Can air carriers blacklist passengers?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Here's a question... considering things like this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6207614.html

Could air carriers theoretically maintain a blacklist for sue-happy passengers? Like tell these folks, sure, fine, produce receipts for all these things you're claiming and we'll reimburse you, but then you and your families are no longer welcome to fly with Continental. And then pass that information onto other air carriers?

Or would that be a big no-no?

Here's a question... considering things like this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6207614.html

Could air carriers theoretically maintain a blacklist for sue-happy passengers? Like tell these folks, sure, fine, produce receipts for all these things you're claiming and we'll reimburse you, but then you and your families are no longer welcome to fly with Continental. And then pass that information onto other air carriers?

Or would that be a big no-no?

Yes, they could, and do, maintain a black list and "selectee" list of their own. Generally, that list is not shared with other carriers (though it may be shared with partners - assume that a blacklist on DL would be shared with NW and vice-versa).

I'd think "lawsuit" is not a criteria, but in-flight disruptions may be. See the recent case of the Muslims that were de-boarded from a flight and the airline was refusing to carry them (they ended up on another airline with the assistance of the FBI).

A business can refuse service for any reason they so chose as long as it's not based on race, creed, color, religion or gender nor any other attribute a court has determinee to be a protected status.

Being a troublemaker, attorney, lover of litigation or drunk are acceptable reasons for refusal of service.

why not? flying is not a right, there is no reason that they cant pick and chose who they allow on their airplanes.

Melissa Craft says she twisted in her seat to make sure she wasn’t paralyzed

What a friggin moron.

Well perhaps they could blacklist for certain things like inflight disruption etc. But there are certain rules governing what are called common carriers and how they treat and deal with pax. Common carriers are businesses such as bus companies Rail roads and I would suggest airlines. Not saying they could not ban for sure but it may be trickier than some suggest.

Yes, Part 121 airlines are "common carriers," and in general must carry all who show up with the posted fare as long as there are seats available. I'm sure there are legal means to blacklist individuals based on past behavior, but I'm equally sure they would have to be able to demonstrate cause (in court, even, if called upon to do so). In addition, I'm pretty sure that a monetary dispute over lost baggage or the like would not be sufficient cause, but repeatedly causing trouble in the air, say, by refusing to obey crew instructions, smoking in the lav, etc, probably would be. A cruise through Westlaw or Lexis/Nexis (if you have the access -- I don't anymore) looking for cases involving common carriers and refusal to accept passengers will probably produce cases on point.

Well perhaps they could blacklist for certain things like inflight disruption etc. But there are certain rules governing what are called common carriers and how they treat and deal with pax. Common carriers are businesses such as bus companies Rail roads and I would suggest airlines. Not saying they could not ban for sure but it may be trickier than some suggest.
There has got to be a way for them to be able to ban. Our library banned its first person a few years ago. It took a judges order but we were able to do it.

Herb Kelleher of Southwest is known for answering a b*y complaint with "Please do not fly our airline again." He puts an emphasis in backing up his crew.

Then he has a damned good crew.

A recent example of being "blacklisted" would be Victoria Osteen (wife of cult guru Joel Osteen). When she had her altercation with the flight attendant on Continental a while back, she was essentially banned from flying commercial. (She was cited for disrupting the duties of the cabin crew)

She now flys with the company I previously worked for (of course, only on the Legacy). Though she won the civil court case with the flight attendant, the word is she still is not welcome on board commercial flights.

this is really p***ing me off ... and I'm afraid I'm on the verge of being caught up in the middle of it.

"negligently aborted takeoff" ... what a load of crap!

this is really p***ing me off ... and I'm afraid I'm on the verge of being caught up in the middle of it.

"negligently aborted takeoff" ... what a load of crap!

From the firm's homepage...

The Gibson Law firm, based in Houston is following the investigation closely and will be pursuing legal action against Continental if necessary, on behalf of those who were aboard the flight. In Texas, personal injury victims can be compensated, as well as those who suffer from Mental Anguish only, or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). If you or one of your family members was aboard Continental Flight 1404, we are available for immediate legal advice and representation.
Emphasis mine. Sounds like Texas legislature needs to fix that loophole.

Edit: Seriously. Look at this practice area list:

http://www.jag-lawfirm.com/practice_area.html

Ugh.

Back