Can a Cancer survivor pass a medical exam

U

Unregistered

I'm not exactly sure how to write to a forum.. i guess but i have a question that i hope someone out there might be able to help me with. Well a couple questions I guess. Considering my having cancer, making some irresponsible decisions in college, and my past prescription for xanax.. with all that aside, IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY OF ME RECEIVING MY PILOTS LICENSE?

A couple months after my 21st birthday I was diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin lymphoma. I received ABVD chemotherapy over a span of approx 7 months. I had a 5 hr chemo infusion every other monday. Part of what kept me going in those times was a gift my mother gave me... the gift of flight. She paid for me to pursue my dream. I took flying lessons in houston when i was on my off week of chemo and I never felt as happy as I did when I was in the air. Flying is in my blood, and i knew from the second i stepped into a cockpit and taxied over to the runway that this was for me. Sorry for the story, but i'm trying to find SOMEONE who knows SOMETHING about this situation.

SUMMARY
1.) I was diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin lymphoma in 2010 at 21 years old and have been in remission for approx 4 years
2.) I Received 3 tickets (one of which was dropped) for public intoxication between 2008 and 2011 in Austin Tx. Public Intoxication is considered a class C misdemeanor, so they're technically the lowest on the crime severity ladder, but ARE alcohol related non the less
3.) I was given xanax (alprazolam) from oncologist for SITUATIONAL anxiety for scans, tests etc.

Is there anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on this for me? I've logged 32 hours and feel more than capable in a cockpit. I realize that some of these health issues etc from my past will put a ceiling on my flying as far as pursuing a career in the industry goes, but is there any hope for me to complete my training as just a basic private pilot? If theres anyone out there that can point me in the direction of a good lawyer and/or Med Examiner, I'd really appreciate it. Again, any advice helps.

Drew

I'm maybe not much help, but I think your PIs are a much bigger problem than the cancer. I'm a cancer survivor of one of the least aggressive and most curable versions, thyroid cancer. Clean for five years prior to reviving my flying hobby and trying to get a new CL.III medical, it took a special issuance but I got it.

Your case will be reviewed by an actual human being that is going to look to judgement and character almost as much as clinical health. Glad you're in remission but that is not the same as being clean. The PI's and the Xanex will not be helpful.

Build your budget around having an instructor with you, or just make friends with a pilot and ride along.

Last edited:
You can not obviously fly with the XANAX but if it was just to get you through your treatment issues of the cancer that has been resolved, it shouldn't be an issue. Of course, this coupled with the other substance abuse may trigger some inquiries (and that can be costly if it ends up with a full PPP workup).

The fact that they are "only class C" misdemeanors isn't the issues. THREE convictions or any other actions (i.e., class C convictions that were subsequently set aside) for ALCOHOL or DRUG related items (which this qualifies) is going to require a mandatory deferral. You're going to need to submit a personal statmement about your substance abuse, a ten year driving record to show there aren't any more actions against you, and all your court/probation records with regard to the charges. You're also going to be asked for a full substance abuse evaluation from someone that the FAA recognizes (which for practical purposes for you is a HIMS AME).

The lymphoma is actually a more straight forward situation. With a current status that from your oncologist that the disease is still in remission the AME can issue as log as there was no recurrances or progression in the disease after the first detection / treatment. If there was, it's a deferral and a special issuance.

I would recommend finding a HIMS AME as a result of your alcohol problems. Doctor Bruce Chien (www.aeromedicaldoc.com) who also hangs out on the AOPA forums is one of these who can provide consultation on this so as not to jeopardize your ability to go sport pilot if he feels you'll probably not have an easy time with the FAA.

IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY OF ME RECEIVING MY PILOTS LICENSE?
There are Pilot options that do not require an FAA medical. Those may be your best bet for the next few years.

If you do elect to pursue a medical, be very careful in your choice of AMEs. And DO NOT start the official process until you are sure you will pass to avoid getting locked out of non-FAA-medical options that may or may not be available in the future.

I would consider the light sport option. See how that goes,if you like it you can reach out to Dr. Bruce.

Yes, there is a protocol for issuing a medical certificate to a cancer survivor. The SSRI and alcohol issues will probably be bigger barriers than the cancer if it's in remission for an extended period. The best person to talk to about all that is Dr. Bruce Chien, MD, AME, ATP, CFI, whom you can find either via his website or on the AOPA Forums.

Speaking from experience, early on after finishing treatment and getting an all-clear you can probably get an SI. Further down the road (say 5+ years) CAMI might be able to put you back in the non-SI pool for regular medical issuance. It depends on the type of cancer, so as others have suggested, you need to seek out an AME who is an expert working with the OKC folks.

And the non-cancer stuff is your bigger issue here.

I'm not exactly sure how to write to a forum.. i guess but i have a question that i hope someone out there might be able to help me with. Well a couple questions I guess. Considering my having cancer, making some irresponsible decisions in college, and my past prescription for xanax.. with all that aside, IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY OF ME RECEIVING MY PILOTS LICENSE?

A couple months after my 21st birthday I was diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin lymphoma. I received ABVD chemotherapy over a span of approx 7 months. I had a 5 hr chemo infusion every other monday. Part of what kept me going in those times was a gift my mother gave me... the gift of flight. She paid for me to pursue my dream. I took flying lessons in houston when i was on my off week of chemo and I never felt as happy as I did when I was in the air. Flying is in my blood, and i knew from the second i stepped into a cockpit and taxied over to the runway that this was for me. Sorry for the story, but i'm trying to find SOMEONE who knows SOMETHING about this situation.

SUMMARY
1.) I was diagnosed with stage 3 hodgkin lymphoma in 2010 at 21 years old and have been in remission for approx 4 years
2.) I Received 3 tickets (one of which was dropped) for public intoxication between 2008 and 2011 in Austin Tx. Public Intoxication is considered a class C misdemeanor, so they're technically the lowest on the crime severity ladder, but ARE alcohol related non the less
3.) I was given xanax (alprazolam) from oncologist for SITUATIONAL anxiety for scans, tests etc.

Is there anyone out there who might be able to shed some light on this for me? I've logged 32 hours and feel more than capable in a cockpit. I realize that some of these health issues etc from my past will put a ceiling on my flying as far as pursuing a career in the industry goes, but is there any hope for me to complete my training as just a basic private pilot? If theres anyone out there that can point me in the direction of a good lawyer and/or Med Examiner, I'd really appreciate it. Again, any advice helps.

Drew

Drew, I'm in Houston, have worked with dr. Bruce and got my medical back after a cancer diagnosis. I dont' have the other issues, but PM me if you'd like to talk. I can make the connection between you and Dr. Bruce.

Mark

As other said, but not clearly enough - if you don't attempt an FAA medical, you can fly sport pilot. If you attempt an FAA Medical and are denied, you can not fly sport pilot. A consultation about FAA medicals with an AME can give you more detailed info about your likelihood of being denied or deferred.

That being said, Xanax for situational issues, and more than 2 years since you have taken, can be documented by a PhD psychiatrist and the AME can certify with documentation.

As your youthful indiscretions did not involve a motor vehicle, may not be a big barrier. At least as you described, they go in box 18w, and seems to be up to the AME what they want to do with that info. Note, only convictions go there. Arrests are a different box.
FAA guidance to AME on box 18w:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...m/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item18/w/

Now, if you weren't complete in the description, and your issue falls under box 18v, well that will take time, lots of treatment, and lots of money, and it may or may not be possible to certify:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...m/ame/guide/app_process/app_history/item18/v/

Read 18v very carefully. Driving while under influence OR arrest/conviction that impacted your driving privileges OR arrest/conviction that got you into class/rehab or class/rehab got you out of the conviction but there is a record of government involvement.

And as others noted, cancer in remission, with appropriate documentation, should not be an issue.

For all above issues, appropriate documentation is judged by the FAA, not the physician providing the information. Be sure to get guidance from a well qualified AME or Regional Flight Surgeon on what the documentation must contain. Failure to follow those steps can likely end up in deferral and possible denial. If you can't provide the documentation, they will deny you.

As other said, but not clearly enough - if you don't attempt an FAA medical, you can fly sport pilot.
It's not automatic. You have to consult the physician(s) treating you for the disqualifying condition(s) and together determine that you can safely fly as a Sport Pilot. See here for details.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back