C29 Middleton-Morey

B2Soar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
B2Soar
Looking for a pirep on this field? If weather is VFR next weekend I plan to land there on Friday for a wedding and leave on Sunday. Any preferred FBO? Tie down and/or hanger fees?

Rick

Dunno about fees, but there's only one FBO there. Give them a call. It's a nice ariport though.

Looking for a pirep on this field? If weather is VFR next weekend I plan to land there on Friday for a wedding and leave on Sunday. Any preferred FBO? Tie down and/or hanger fees?

Rick

Last time I was thee it was pretty nice. The runway used to be about 30 ft wide but it's been "upsized". I doubt there's a tiedown fee but they probably charge for overnighting in a hangar. IIRC there's only one FBO. Watch out for the tall towers south of the lakes.

Last time I was thee it was pretty nice. The runway used to be about 30 ft wide but it's been "upsized". I doubt there's a tiedown fee but they probably charge for overnighting in a hangar. IIRC there's only one FBO. Watch out for the tall towers south of the lakes.

BIG Tower Farm.....

This is my "home" field, though I've never been based there, I drive past it a lot and I've flown in and out several times.

The one FBO is Morey Airplane Co. No landing fees, and IIRC the overnight tie-down fee is minimal, something like 5-10 bucks for a single. Fuel prices are average. Tie-downs are located between the hangar rows and the terminal. There are rental cars available at the field.

The runway is only about 4-5 years old and in great shape, same with the terminal. There is a new AWOS there that may not yet be listed on the sectional chart, the frequency is 118.675. If you're flying by GPS, I hear the identifier is due to change to KMRV at some point in the near future, though I'm not sure exactly when. (Probably not by next weekend. ;))

If you're IFR, Madison Approach will handle you on 135.45 and you may be able to reach them on the ground (most of what's between C29 and KMSN is Lake Mendota). The controllers are excellent. If you're picking up flight following, MSN's airspace starts around Lone Rock to the west.

I wouldn't call it a "tower farm" as there's only two, but they're big 'uns. They're about 6-7 miles south and pretty unmistakeable. There is also a noise abatement procedure at C29 due to some nearby developments.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

The history of the field is pretty cool. In 1938, Howard Morey was awarded the contract to be the first manager of the Madison airport. On the same day, his son was born. He didn't want to name his son "Airport," so he named him "Field" instead. I'm not really clear on whether Morey Field was started by Howard or Field, but Field was at least managing the airport as far back as 1961. It was a privately-owned, public-use strip with a single, very narrow paved runway and two grass runways.

In a bit of smart maneuvering, Field Morey convinced the city of Middleton to purchase Morey Field in 1998. They applied for and received FAA grants, built a new 4000-foot runway with parallel taxiway and a new north-south grass runway, a new terminal, and leased space for a bunch of new hangars. Field's son Rich Morey is now the airport manager and president of Morey Airplane Co. Field now lives in Medford, OR and last I heard is still an active flight instructor out there.

When you go into the terminal, there is a picture on the wall of Howard, Field, Rich, and Rich's son standing in front of a Cessna. :)

Field Morey is a great guy. Just fantastic. I consider him my aviation mentor. I've flown with him a bunch. He's forgotten more about flying than most people will ever learn. Every time you fly with him, you learn something. I highly recommend taking one of his expeditions (http://www.ifrwest.com) because you will come away a smarter pilot. Guaranteed.

I've never met Rich, but if he's anything like his old man, he's a standup guy.

Got my ticket there in 2001. Loved the old airport with it's country charm. My house was in the little cluster of homes to the NE of the airport. Had a shooting/skeet/trap range right next door at the time. Can't believe how it has changed since the city took over (major upgrades for the better, though the "vibe" ain't the same). As said, Field is a wealth of knowledge. He pioneered the accelerated IFR through his West Coast Adventures. Rich was always helpful as well, but Field was the dominating presence at the airport. Great place, great location. I miss it!

Back