Cal Rogers

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I have reread a wonderful book called "Flight of the Gin Fizz" Why is it so so good and much like Ernests book "High and the Mightys. It is a book that was written 10 years ago and it is full of passion. Kisor who in the book is a deaf pilot that can read lips and sign language flew the route of
Cal Rogers who flew a Wright Flyer B modified accross the US in 1911. He did this with many forced landings and a 3 car train following him on his route. Kisor writes his retracing the route in his C-150 with such passion and love of flying.

It is a really nice book to read about early flight in the US during the Wright Brothers time. Cal Rogers first instructor was "Charlie Taylor" who built the engines for the Wrights. Cal had at most 2 hours of learning to fly the Wright B model. Cal kept his stogis going as he covered the One Magnetoe with the other hand as he flew this beast that was so unstable. As my notes tell so well that Charlie Taylor kept saying to Cal "Keep Moving that Stick to keep the plane level" No instrumentation in those days. Not even a Johnson airspeed indicator; Just wind on the face and yes he had a string to use as a slip skid indicator.

As one of Cal Rogers decendents I really enjoy how Henory Kisor wrote his story for he captures the moment so well in his getting his ticket and his dream to fly Cal Rogers route.

Take a read of this book it really gives GA a boost for remember the Wrights and Curtiss gave us Home Builts and a spirit that goes on forever.

Henry Kisor does such a nice write for the early days for which we come from

John j

I met Henry in the 1980's computer days and have occasionally been in touch with him. We'd talk to him but he says his speech is not understandable anymore. It requires him o do extensive speech therapy to be understood.

You can email him: http://henrykisor.com/

Mike

Thank you very much for your note and Henry's address

It is apreciated for as a decendent of Cal Rogers I can't say thank you enoug

John j

I met Henry in the 1980's computer days and have occasionally been in touch with him. We'd talk to him but he says his speech is not understandable anymore. It requires him o do extensive speech therapy to be understood.

You can email him: http://henrykisor.com/
Zephyr! THAT'S why I recognized the name! Leslie was reading that before taking the California Zephyr out to Iowa last month, though she's had it a while! I was thinking that I knew the name from the computer side of things.

Henry's Kisor's book is a great read. It is full of love of flying and taking a early C-150 along the route of orginal flight of the "Vin Fizz". Kisor writes so well about the small airports and the people he meets along the way. Good reading for all ages. He spent much time doing research on Cal Rogers and what he had to over come to make the trip. As my son's generation says so well; "Follow the dream"

John J

Back