CA to FL flight revisited

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Posted about a proposed business trip from San Diego to Panama City a while back and it looks like I may still do it, but the schedule has shifted to February instead of October/November.

Never having flown in the Southeast, I'm looking for tips on typical aviation weather along the gulf coast that time of year.

IF this trip gets approved, I'll most likely be flying a Duchess. MEAs east of Dallas seem pretty low compared to what I'm used to out here and historical wind/temp data doesn't look too bad for keeping out of ice. Any big gotchas to be on the lookout for? FWIW, I'm still an ice virgin and am not in any hurry to change that.

Posted about a proposed business trip from San Diego to Panama City a while back and it looks like I may still do it, but the schedule has shifted to February instead of October/November.

Never having flown in the Southeast, I'm looking for tips on typical aviation weather along the gulf coast that time of year.

IF this trip gets approved, I'll most likely be flying a Duchess. MEAs east of Dallas seem pretty low compared to what I'm used to out here and historical wind/temp data doesn't look too bad for keeping out of ice. Any big gotchas to be on the lookout for? FWIW, I'm still an ice virgin and am not in any hurry to change that.

You don't wanna change that ice status with a Duchess, either. One of the most underpowered twins out there :yikes:. The best single engine performance I ever saw out of it was 100fpm descent. With ice added on and both engines working I wouldn't say it is a stretch to say you could see similar performance.

Gulf Coast weather during February isn't usually all that bad. Lots of morning fog that burns off as soon as the deicer rises (that's what we jokingly call the sun - our deice equipment). Icing potential is typically the highest then... generally speaking Jan to the end of Feb is the coldest time of year for the Gulf coast states. However, the clouds are generally stratified, and don't always contain that much moisture.... IOW, even with the temps being in the freezing range some days produce no icing at all in visible moisture.... Don't test that idea unless you are very comfortable identifying the conditions that provide that.

Consider not cutting the corner by flying over the Gulf, when I flew to Nassau in the T206 we opted to fly the longer route and fly towards Panama City then down. We did it for the safety of flight aspect.... we could have cut the corner, but it would have put us about 120nm offshore at Fl200. We were not comfy with the options in the event of an engine out.

Enjoy the flight if you get to make it. Not everyone gets such a great opportunity like that. So far my only nearly-so boarder to boarder long distance flight has been from a repair place in Canada to Houston.

Last edited:
February is the south east is a wet icy place.

I grew up and learned how to fly in PC. Yes it's always possible to get ice, for the most part I don't think you should have to worry about that except for maybe in the early morning. Fog will be the main concern, that stuff rolls off the water and fast but it can also disappear just as quick. The airport itself is actually newly built as of about 2 years ago. It sits right in a wetland area which is why you may get not only the fog rolling in off the ocean/inlet but also due to the wet nature of the land itself.

Once you get to KECP, ask for Lynn or Crystal at the front desk. The guys on here can vouch that you'll receive great service. I went to school with Crystal and Lynn is my mom. :)

Happy flying!

You don't wanna change that ice status with a Duchess, either. One of the most underpowered twins out there :yikes:. The best single engine performance I ever saw out of it was 100fpm descent.

Really? Not disagreeing about the ice part at all, but I've actually found the BE-76 fairly capable overall...at least at lighter weights (I'm usually only flying it solo or with one pax. Not that I put much faith in it, but the Duchess actually has published accelerate - go data.

My choice of aircraft for this mission would be:

Duchess
V-tail Bo (285hp)
SR22
C210

The Duchess Bo and 210 rent for the same (~210/hr)
The Cirrus is 260/hr

I lean toward the Duchess because I like to build twin time. The Bo is about 10-15 kts faster, so slightly cheaper. The Cirrus is faster still and has the TKS (although not FIKI) but the most expensive.

What would you choose?

I would pick the most COMFORTABLE one, that's a long time in the left seat!:yikes: the SR22 offers some ice protection, even if not FIKI, run the numbers and see what each one will cost if that's a big factor. Of course, if price was a big factor, you'd be on Expedia.com instead of here.:rolleyes::D
I'm looking at making a similar length trip in March, Atlanta to Scottsdale in my 182. I'm going to take 2 days each way and my go no go decision will be a couple days out, if the weather stinks, I'll be on Delta.:rolleyes:
Really? Not disagreeing about the ice part at all, but I've actually found the BE-76 fairly capable overall...at least at lighter weights (I'm usually only flying it solo or with one pax. Not that I put much faith in it, but the Duchess actually has published accelerate - go data.

Duchess
V-tail Bo (285hp)
SR22
C210

The Cirrus is 260/hr

I lean toward the Duchess because I like to build twin time. The Bo is about 10-15 kts faster, so slightly cheaper. The Cirrus is faster still and has the TKS (although not FIKI) but the most expensive.

What would you choose?

Last edited:

Duchess
V-tail Bo (285hp)
SR22
C210

The Cirrus is 260/hr

What would you choose?

There is always safety in twos. Even though I think the Duchess is very underpowered it also will afford options that you won't have with a single engine. Most of my experience in the Duchess (maybe 150hrs in the type) has been in the training environment. So we flew around single engine quite often. Unless it was a day when the OAT was in the ideal range for a recip (Which IIRC is 40 degrees and below)... with the engine secured we could not hold altitude. That was the reason why we had to make an engine out landing at the training airport we went to (KLIT was too busy for us to train in their airspace/airport). We couldn't get the left engine restarted - as it turned out the alternator bracket had broke which the mechanic attributed to a lot of air starts on the engine - huge stresses). We had to make a OEI landing. Not a big deal, but it does get your attention when you know a go-around is NOT an option. That day it was about 85 degrees at the surface and very humid. Light loads, cold weather, and the benefits that go with those conditions.... I'd pick the Duchess on your trip. The further from home I go, the less local knowledge I have, the less familiar I am with the options available.... the more options I want to give myself :D. Cirrus would be a good idea with the BRS, though. It may even be faster than the Duchess. I remember seeing 130ish cruise speeds on the Duchess, but I've never flown a Cirrus so I don't know their speed range for cruise.

Speed may become important later on in the trip.... When you're 10+ hrs into it and going, this is cool enough but is it really another 4 hours till my next stop LOL. You may be able to cut down the total trip time in the Cirrus. When we flew to Nassau in the 206, It was awesome until we hit Panama City and I realized that with nearly 6 hours behind us we had hit the half way point of the trip. We left at 7am and landed at something like 7PM. I had one sore butt :lol:

I would pick the most COMFORTABLE one, that's a long time in the left seat!:yikes: the SR22 offers some ice protection, even if not FIKI, run the numbers and see what each one will cost if that's a big factor. Of course, if price was a big factor, you'd be on Expedia.com instead of here.:rolleyes::D
I'm looking at making a similar length trip in March, Atlanta to Scottsdale in my 182. I'm going to take 2 days each way and my go no go decision will be a couple days out, if the weather stinks, I'll be on Delta.:rolleyes:

You know there, John, Continental/United can get you there much more comfortably with a stop in lovely Houston. With Houston's exotic location and lush appeal it is hard to turn down such a wonderful opertunity to visit!

..... Plus, I'll be there and I could say hello :idea::lol::rofl:

You know there, John, Continental/United can get you there much more comfortably with a stop in lovely Houston. With Houston's exotic location and lush appeal it is hard to turn down such a wonderful opertunity to visit!

..... Plus, I'll be there and I could say hello :idea::lol::rofl:

But it wouldn't be an adventure!:rolleyes: or I guess it could be.:hairraise::mad2:

I've made dozens of trips through the SE in around Christmas and never encountered any problems with ice south of Atlanta. What I have had trouble with is the relatively common frontal system that lies across the northern Florida border which sometimes stirs up lines of TRW that slide along the front for a few days straight. TRW also likes to show up anywhere in FL but usually only in the afternoon and typically can be avoided.

I've made dozens of trips through the SE in around Christmas and never encountered any problems with ice south of Atlanta. What I have had trouble with is the relatively common frontal system that lies across the northern Florida border which sometimes stirs up lines of TRW that slide along the front for a few days straight. TRW also likes to show up anywhere in FL but usually only in the afternoon and typically can be avoided.

+1 One TRW after another right down the gulf coast and then across Northern Fl. Have XM weather!:nono:

Many moons ago, I had an opportunity to take an Arrow from SoCal to FL. I think it was mid march. Perfect opportunity to build x/c time for my Instrument rating. Low ceilings and rain delayed me in AZ for two days, then I got another three day delay in TX. Fourth morning, I decided that a little bit of rain and chilly temps wasn't gonna delay me any longer.

I think I got about 20 miles from the airport when I flew into freezing rain. That was exciting. Do you know what its like to land a plane when looking out the windscreen is like trying to look out one of them frosted bathroom windows? And I was really glad that central TX is fairly flat. Arrow refused to climb once it started icing up. eek!

Weather can turn to crap in the late winter/early spring. Monitor the weather closely the week leading up to your trip and don't be in a hurry.

(And yes, I take the full blame for that bit of stupidity. 200 hour pilot from SoCal, who had no clue about ice or freezing rain.....It was a wonderful learning experience)

Another CA pilot. Are you ever in the Bay Area?

Kimberly
Unfortunately, the last time I was in the bay area was before I moved to CA!

I've been meaning to get up there.....wanting to get some Beech 18 training up in Stockton, but too many other irons in the fire right now.

Unfortunately, the last time I was in the bay area was before I moved to CA!

I've been meaning to get up there.....wanting to get some Beech 18 training up in Stockton, but too many other irons in the fire right now.

Cool, well, if you are ever up here let me know. There really aren't enough POA members in this neck of the woods.

Kimberly

Back