C47 - The Hitching Post

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Saturday night, I picked up Kate Bernard (skyflyer8) at Brennand and we flew to Portage (C47), where I'd been wanting to try out The Hitching Post for a while.

The restaurant is a little tough to find - From the terminal building at the south end of the airport, you walk West to the first road (a block before the light) and take a right. You will not think you are going the right direction, but once you pass the National Guard facility it's right there on the right.

It's a very popular place, it was packed. Food was decent and reasonably-priced and service was good. It makes a good, albeit somewhat short $100 burger hop.

Afterwards, we flew over toward MTW so we could see the moon's reflection on Lake Winnebago and Lake Michigan, and of course just to have an excuse to fly a little more. :yes: I love night VFR!

It was nice meeting you, Kate... I had a great time! :)

DSCN3218.jpg

Saturday night, I picked up Kate Bernard (skyflyer8) at Brennand and we flew to Portage (C47), where I'd been wanting to try out The Hitching Post for a while.

Afterwards, we flew over toward MTW so we could see the moon's reflection on Lake Winnebago and Lake Michigan
Sounds like you guys had fun! I always fly by Portage on the way to OSH, but have never stopped. Might have to stop next time.

Moon's reflection on the water...now that is cool! Did you happen to get a photo?

Sounds like you guys had fun! I always fly by Portage on the way to OSH, but have never stopped. Might have to stop next time.

Moon's reflection on the water...now that is cool! Did you happen to get a photo?

No... For one, the water was a bit choppy, especially on LM so it wasn't a mirror-type reflection though there were some cool color effects. The big reason, though, is that my camera takes crappy pictures at night. You can tell that the focus is pretty bad. The first attempt failed miserably too, I had placed the camera on the tail of the plane with the timer on and when it took the picture the flash reflected off the tail and confused it, resulting in a very washed-out pic. We ended up getting this one to work by placing the camera on top of one of Kate's black gloves.

I think I need a new camera!

Back