California to Georgia

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
Well, as luck would have it, I get to bring that Cirrus back home to GA. Booked my airline ticket. Should arrive in LAX around 1000 and then a quick drive up (pls no traffic) to VNY and off I go.

I'll be solo this time so I'm planning on overnighting somewhere. Judging by the weather, I'll be happy to make it east of ELP/ABQ.

I'm hoping In & Out won't be terrible this time.

Given city traffic in CA. (so I've heard) You'll be lucky to make it to AZ on the first day. ;)

Well, as luck would have it, I get to bring that Cirrus back home to GA. Booked my airline ticket. Should arrive in LAX around 1000 and then a quick drive up (pls no traffic) to VNY and off I go.

I'll be solo this time so I'm planning on overnighting somewhere. Judging by the weather, I'll be happy to make it east of ELP/ABQ.

I'm hoping In & Out won't be terrible this time.

No traffic? Quick drive? rotflmfao. Maybe at 1000 it won't be that brutal.
Are you getting a rental?
Depending on where you are picking up the plane at VNY this could get you in walking distance.
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_VNY.aspx?id=270

I would have went with you if you had asked.

Dang, I'd have gone right seat with you! Try to get 16R coming out of VNY. Travel safe, bud!

I would have went with you if you had asked.

Dang, I'd have gone right seat with you! Try to get 16R coming out of VNY. Travel safe, bud!

If I had more warning, I would have asked if anyone wanted to fill the right seat (if I got permission). I like bringing people with me and having trips like this is are great opportunities to learn and see the U.S.

I got the call 7 hours ago in Tampa. My plane leaves ATL in 9 hours. I'll sleep on the plane. I'm planning on taking Uber from LAX to VNY like I did last time. It was painless but that was probably because it was 2230.

Thanks all. I'll be sure to post some pictures and a write-up on the first day sometime tomorrow night.

Last edited:
No traffic? Quick drive? rotflmfao. Maybe at 1000 it won't be that brutal.
Are you getting a rental?
Depending on where you are picking up the plane at VNY this could get you in walking distance.
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_VNY.aspx?id=270

Just landed an am on the bus now. $8 to a spot within walking distance of VNY? Ill take it anyday.

my sister lives in LAX and she uses Uber on a regular basis to and from her apartment from the LAX airport.

Can we get the tail number of the Cirrus? would love to see the route you are planning on taking as you go! As I some day hope to fly my 182 out to LA and back! Good luck and have fun!

http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhall/la-me-uber-lax-20150826-story.html

Since when is Uber not allowed at LAX? I see them there all the time.

SFO is a different story.
I seemed to work when i opened it up. I just didnt use it.

my sister lives in LAX and she uses Uber on a regular basis to and from her apartment from the LAX airport.

Can we get the tail number of the Cirrus? would love to see the route you are planning on taking as you go! As I some day hope to fly my 182 out to LA and back! Good luck and have fun!

Ill post as much information as i can without giving the tail number away. Id prefer to keep that private for the owner.

Pictures will come soon. This leg wasnt as smooth as i wanted it to be, thats for sure. I had a lot of fun on the initial climb and departure out of the VNY area.

Did you end up getting to AZ? Edit just saw your not the one who said AZ. Where ya at!?

Last edited:
I just noticed you're first post said you were in Tampa and your location is GA. What do you do exactly? Ferry and or deliver aircrafts? Airplane repo? Hahaha

I just noticed you're first post said you were in Tampa and your location is GA. What do you do exactly? Ferry and or deliver aircrafts? Airplane repo? Hahaha

Whatever my boss tells me to do. :D

I did promise a write-up last night but I think the 4,000' altitude and 2 unusually alcoholic beers did me in. I'd like to get into it tonight because I have a lot of great pictures. But, I have an early show for an Orlando flight in the morning so we'll see.

So, here we go.

Hopped on a DAL 767-300 direct to LAX and got the middle seat in the middle aisle. It really wasn't all that bad. I had a lot of leg room and a TV. 4 hours wheels up to wheels down. Landed in LAX, took the LAWA bus ($8 one way) to VNY. Got a ride to the hotel and got the airplane ready to go. The weather was poor and deteriorating so I wanted to get going quickly.

I filed the ADAMM1 departure for 16R and then the airways at 11,000 all the way to Texas. This leg would be in the neighborhood of 4 hours and change. Being solo, I planned to stay overnight in TX, get some rest, and then finish the rest on Wed.

I was sure to give myself a good briefing on the departure plan, emergency procedures, and planned route because I was in an unfamiliar area, flying single pilot, in the soup. Being intimately familiar with the G430 and Avidyne systems made my life a lot easier. I was IMC and fighting the weather 80% of this leg.

The storm cells that did build along my route of flight weren't an issue because they all moved north off of the airway before I got there. Sometime in the last hour, the weather rose up above 11k and left me alone for a beautiful sunset approach into my destination. A smooth landing and short taxi later, I shut down and packed the airplane up for the night. I was glad to be on the ground because that first leg was causing me most of my concern. The rest of the flight should be a breeze based on the forecasts.

More to come...

Just landed an am on the bus now. $8 to a spot within walking distance of VNY? Ill take it anyday.

Glad it worked out for you. Before 9/11 you could park, get ticket and boarding pass and check baggage at VNY. Get on bus, ride to LAX, get off bus, get on airplane. It still beats driving to and parking at LAX if your up North.

Back