Camping 65% full?

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
With camping 65% full, we will probably camp as SOS brothers and drive up. I may try to work a stint in the Warbird tower on Monday, if they need me. I will try to meet as many of you as I can on Monday. Keep posting on the AirVenture pages!

There are a lot of arrivals on opening day, but a lot of departures on opening-day afternoon. Heck, I've come in EARLY (30 mins after field opens) on day #2 and got parked amongst the Mooneys-to-OSH and Bonanzas-to-Osh group. There are a lot of people that get there early and depart before the show even gets started.

Where are you all reading how full it is?

Current as of 7/27/08 @ 5:29 EDT:

General Aviation Areas
[FONT=arial,helvetica]The General Aviation Camping Area is approximately 75% full and the General Aviation Parking Area is approximately 50% full[/FONT]

Current as of 7/27/08 @ 5:29 EDT:

General Aviation Areas
[FONT=arial,helvetica]The General Aviation Camping Area is approximately 75% full and the General Aviation Parking Area is approximately 50% full[/FONT]

The crowd is going to be lower than ever due to the fuel prices.

I'm still undecided if I should bring a small coleman grill or burner for coffee in the a.m. and maybe a dead chicken or so in the evening. Are grills pretty much standard to bring along?

Signed, OshKosh Rookie

I'm still undecided if I should bring a small coleman grill or burner for coffee in the a.m. and maybe a dead chicken or so in the evening. Are grills pretty much standard to bring along?

Signed, OshKosh Rookie

There are definitely several of them in use ever year. Just make sure you keep it a safe distance away from your (and your neighbor's) plane. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a fire extinguisher sitting nearby just to make passers-by have a warm-fuzzy about you using open flame.

No rule against using them, though.

There are definitely several of them in use ever year. Just make sure you keep it a safe distance away from your (and your neighbor's) plane. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a fire extinguisher sitting nearby just to make passers-by have a warm-fuzzy about you using open flame.

No rule against using them, though.

Actually, there is, for charcoal. Camp stoves are OK.

airventure.org aircraft camping guidelines said:
The Oshkosh Fire Department strictly prohibits wood campfires and charcoal grills (per National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards) anywhere in the aircraft camping areas on Wittman Regional Airport grounds.

Careful use of white gas or propane fired camp stoves is allowed in aircraft camping, provided they are used in an area well away from parked aircraft, and that the stove is attended at all times. It is strongly recommended that aircraft near the stove be checked for any fuel fumes or leakage, and the stove be elevated above ground level.

Actually, there is, for charcoal. Camp stoves are OK.

Correct. I assumed the OP was talking about the Coleman white-gas or propane cook stove. Of course, we all know what happens when you 'assume'. ;)

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Anyone on the field that can give us the real-time availability? Thanks[/FONT]

----------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=arial,helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]This report was posted on Tuesday, July 29th, 2008 at 7:30 AM.
The next update is planned for 10:00 AM tomorrow.
[/FONT]

General Aviation Areas
[FONT=arial,helvetica]The General Aviation Camping Area is now full and not accepting new arrivals. This area will reopen when there have been sufficient departures.
The General Aviation Parking Area is also full. Some twin-engine parking is available at the Fixed Base Operators.
[/FONT]

There are several spots open now that people are leaving...they haven't had a chance to start backfilling yet. The spot next to me is open.

Can you fight anyone off from getting that spot???? LOL Just Kidding

We'll be arriving tomorrow (Wednesday) so hopefully they'll let us in.

you can ask to be put at amphib, way south. may let you.I'm in row 63. come on down! Bring beer. :)

Now it looks like I will be helping in the warbird tower on Thursday morning (weather permitting). I have all the kids with me and leaving them would not be wise.
Seriously, who is here? I will be going home tomorrow morning and flying back on Thursday. It would be nice to see some folks. Diana's presentation is Thursday afternoon, but I will be flying out of here on Thursday at 11:30 am.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob
ps I am using the EAA welcome center computer to send this message.

REQUEST!!!!

The Parking Status Page appears to be down. If someone there at OshKosh is near a customer service spot, can you please let them know so they can have a look. I've already sent them an email but they may not be checking them too often.

Thanks!

We went to Fond du Lac about the same time that the aircraft crashed on final for runway 27. I left my tent at the airplane. I brought my sleeping bag and I hope to crash somewhere near the warbirds.

We arrived at 12:45 local, and at 1:30 or so they were filled up to GAC and GAP. Talk about getting lucky. It made registration easy, no one was there but us to register cause no one new was comming in.

Back