Camping Trip to Petit Jean was a blast!

mitchellfstafford

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mitchell
Just got back to KC from my 3 day trip to Petit Jean State Park in Morrilton, AR.

First off, the couple that manage the Airport/Campgrounds at Petit Jean Airpark (MPJ) are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. I forgot my memory card for my digital camera and Chris stopped at Wal-Mart and picked me one up. Made my trip. Got so many great pictures.

The campgrounds are pretty awesome. 5 individual campgrounds, each with a picnic table, lantern holder, fire pit, electricity and running water. And about 20 feet away is bathroom with a shower.

It was gorgeous weather the entire time I was down there. It got a bit cold at night, and I figured that out the hard way the first night by not having on enough layers. I did enjoy a nice campfire both nights that made the whole trip worthwhile.

The State Park is about a 5 minute drive from the airport and Chris was glad to drive me over there and pick me up. The hiking there is great. Nothing too hard, and the most gorgeous views. Had a blast with all of the beautiful scenery and enjoyed the best night of sleep I've had in a long time.

Overall, it was a great trip and anyone thinking of camping out down there should make the trip.

Here is link to a slideshow of the hike I took:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXeJNYIV-g

Glad you had a good trip!

When we were down there a few years ago, the airport was unmanned, so you had to call a park ranger to come pick you up if you wanted to go over to that side of the lake. Glad to hear they have someone looking over things on the 'right' side of the lake now. ;)

Great pics, by the way!!

They were both very nice. The husband is a pilot flying corporate King Airs and Citations. He's down to a day or two a week of flying with the way the economy is. Truly nice people and fun to talk aviation with.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they have self service fuel set up and runway/taxiway lights set up at Petit Jean (MPJ). The self service fuel was being finished as I landed, and the lights were put in about a month ago.

Nice photos. :) I could almost smell the smoke from that campfire. :) Thanks for the PIREP on the park and camping there. :) I bet the flight down and back was really pretty with the trees peaking.
The campgrounds are pretty awesome. 5 individual campgrounds, each with a picnic table, lantern holder, fire pit, electricity and running water. And about 20 feet away is bathroom with a shower.

Did the shower have hot water?

Mitchell: Great video. The park is beautiful. It looks like you hit it about right to see the beginning of beautiful fall leaves. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Nice photos. :) I could almost smell the smoke from that campfire. :) Thanks for the PIREP on the park and camping there. :) I bet the flight down and back was really pretty with the trees peaking.

Did the shower have hot water?

The flight down was surprisingly quick. 20 mph winds out of 180 when I took off, I was thinking it would take while. But at 5500 I got about a 5 mph tailwind. Beautiful weather the whole way down. Not a cloud in the sky.

Coming back was a little more eventful. Got stuck waiting for 2 hours coming back because the mountains (hills) north of that valley were all fogged in. Once I got up though great tail winds at 6500, 4500 and even better down low (though it was a little bumpy). Descending back into KC, indicating 100 I was getting 128 ground speed. Not bad for a 1959 172.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/musicmanmitch/?action=view&current=054.jpg

And yes... The shower was great. So nice to be able to enjoy nature, sitting in front of a campfire every night with all the sights, sounds and smells while having the luxuries of electricity, running water and a bath house with toilets and hot showers.

awesome. I still owe Leah a trip down there sometime.

Back