California Fire flying . . .

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
its amazing watching the big tankers come in over the reservoir - which is twin kidney shaped, and they guys are landing in a narrow spot and turning the airplane in the water, using rudder, and turning to hit the lower edge to the north - it is seriously good flying -

these guys are good sticks . . .

When I was last in Colorado Springs, there was a MASSIVE fire east of the USAF Academy.

It's amazing to see a DC-10 in low altitude slow flight dropping icky red stuff.

We had a fire in Jackson last year.. Watching the bombers are pretty kool....What I REALLY enjoyed was listening to the radio conversations between the bombers, high birds and especially the "follow me guy"" in the lead plane.... Those guys are DAMN good.... Grab a handheld and enjoy the show..

dropping icky red stuff.

wunnerful "icky" red stuff - the ground crews are always saying that a fire can't be put out without them but the red stuff sure can control it - I watched from the deck of my (former) home in Bailey, CO the fire bombers completely contain a fire west of Conifer. The ground guys said the terrain was too rugged for them to work so the fire bombers just made a big red circle and the fire stayed in the middle. Of course any really strong winds would have changed things but it worked for that particular fire.

at KMSO where I used to fly out of, Neptune aviation was there, I was in the FBO when they got a call about the crash in Utah. The lifespan of those guys is short, they lost 3 planes in the time I was hanging around there. They've been working with the FAA to get some sort of British jet approved because they're running out of airplanes.

That is a job for somebody else.

What are they CL-215s ?

They're running out of Electras and PV-3s and everything else. The British jet is the BaE 146.

Tanker40.image.jpg

Dan

Back