Campbell Airport (C81)?

Pjsmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
pjsmith
Anyone on this board fly out of / hangar/ tie down at Campbell Airport near Grayslake, Illinois? I'm doing some due diligence of local airports in an attempt to make buying a plane less economically unfeasilble (how's that for spin, make it a double negative! At least it works with my S.O.).

What does it cost to hangar and what does it cost to tie down out there? Are there decent fuel prices? FBO easy to deal with? What are winter conditions like? I would really appreciate any feedback on this. The numbers are important, but I could easily go over there and figure those out. Just as important is getting a 'feel' for the place.

I've driven out there and checked out the field but didn't stop into the office, which didn't seem to be manned when I was there?!?. Maybe I should have gone to the farm house?? Runways seem a bit 'hilly' to me for paved strips, but otherwise fine looking place.

Pjsmith said:
Anyone on this board fly out of / hangar/ tie down at Campbell Airport near Grayslake, Illinois? I'm doing some due diligence of local airports in an attempt to make buying a plane less economically unfeasilble (how's that for spin, make it a double negative! At least it works with my S.O.).

What does it cost to hangar and what does it cost to tie down out there? Are there decent fuel prices? FBO easy to deal with? What are winter conditions like? I would really appreciate any feedback on this. The numbers are important, but I could easily go over there and figure those out. Just as important is getting a 'feel' for the place.

I've driven out there and checked out the field but didn't stop into the office, which didn't seem to be manned when I was there?!?. Maybe I should have gone to the farm house?? Runways seem a bit 'hilly' to me for paved strips, but otherwise fine looking place.

I got my PPL out of Campbell. The people there a more than friendly. The CFIs are cool as hell

The runways are fine, if you are a Navy pilot used to landing on carriers you should have no problem ;) Seriously tho there is nothing wrong with them.

From my experience the people there are fine with noise abatement. It's not like you are at Lake in the Hills or Schaumburg.

FBO and people there are more than easy to deal with. Just call them up at 847 223 2200 or PM me if you have any other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think outside tiedowns are around $80/month now.

The old wooden hangar is $280/month and there are no berths available. The newer hangars are ditto for space and "if you have to ask.." on the cost.

Snacks, sausages and drinks in the hanger on Jim's Bacci Sundays is always free, but you can chip in.

Come on down. Where else are you going to find two runways to chose from for the price?

I was VERY glad I had one pointing south when I left the other night, and one going west when I got back.

mikea said:

The old wooden hangar is $280/month and there are no berths available. The newer hangars are ditto for space and "if you have to ask.." on the cost.

Snacks, sausages and drinks in the hanger on Jim's Bacci Sundays is always free, but you can chip in.

Come on down. Where else are you going to find two runways to chose from for the price?

I was VERY glad I had one pointing south when I left the other night, and one going west when I got back.

Mike you Ken's friend? :)

mikea said:

Mike, weren't you based at DPA, or am I thinking of someone else?

Elizabeth Hitchcock

Back