Callaway Gardens... drive do not fly

Rick Wallace

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Avnut
So if you fly into KPIM. Here are your two options... rent a car or use a courtesy car for two hours. If you book a hotel... any hotel. Do not expect a shuttle or any type of transportation between the airport and the hotel. This is not Sea Island, where they bend over backwards to accommodate fly-in guests. Do not expect any form of transportation between Callaway Gardens and the KPIM/Harris County Airport. Do not expect any type of competency of any type getting you from the airport to Callaway Gardens. When you talk to your hotel manager at any of the hotels you are staying at, do not expect anybody to call you back. If you call Callaway Gardens, do not expect a call back for a shuttle service. You need to rent a car(in our case we are arriving Thanksgiving morning and leaving Black Friday morning) and Enterprise rent-a-car is charging us 2 days for the one day we are renting a car. Unfortunately, we have already booked dinner and tickets for the light show.... otherwise we would be flying to a more aviation friendly location.

I thought I came up with most brilliant plan of spending Thanksgiving away from my in-laws(while my kids enjoy the heck out of themselves) AND spending black Friday morning in the air while everybody is scratching and clawing for a $10 deal. BUT unfortunately I decided to fly to Incompetent Gardens.... I mean Callaway Gardens. So just a note to aviators, your business is not appreciated a Callaway. Keep your cubs and citations far far away.

So, you live in Georgia, and you wish to stay in a hotel in Georgia. If the airport arrangements don't please you, can't you just drive there?

Then you wouldn't have to rant.

All that cause no one comped a ride. Holy first world problems. You must be a wreck when something that matters goes wrong.

I used to fly into KPIM when I first got my PPL, 1984-85, my now wife and I would double date with another couple. We'd fly in, go to the Friday night Buffet then felt back to Carrollton. It is about a 50 mile flight, pretty much a $100 hamburger run. We used the pay phone at the airport to call the hotel shuttle, it was more of a flying adventure than a dinner for us.:D
I'm surprised that any hotel won't offer a shuttle for a 2 mile trip? :dunno:

At least there is a courtesy car (albeit for only 2hrs).

Is there not a local cab service that could drive you the short distance?

Let's be honest, when 99.98% of the visitors arrive by car, it's not entirely reasonable to expect them to have a shuttle service for the handful of folks who show up by plane. They should at least have the number of a local taxi though.

To suggest that they must come get us comes across as a bit entitled.

Takeaway here....the last mile can be the most annoying part of a GA trip sometimes.

Last edited:
It sounded more like a Pirep than a rant. Good to know it is not pilot or even tourist friendly.

Actually a Pirep would include more details like the hotel, etc. All we know right now is he is upset because things didn't go his way. Sounds more like a tantrum than a Pirep.

A 2 hour drive by car. Maybe he should have chosen that mode instead.

.....When you talk to your hotel manager at any of the hotels you are staying at, do not expect anybody to call you back......

so, you're staying at or called every hotel in that area and not a single one called you back?

Sounds like someone didn't do proper preflight planning. Next we'll have an interpretation of the 91.103 requiring pilots to assure they have ground transportation and lodging at their destination.

The scenario as-described matches at least 80% of my flight stops. Maybe more.

I love the idea of dissing the courtesy car. "I'mma bang my spoon on the table and demand that the coolies take me in my litter to my destination". Laughable, mon.

News flash: Pilots represent an infinitesimal amount of traffic to the local hotels. They have structured their services accordingly. Additionally, it is highly likely the desk staff don't even know there is an airport nearby, nor that people can fly themselves around in little airplanes. It is novel, it is strange, and it is uninteresting to everyone. The taxi drivers, however, will be more than happy to act impressed in exchange for the collected fare.

You could walk your turkey dinner off. It is about 2 mi through the golf course or 3.5 mi going around.

My wife and two kids packed camp gear and food from W95(Ocracoke) 3 mi north to the campgrounds at night.

Can't comment on the hotel situation there, but KPIM has a tendency to have the best fuel prices in the area and from what I have experienced/heard, the airport folks are good people. I'm surprised to hear that they don't have some sort of airport-to-hotel transportation process set up, though.

FBO personnel are going to be at the airport until 5 PM Thur and said they will ensure one gets taken over there if your hotel won't.

(706) 663-2083

Buy some fuel, add a $20 and have a great time. Take good walking shoes just in case.

Last edited:
Are we only talking a 2 or 3 mile distance, from airport to hotel? If so you should be able to handle that in your sleep. Just hang around the ops building a bit, there's your ride.

Someone will come by, or leave after work, whatever. Just wing it, let it work itself out. There is no need for a rental car.

I used to live in GA and MS, very helpful people scattered about.

Called a mainline hotel. Nope. No shuttle. Called a cheaper one run by immigrants. Yes. My son will pick you up, promptly answered in a pleasant sing-song voice. After check in I walked to the can't do it hotel. Five empoyees standing around doing nothing. Grounds keeper, manager, desk clerk, security guard, and and a woman whose name tag identified her as a guest services hostess.

Grateful for the pirep. Does stand in pretty stark contrast to lots of places I've washed up. Never had trouble getting a ride to the nearest hotel.

Never had a problem ,getting to a hotel.stayed in Delaware one night,next morning the cook drove me to the airport as there where no taxis in the town. Tips have been known to work in these situations.

The most frustrating part was dealing with Callaway Gardens. Nobody knew anything, nobody could find out anything, and nobody would call us back and let us know if it was even a possibility. The Marriot did not have a clue, one manager said he found a shuttle and to call a manager at Callaway Gardens... but she did not even try to facilitate one. Just the utter incompetence is frustrating.

And thanks for the suggestions. We tried calling a taxi, but the nearest one is LaGrange. The fbo folks are super nice on the phone and the last time I flew in for a $100 hamburger. But they could not let us use the courtesy vehicle for more than a couple hours understandably. He said one of the fbo folks might be able to run us over there, but it was not guaranteed depending on how busy it is.

I really should just drive, but then why drive when you can fly? That is 85% of the fun of taking a trip at least for me! So we ate the 2 day rental car fee, and this will be our last trip there.

And I am not walking 3 miles with luggage and a 3 and 5 year old to the hotel. Sorry. And hanging around the fbo hoping to bum a ride for my family is not a good recipe for keeping my family flying with me.

A 2 hour drive by car. Maybe he should have chosen that mode instead.

Really? You would drive? I just got checked out in a da40 with glass, I will use any excuse to fly. Plus these shorter trips are good preparation for the family. I just want everything to be smooth and fun, and hopefully they will look forward to our next trip.

Called a mainline hotel. Nope. No shuttle. Called a cheaper one run by immigrants. Yes. My son will pick you up, promptly answered in a pleasant sing-song voice. After check in I walked to the can't do it hotel. Five empoyees standing around doing nothing. Grounds keeper, manager, desk clerk, security guard, and and a woman whose name tag identified her as a guest services hostess.

Imagine that, an enterprise that actually wanted your business.

Really? You would drive? I just got checked out in a da40 with glass, I will use any excuse to fly. Plus these shorter trips are good preparation for the family. I just want everything to be smooth and fun, and hopefully they will look forward to our next trip.

Yes, there are trips that I would drive.

4 hours in a car or 40 minutes(factoring in both ways) in a plane with a 3 and 5 year old. Seems like a no brainer, plus i somehow bamboozled my wife into her first flight lesson today, should be a blast.

I love Calloway Gardens! My family and I go every year. I have found everyone to be very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Sorry you had a bad experience. I agree with some of the others, the flying community is a small one and don't really deserve special treatment. If I flew in to visit, I would fully expect to make my own transportation arrangements. An extra day of rental is equal to a few gallons of gas. Again, sorry you had a bad experience.

I love Calloway Gardens! My family and I go every year. I have found everyone to be very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Sorry you had a bad experience. I agree with some of the others, the flying community is a small one and don't really deserve special treatment. If I flew in to visit, I would fully expect to make my own transportation arrangements. An extra day of rental is equal to a few gallons of gas. Again, sorry you had a bad experience.

+1.
I've always had good experiences at Callaway Gardens. In the case described by the OP, I would expect to rent a car. If other transportation is available, great. If not, it certainly would not be a deterrent for me. I just consider transportation at the destination as part of the expense of flying.

Last edited:
no way am i getting the airplane out to avoid a 2 hour drive, what a hassle for no reason. Airplanes are for going places, not touring your own state.

no way am i getting the airplane out to avoid a 2 hour drive, what a hassle for no reason. Airplanes are for going places, not touring your own state]

My definition of aviation is whatever I want it to be. I just enjoy it. Instead of joining the local country club, i decided to fly. and I love it. Hope to to see you at an fbo.

And I am not walking 3 miles with luggage and a 3 and 5 year old to the hotel. Sorry. And hanging around the fbo hoping to bum a ride for my family is not a good recipe for keeping my family flying with me.

Well you could always borrow the car to drop the wife, kids and luggage off, check in, and then return the car to the airport. Then you only have to walk/jog/bike/hitchhike/jazzercize back empty handed. I've had to do that before. Doesn't matter though, you've gotten a rental. In the grand scheme of things, a rental is an insignificant but necessary expense.

I hope for the sake of your family you get over your discontentment with the situation before you leave on your trip. It sounds like you're pretty upset with the place. If you're happy, they'll be happy, and will want to fly again. This sounds like a nice short trip by plane that's a lot easier than driving.

Well Enterprise called us back and told us they were only going to charge us for one day, then Callaway finally returned our call(s) from a few days ago and told us they do have a shuttle, but I am not sure I will want to depend on that! Should be a great time.

You have no problem forking out $160/hr or so to rent a glass DA40 but you can't stomach an extra day on the rental car? Sheesh. Be happy there IS a rental car available.

The suggestion to take the crew car and drop off the family sounds like a good one. Make them comfortable, then try and get a ride with the FBO when you get back. No reason to stress over this tiny predicament.

For anybody reading this thread and wondering..

Callaway Gardens is a beautiful place.

I really enjoyed a past visit there and hope to go back again. I wouldn't let any of these easily surmountable issues even make me think twice about going there..

Enjoy..

For anybody reading this thread and wondering..

Callaway Gardens is a beautiful place.

I really enjoyed a past visit there and hope to go back again. I wouldn't let any of these easily surmountable issues even make me think twice about going there..

Enjoy..

And the staff is totally and utterally incompetent. Speaking from a person that owns a service oriented business, it is absolutely unbelievable. If you like Sea Island type competency, this is more like Walmart... they all have to be paid minimum wage.

And the staff is totally and utterally incompetent. Speaking from a person that owns a service oriented business, it is absolutely unbelievable. If you like Sea Island type competency, this is more like Walmart... they all have to be paid minimum wage.

This hostile over not giving you free transportation? Holy hell.....
What service business are you in? Hope you realize that we as pilots are already a minority, why make it seem like we are entitled to free stuff just because we fly instead of drive?

Last edited:

That is your n/1 study. Mine is completely opposite. I have had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend it. Perhaps you should skip it, I'm beginning to to think there is no way you would enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wallace,

I completely understand your desire to take your family on a short getaway via air travel- and I hope it was more of a success than you expected a couple of days ago. I envy you in that I'm sitting in a nice hotel in downtown ATL right now, having spent approx 5 arduous hours in the car piloting the wife, son, his wife, and my 3 dear grandkidlets down here. Oh, to have access to the Big Airplane again. But alas, due to tragic past events the wife won't fly in anything less than a human mailing tube, and certainly won't stand by and allow her progeny to do likewise. So be glad you have spousal support for Vacation Aviation in any form. And I hope her interest in flying...takes off!

I'm hoping for the best tomorrow after a trip to LegoLand:rolleyes2:

There are many, many places to which I've chosen to drive, with a significantly longer travel time, because ground transportation at the destination was a problem.

I used to frequently fly to Gaithersburg, MD, and even there the nearby hotels didn't always know they were close to a GA airport. I had to be prepared to give them specific directions to the airport (no, for the fifth time, not Dulles). I've been to large reliever airports with hotels literally off the end of the runway that did not have shuttle service, didn't have a suggestion for cabs, and told me that I was on my own for ground transportation. I once arrived at a small airport with a single rental car agency that tried to jack up the price of the rental car after my arrival. They didn't win, but only because there was another airport with more ground transportation options nearby.

The reality is that most places either don't know or don't care about offering an accommodation for GA flyers, because we are likely an insignificant (and declining) part of their business. It's understandable. Calling ahead is generally required to arrange ground transportation options at ANY airport. Often, I end up at larger airports with business GA (jet) facilities that will arrange everything for me, but I still have to call ahead. Otherwise, it's anything but a sure thing.

JKG

Mr Wallace,

I completely understand your desire to take your family on a short getaway via air travel- and I hope it was more of a success than you expected a couple of days ago. I envy you in that I'm sitting in a nice hotel in downtown ATL right now, having spent approx 5 arduous hours in the car piloting the wife, son, his wife, and my 3 dear grandkidlets down here. Oh, to have access to the Big Airplane again. But alas, due to tragic past events the wife won't fly in anything less than a human mailing tube, and certainly won't stand by and allow her progeny to do likewise. So be glad you have spousal support for Vacation Aviation in any form. And I hope her interest in flying...takes off!

I'm hoping for the best tomorrow after a trip to LegoLand:rolleyes2:

My favorite mentor encourages me to keep things in perspective. My wife is like yours, she won't fly with me in my Warrior. If it isn't Boeing, she isn't going! It would be wonderful to have the expense and hassle of renting a car at any GA destination but the wife won't hear of it.

All the best, Avnut.
This place is just..........wow.

Back