calling DA40 pilots

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
All,

I am about to check out in a DA40. What kind of numbers should i realistically expect for cruise and fuel burn?

I fly both a 2006 fixed pitch and 2008 xls with a cs prop and fuel injected.
Both planes see around 130 TAS around 9 gph leaned out. This is with 2 people and full fuel....add more weight and watch the numbers drop quick. If you have a powerflow you will see a slightly higher fuel burn.

I've only got a few hours, but we generally saw 128 to 133 with two people and overnight bags in a 2009 DA40 with a two bladed Hartzell CS prop. Due to terrain we were spending a lot of time at DA's greater than 8000, so we couldn't quite get full manifold pressure for a 75% cruise. At optimum altitudes and conditions I think 140 true might be possible, but I'd be skeptical about 150.

We were 50 rich of peak.

2005 w/PowerFlow and Hartzell 2-blade CS prop

Running 22"/2,400 leaned to 1,500 EGT gets 130-135 TAS @ ~8.5 gal/hr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fly both a 2006 fixed pitch and 2008 xls with a cs prop and fuel injected.
Both planes see around 130 TAS around 9 gph leaned out. This is with 2 people and full fuel....add more weight and watch the numbers drop quick. If you have a powerflow you will see a slightly higher fuel burn.

Wow.

It seems like there are a lot of different experiences out there WRT speed.

In our club DA40 (2006, c/s prop, speed gear, MGW increase, big rudder) at 6500, WOT and 2300 RPM I'll get 145 KTAS at best power (ROP) on 10.5 gph, 140 KTAS leaned to peak EGT on 9 gph, and 135 KTAS LOP on 7.5 gph but I don't do the last because there's a little "tick" that I start hearing in the engine that lean. It's perfectly happy at peak with EGT's all under 350 at around standard OAT.

I plan on 140 and get it, provided I'm not tooling around below about 6000 feet.

Ew... Are they the outfit at KVGT?

If the CFI tells you to fly final at 90 knots with approach flaps in, DO NOT continue to use that CFI. If you find another CFI at the same place who tells you to use that technique, go find a DA40 to rent somewhere else.

90 KIAS is WAY too fast to fly a DA40 on final. Book number for 2535 gross weight is 67 KIAS with full flaps. 90 KIAS and approach flaps, you'll either float for a REALLY long time, or hit nosewheel first.

I ask about KVGT because there was an outfit there with a DA40 that had at least one (bad) CFI who was trying to teach the 90/1 notch approach. They managed to have a prop strike at one point (and this bad CFI was still teaching there months later), which is damn near impossible to do on a properly-flown DA40.

No they're at HND.. However, there's 2 places there with a DA40 to rent..

It will be me and my step kid flying from HND to probably RNM. Was planning on taking 28 gallons of fuel to give me 1 hr reserves.. planning for 8500 going HND TRM JLI RNM will climb to 10500 to clear the mountains between TRM and JLI.

You know it's going to hurt when they don't post their prices.

Not TOO bad.. 174/hr. their cherokee 6 260 is 204, and an arrow is 150

Back