California flying today :)

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
It was a great day of flying in California. :)

First I had my lesson at Barnes Aviation in the Citabria. We did spins and hammerheads and plan to do more in the morning. He has a Pitts and is going to take me for a ride tomorrow if the winds don’t kick up. He’s not only a great instructor, but a really nice guy as well.

The winds today gusted to 30 knots with a crosswind. I had him do the landing, and he did a great job. It was rather challenging to taxi.

Michael flew in as we were taxiing back, so I didn’t get to watch his landing. ;)

Then Michael and I flew to Paso Robles to pick up Richard. What a pleasure to finally meet him! We had a good visit coming and going and got to sit in his airplane. Attached is a picture of his Stinson. Nice bird! I want one!

The three of us flew on to meet Chris (AirBaker) at Watsonville. Funny, we didn’t even know his name or what he looked like and we went around asking people if they were AirBaker as he watched us from afar at the restaurant. I hope he got to the wedding on time. ;)

Michael and I flew back to Lancaster as the sun set, hit some “out of the seat” turbulence coming over the mountains and after much searching, found the airport in the dark. It was even harder finding our way around Lancaster in the dark after leaving the airport.

It was a great day and I thank Michael for taking me flying, Chris for buying lunch and Richard for his hospitality and for his gifts of the local area. :)

Last edited:
Hey,
It was great meeting up with the 3 of you today as well. I did enjoy watching you question the other people at the airport though! :) Made it to the wedding on time, just a few miles up the coast.

We'll just be back from our honeymoon by Oct 15th, but maybe we can swing the trip out to Sedona. I've got to check on our place at Bullhead anyways.

Oh, and I only 'helped' with lunch. :)

-Chris
aka AirBaker

It was very nice to have visted with y'all. This was Michael's 3rd attempt to hook up with me. The 1st attempt is when Michael and Diana were waylayed in Buttonwillow.

True to form, the days prior to Michael and Diana's impending visit were CAVU with no fog. The day before and the day of their visit there were high winds and fairly thick coastal fog. The worst part of that was we didn't follow the beautiful coast up to Monterey area. Today brought clear blue skies on the coast with winds up to 9 Kts and it's forecast to calm down for the rest of the week. Vis today was +50 nm.

Richard said:
It was very nice to have visted with y'all.
Thanks Richard, and thanks again for the Chardonnay; it's quite good. :)

Richard said:
The worst part of that was we didn't follow the beautiful coast up to Monterey area.
That will give us something to look forward to next time. :yes:

Thanks guys. It was nice meeting Chris, and Richard for the first time, And always a good time with Diana. Richard, maybe you can hook up with Chris for a ride out to Sedona if you dont bring your neat little plane.

Richard said:
Oh yeah, 160-185 GS with a O-320. Michael's Mooney was a blast.

Isnt that just the coolest thing to see out of such a small engine? Diana and I had 170 most of the way back to Lancaster and this morning I had 180 all the way home :)

Michael said:
Isnt that just the coolest thing to see out of such a small engine? Diana and I had 170 most of the way back to Lancaster and this morning I had 180 all the way home :)

That reminds me. On the leg to Lancaster after dropping me off did your GS pick up the further east you went? Remember I predicted higher GS to the east. Also, what alt did you fly?

Yes Diana, send some to me please :)

Richard, you were right on with the weather as usual. Our groundspeed increased as we headed east. we flew at 7.5

Not a bad time at all! I forgot I need to check with the MRS to see what our chances of making Sedona is... :) If it works out, we could probably give you a lift Richard

AFAIK, we have exactly one picture of Diana from the trip. She is camera shy but I don't know why. Diana, you gonna' post that pic? Please.......pretty please.

why not post them all here. I'd love to see what y'all did, and I'm sure others would too.

Unless they're secret....

Richard said:
AFAIK, we have exactly one picture of Diana from the trip. She is camera shy but I don't know why. Diana, you gonna' post that pic? Please.......pretty please.
Richard, how can I say no when you ask like that? :)

NickDBrennan said:
why not post them all here. I'd love to see what y'all did, and I'm sure others would too.
Nick, here's a few more. I'm not sure where in CA we were in the photos from the air, maybe Richard knows. Michael and I were impressed with Richard's landing light, so had to get a picture of it. :)
NickDBrennan said:
Unless they're secret....
Like Richard says "What happens in California stays in CA" ;)

Back