Call me Lucky

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Yesterday: HDG 300*, Winds Aloft 9000 33054

Today: HDG 150*, Winds Aloft 9000 12022

This year I have had less than a handful of flights with a tailwind. Something like 3 out of >100 flights.

Hey at least you don't have thunderstorms that follow you around.
Come to think of it...When I flew with you, not only did we see my T-storms, but we also got your headwind.
hmmm...

You know- you have less than a 50% chance of getting a tailwind assuming random directions for wind and your direction of flight. Even if the wind is directly abeam, you need to correct for it and this will eat into your ground speed. If you have a slower plane, the wind may need to be several degrees abaft for you to be a point free (where the wind actually pushes you).

Holy cow! A guy correctly uses a nautical term and he's in NE to boot. Well done, Cap.

OTOH, my flight have been all points of the compass so I think it remarkable I get almost a direct hdwnd on most every flight.

Abaft. I thought you were just making that up. :D

That's my word of the day.

Richard, Nebraska has a Navy.:yes::)

My dad is such an Admiral; he taught navigation in Nebraska near the end of WW-II. THe certificate has a prairie schooner on it, labeled "Ship of State."

My dad is such an Admiral; he taught navigation in Nebraska near the end of WW-II. THe certificate has a prairie schooner on it, labeled "Ship of State."

Nice, Spike! My Uncle is also an Admiral. I remember the certificate hanging in his office when I was a kid. It always confused the hell out of me.:D:D

Last week on a flight from Clarksville Tn to St.Louis and back I had tail winds (13kts) at 4500ft going up and tailwinds (22kts) at 7500ft for the return 6 hrs later.

Last week on a flight from Clarksville Tn to St.Louis and back I had tail winds (13kts) at 4500ft going up and tailwinds (22kts) at 7500ft for the return 6 hrs later.
Glad I could help.

OR,

I see your 13 kt tailwind and raise you with a 38 kt headwind.

Today the ATIS was 06019G25 so RWY 8 was in use. Then I heard TWR report 26011G22 for a guy on short final. I was still 7 nm out and the patt was busy so I was wondering what I should expect. I continued....

Then TWR reports winds 09012G22. I landed RWY 8. This all happened within 10 minutes. It's been this way for weeks. Winds aloft have been strong but also suceptable to wide changes in direction.

My good friend and his wife both are from NE. They love the red. It's a running joke...them being from NE and all.

Last edited:
and here it is ... (of course, the presence of green trees and hills give lie to the photo's location)

That's not nearly as good as your Coast Guard photo. :D

Jack was amazed the first time he visited Nebraska. I took him on a tour of Lincoln and he couldn't believe that we had trees.

Yesterday: HDG 300*, Winds Aloft 9000 33054

Today: HDG 150*, Winds Aloft 9000 12022

This year I have had less than a handful of flights with a tailwind. Something like 3 out of >100 flights.

Just think of it as more hours of flight time! :goofy:

Jack was amazed the first time he visited Nebraska. I took him on a tour of Lincoln and he couldn't believe that we had trees.
I spent a year in St. Paul, NE as a kid ... I remember taking turns with all the neighborhood kids to climb the town tree ...

From 30,000 feet, the trees all seem to be around the streams between Denver and Illoinois.

Eastern Nebraska is actually quite hilly- the hills aren't very tall and they have gentle slopes, but they are there. Southern NJ and Northern Indiana are actually flatter- it's harder to see because the trees hide it.

Back