61.113, but not that it is a "commercial operation", i.e., falling under Part 119.

Whatever, Ron, you lost that argument once, are you sure you want to go down this road again and embarrass yourself as badly as you did the first time? We just got done laughing at you over the first round, you want to rekindle that amusement?

What other reason would they have for throwing in "ferrying" as a complete aside? There is not a common purpose...thus...

Last edited:
Whatever, Ron, you lost that argument once, are you sure you want to go down this road again and embarrass yourself as badly as you did the first time? We just got done laughing at you over the first round, you want to rekindle that amusement?

What other reason would they have for throwing in "ferrying" as a complete aside? There is not a common purpose...thus...
You still don't get it -- "common purpose" has absolutely nothing to do with why the FAA said what they said in the Hancock letter. The only issue was acting as PIC for compensation, i.e., in a quid pro quo situation, to wit, that the pilot is receiving the value of the indirect cost of the flight in return for ferrying the plane for the owner. Since there is no regulatory requirement for the pilot to pay more than the direct cost of the flight, and since that question was neither asked nor specifically answered in the Hancock letter, I wouldn't say that's a closed matter. However, no matter what the final answer on that would be, it would have nothing to do with "common purpose" and it would not be a "commercial operation" (i.e., one falling under Part 119).

If there is no common purpose, which there is not when you are ferrying someone else's airplane, then it can't be done by a private pilot.

It's a pretty simple connect the dots.

If there is no common purpose, which there is not when you are ferrying someone else's airplane, then it can't be done by a private pilot.
Where did you read that? It's certainly not in any regulation or Chief Counsel interpretation. The term "common purpose" specifically refers to the issue of the pilot and passengers having a common purpose for a flight (i.e., reason to go to that destination on that day) when the passengers are sharing the direct expenses of the flight. No passengers? Common purpose is not an issue. Pilot pays full direct cost of the flight? Common purpose is not an issue.

OTOH, the issue of acting as PIC in return for compensation regardless of purpose (i.e., quid pro quo) could, per 14 CFR 61.113(a), be an issue in the case of a Private Pilot ferrying a plane for an owner. There is no question that the Private Pilot must pay the full direct cost of that flight, but I question whether the FAA Chief Counsel has ever said the value of the indirect cost of a flight constitutes "compensation". The quoted sentence from the Hancock letter suggests that, but it has never been explicitly stated by the FAA anywhere.

You're probably right there; "common purpose" is not the right term. It's simply "purpose".

If you loan your aircraft to a private pilot who pays the expenses associated with the operation of the flight (e.g. fuel) and you are placing no obligation on the pilot (e.g. ferrying your aircraft to a specific location), then it is unlikely that the private pilot would be considered to be acting as pilot in command of an aircraft for compensation or hire.

The bottom line is that the FAA clearly states that a private pilot cannot fly a ferry fight and they did so as a complete aside, it wasn't the question asked...yet they thought it worthwhile to make it a point of stating it in a letter about an unrelated topic.

It's an easy line to cross, so I'd be very careful about buying from somebody like that. I wouldn't assume they have the integrity to always "do the right thing"--I'd have to "know" they always do.

On a 40 year old airplane that's had more than one owner, I'm not sure how you ever "know" for sure. Assuming that the annuals have been done properly and not "pencil-whipped" by some AP/IA somewhere & a proper inspection is done before purchase, one has to assume the plane is airworthy.

On a 40 year old airplane that's had more than one owner, I'm not sure how you ever "know" for sure. Assuming that the annuals have been done properly and not "pencil-whipped" by some AP/IA somewhere & a proper inspection is done before purchase, one has to assume the plane is airworthy.

It's the last owner in the chain I had in mind. Previous owners' sins tend to heal with time. Factory remans can right a lot of wrongs, for instance.

I knew a CFI with a twin. Nicest guy you could ever meet. Had a high-paying job and very well respected. You could find him under his plane on a creeper day or night whenever he could get a break from his real job. Oil, plugs you name it. Then it was turbo charger overhauls. Hmmm... Then it was, "Gee you shoulda been here the day he barely made it around the field after takeoff! He stuck in the wrong length spark plugs and the pistons were shorting out the electrodes!"

Then there was the guy with a war bird who caught fire on takeoff and had the crash crew put out the fire after his emergency return. Lucky for this show-off they were already on the ramp, since it was a community show and tell event for the local upper crust. No medical, no A&P, no publicity. Just a love (and a reputation) for fiddling with his own airplanes.

Had a guy with his own machine shop. A real craftsman. He could carve intricate designs in a wooden kitchen match stick with his bare hands. Used to drive the local A/I crazy with his airplane shenanigans. This one finally killed himself and his neighbor's son buzzing a farmer. The common thread? No respect for the FAA's rules.

When a mag gets timed by an expert who has no powerplant license, how does the next owner know? No logbook entry. Maybe this "expert" has his own way of advancing the timing to get a little better power or performance or economy than the book method. A few years later, the stress fracture this caused and went undetected could result in a snapped crank. An owner that's fastidious about FAR compliance isn't likely to be suspect, but one who knocks the FAA every day and has a reputation for doing owner maintenance would be high on my list of suspects, fairly or unfairly.
[/rant]

dtuuri

I hate to tell you this, but I have had mags mistimed by an A&P that didn't look at the correct engine specs. And one that left a drain pan in the engine after an oil filter change.

While I will grant you that the probability of having the work done correctly is higher with A&P, it is on guarantee. I am sure you do great work, but I can't say the same for everyone.

I've found it's the opposite. The best airplanes are the ones owned by tinkerers. the planes that get taken to a shop for every little thing end end up with things being deferred and not fixed because it's too much hassle.

If you want to argue anecdotes, I have all kinds of stupid A&p tricks to relate. My travel air when I bought it had a 12V gear motor installed (by an IA) which then overran the stops and led a different A&P to re-rig the gear incorrectly to account for the overtravel by the too-fast motor. On that same plane later I bought a pair of props because an IA who I paid to do the annual, couldn't be bothered to use a grease gun when a pencil is so much easier. Or the time I loaned my PA32 to a friend and he had mag with issues away from home, the local A&P replaced the mag with one he had he had on the shelf, problem was it had no impulse coupling in it. Or the engine shop who sent me an overhauled O-360 with valve guides not reamed and every exhaust valve stuck yet, an engine dyno run sheet filled out with all normal parameters. I can go on and on.

Bottom line, that piece of paper in your pocket doesn't mean much to me just like I'm sure my south african maintenance engineer license doesn't mean much to you. But when it comes to my plane, I'll do the job myself if I want it done right, and if I have to get something done by someone else with a piece pf paper in their pocket I'll either witness it or I'll take it apart and inspect it again when they're done.

It's not one of the 31 items of preventive maintenance a pilot is authorized to do, so I would say it's not something a pilot is permitted to do. But even if you were, you are certainly not authorized to enter it in the aircraft maintenance records since the only things a pilot is allowed to sign there are those 31 items and the VOR check required and authorized by 14 CFR 91.171. As for "a visual inspection of the exterior of the aircraft's engine", if you do it as part of your preflight, that's one thing, but if you log it as an "inspection" in the maintenance records, that's another thing entirely. See 14 CFR Part 43 for who is authorized to sign what in maintenance records.

A compression check is not maintenance.....it is a test. Since it's legal to pull the plugs you can do a compression test. No different than using a volt meter to "test" the battery

I am sure you do great work, but I can't say the same for everyone.

:rofl: Not me! I am one lousy mechanic! I hardly ever read this forum for fear I'll be found out. I have the license and that's it. I twisted wrenches for four years in the USAF and another six months or so afterwards until I got a flying job. The experience, though, was priceless for helping understand aircraft systems and interfacing with the real mechanics working on my company's airplane. I've discussed thousands of discrepancies as part of that oversight and enjoyed the aircraft maintenance business from that vantage point. There are really some super smart people out there who won't accept anything less than perfection and it's a joy to work with them. That's why I have so little regard for the owner who, say, runs down to K-mart for pop rivets to fix the loose oil door on his cowling. (Disclaimer: Do not even think I'm trying to say anybody in this thread is like that! I am not!)

dtuuri

I'm sure my south african maintenance engineer license doesn't mean much to you.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's an A&P equivalent, isn't it? :dunno:

dtuuri

Last edited:
A compression check is not maintenance.....it is a test. Since it's legal to pull the plugs you can do a compression test. No different than using a volt meter to "test" the battery

Come now my friend......you must be aware that if you take a volt meter and place the probes on the battery terminal, you must make a log book entry and a return to service. And besides, testing battery voltage is not listed in preventative maintenance so therefore it must be a maintenance action. :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl:

Come now my friend......you must be aware that if you take a volt meter and place the probes on the battery terminal, you must make a log book entry and a return to service. And besides, testing battery voltage is not listed in preventative maintenance so therefore it must be a maintenance action. :rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl:

Touche' :rofl:

You're probably right there; "common purpose" is not the right term. It's simply "purpose".
They didn't even use the word "purpose".
The bottom line is that the FAA clearly states that a private pilot cannot fly a ferry fight
Hardly. It is at best intimated as a possible violation depending on factors not specified.

Last edited:
sort of, except that you have to take on airs and call yourself an "engineer"

Can you apply for an FAA license on the basis of it? As for the "engineer" title, they do that in Canada too. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

dtuuri

Quite a bit different than checking the voltage of the battery...no compressor involved, no removal or replacement of components, no torque values, since you just touch the probes to the terminals and don't disconnect anything, no return to service is required if all you're doing is checking voltage. Since replacing and servicing a battery is specifically allowed as preventive MX, checking proper voltage is an included subtask. Does Part 43 list determining the serviceability of a cylinder as preventive MX? Is a compression test a necessary subtask of cleaning and gapping spark plugs?

Quite a bit different than checking the voltage of the battery...no compressor involved, no removal or replacement of components, no torque values, since you just touch the probes to the terminals and don't disconnect anything, no return to service is required if all you're doing is checking voltage. Since replacing and servicing a battery is specifically allowed as preventive MX, checking proper voltage is an included subtask. Does Part 43 list determining the serviceability of a cylinder as preventive MX? Is a compression test a necessary subtask of cleaning and gapping spark plugs?

:rolleyes2:

Your trying to pick fly **** out of pepper on this one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can you apply for an FAA license on the basis of it? As for the "engineer" title, they do that in Canada too. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

dtuuri
I never bothered to try. Ditto for the pilot's license, I had 30-something type ratings in south africe up to 4-engine turboprops, but when I moved back to the USA i rented a C-150 for 40 hours and started over. That was at the end of apartheid and I couldn't validate a license from a country that didn't exist anymore. And that C-150 was the toughest thing i had ever flown, like to never got the hang of it. Heavier planes are much easier than lighter. I'd never been in the left seat of a single engine plane before.

Last edited:
. Ditto for the pilot's license, I had 30-something type ratings in south africe up to 4-engine turboprops,

It probably needs to be explained here that those "type ratings" are not the same as type ratings in the US (or other western countries). Under ICAO many member states require a "type rating" for any aircraft one may want to operate (such as a C-150, C-172, PA-28, etc) A "type rating" is little more than what we consider in the US as a aircraft "check out".

That was at the end of apartheid and I couldn't validate a license from a country that didn't exist anymore.

South Africa has always been a part of ICAO and followed the various ICAO Annexes. Validation would have not been an issue.

And that C-150 was the toughest thing i had ever flown, like to never got the hang of it. Heavier planes are much easier than lighter. I'd never been in the left seat of a single engine plane before.

But in previous postings you write about flying single engine planes in South Africa? :dunno:

Last edited:
They didn't even use the word "purpose".
Hardly. It is at best intimated as a possible violation depending on factors not specified.
Whatever, Ron. Seemed pretty clear to me and most everyone else in the last thread except you. Why don't you write the chief counsel and get an interpretation of the interpretation if your still unclear as to the intent.

BTW...when are you going to quit trying to make up for the neighborhood kids doing this to you when you were a kid.

182.jpg

:rofl:

It probably needs to be explained here that those "type ratings" are not the same as type ratings in the US (or other western countries). Under ICAO many member states require a "type rating" for any aircraft one may want to operate (such as a C-150, C-172, PA-28, etc) A "type rating" is little more than what we consider in the US as a aircraft "check out".

South Africa has always been a part of ICAO and followed the various ICAO Annexes. Validation would have not been an issue.

But in previous postings you write about flying single engine planes in South Africa? :dunno:
actually each type is a proper checkride with an examiner. Our chief pilot was an examiner for most types we operated. The bigger rusaian types they sent us to georgia to get our type in a sim there, which was then recognized by SA.

we did have some single engine planes, mostly PA32's, but i didn't spend much time in them and none single pilot.

i wish you had been at the fsdo when I tried to validate my license, there was just too much pushback and in the end I decided it was easier to start from scratch. Maybe you can fight city hall but I wasn't up to it.

i wish you had been at the fsdo when I tried to validate my license, there was just too much pushback and in the end I decided it was easier to start from scratch. Maybe you can fight city hall but I wasn't up to it.

I've done validations, honestly I can't see the "pushback" since SA is an ICAO state and the procedure is fairly simple from the FSDO standpoint. :dunno:

I've done validations, honestly I can't see the "pushback" since SA is an ICAO state and the procedure is fairly simple from the FSDO standpoint. :dunno:
this was 1992-93. there was a lot of turmoil.

Back