Camping airports in the Appalachians?

Tarheel Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheel Pilot
Are there any airports that allow you to camp out with your aircraft? If not, is there one that has a camp ground near the airport?

The Airport in Sevierville Tn (gatlinburg/pigon forge KGKT) Has camping areas about 2 miles from the airport. The airport was voted the best GA airport in TN last year. I'm sure the guys there would give you a lift to the camping area. Pigon Forge/ dollywood is about 5 miles away and Gatlinburg is another 5 miles. They have an awsome Aquarium with a glass tunnel you can go under the shark tank.

Are there any airports that allow you to camp out with your aircraft? If not, is there one that has a camp ground near the airport?

Yes, and yes... I just don't know the good ones in the Appalachians.

For those in the Midwest, I recommend 6Y9 (Ed's - He'll tell you about it :goofy:), 40D (Boat rental, c-store, and restaurant right across the street next to the lake), or 63C (cheap fuel, extremely nice people, fire pit, 24-hr bathrooms w/showers).

The Airport in Sevierville Tn (gatlinburg/pigon forge KGKT) Has camping areas about 2 miles from the airport. The airport was voted the best GA airport in TN last year. I'm sure the guys there would give you a lift to the camping area. Pigon Forge/ dollywood is about 5 miles away and Gatlinburg is another 5 miles. They have an awsome Aquarium with a glass tunnel you can go under the shark tank.
I just spent a few days in Gatlinberg this week. I deffinitly recommend it. I actualy didnt know there was a place close by to camp. If you get a chance though and rent a car, take a look at some of the local places including Cades cove, Ripley's Aquarium, and at the top of the Ober Gatlinberg ski lift there is an ice skating rink thats a lot of fun. If you're really adventurious theres a lot of hikes to see some awesome waterfalls. As far as pidgeon forge goes, theres a neat dinner/show called the Dixie Stampede that has a mix of great horsemanship tricks and even some comedy not to mention an AWESOME dinner! The only other thing I know is there is a small airplane museum on the field, I've never been to it though. Good luck!

Not in the Smokies, but west of there in Arkansas, there is a state park with a paved runway with seperate camping for airplane folks. Petit Jean, Arkansas (KMPJ). The 'airport' is actually across the pond/lake from the majority of the state park, but on-field camping is complete with raised pea gravel tent areas, campfire rings, electricity plug-ins, and even a nice bathhouse. The state park provides a shuttle to get from the airport to the lodge and other perks of the park. hehe. There are some really cool hiking trails leading to waterfalls and other interesting areas on the 'mountain' there. It's actually a pretty cool setup with the airport being on-site with the state park. No FBO services at the field, though.

There is a website for the state park, but I'm at work and don't have the address handy. It doesn't mention a lot about the airport, but it is a good, long, wide runway in good ashphalt shape.

-Chris

Not in the Smokies, but west of there in Arkansas, there is a state park with a paved runway with seperate camping for airplane folks. Petit Jean, Arkansas (KMPJ). The 'airport' is actually across the pond/lake from the majority of the state park, but on-field camping is complete with raised pea gravel tent areas, campfire rings, electricity plug-ins, and even a nice bathhouse. The state park provides a shuttle to get from the airport to the lodge and other perks of the park. hehe. There are some really cool hiking trails leading to waterfalls and other interesting areas on the 'mountain' there. It's actually a pretty cool setup with the airport being on-site with the state park. No FBO services at the field, though.

There is a website for the state park, but I'm at work and don't have the address handy. It doesn't mention a lot about the airport, but it is a good, long, wide runway in good ashphalt shape.

-Chris

That's just what I'm looking for! Thanks! :D

I'll check out gatlinburg/pigon forge too.

Thanks guys. :)

That's just what I'm looking for! Thanks! :D

I'll check out gatlinburg/pigon forge too.

Thanks guys. :)

Found the website for the Cessna 170 fly-in at Petit Jean last year. My wife and I had planned a trip down there for a few months, then we found out that the 170 group was having a fly-in there that weekend. We went anyway. There are some pics on the site that give an idea of the looks of the area. I'm the one idiot that flew the low-wing RV in there. ;)

http://fp1.centurytel.net/170/

-Chris

Found the website for the Cessna 170 fly-in at Petit Jean last year. My wife and I had planned a trip down there for a few months, then we found out that the 170 group was having a fly-in there that weekend. We went anyway. There are some pics on the site that give an idea of the looks of the area. I'm the one idiot that flew the low-wing RV in there. ;)

http://fp1.centurytel.net/170/

-Chris

lol, that's a nice RV there. After seeing those pics, this is def. the place I'll use as my fly-in camping site. :)

Last edited:
Noble county, I10, in Eastern Ohio has the Wolf Run State park next door and a very nice set of camping sites within easy walking distance.

The only other thing I know is there is a small airplane museum on the field, I've never been to it though. Good luck!

I flew into there, and did go to the museum. It is GREAT. Everything is flyable, and if you are lucky the P-47's will be there. My wife and I got a personal tour from the manager plane by plane.

Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg are fun too, plus there are nice cabins available in the Smoky mountains.

I went on a quest to find airports that would let you camp in the Appalachians a while back and had no such luck. That said, I think many of them would if you just asked.

Since its off season you can get a cabin etc.. right now for cheap.

KGKT has a new airport manager; perhaps visitors should request an onsite camping option? There is plenty of camping space, around the main terminal, so express your desires, and see what happens.

Back