C182P Engine Upgrades

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
For my education and wishful dreaming...

Besides Pponk, what other engine upgrades are available for the C182P?

Please list names, websites, what the upgrade provides us over stock, etc.

Don't have time to do all the research for you - hop over to the Cessna Pilots Society forum and they'll fill you in more.

Texas Skyways
http://www.txskyways.com/

Norland (not sure if new issue STCs on this are available, mostly carb mods)

Peterson
http://www.katmai-260se.com/price.html

Air Plains
http://www.airplains.com/index.php/parts/engine-conversion?id=84

John Jewel
http://www.johnjewellaircraft.com/services/stc/c182/index.html

The reason Pponk is so popular over many of these other options is the "bang for the buck" factor.

For my education and wishful dreaming...

Besides Pponk, what other engine upgrades are available for the C182P?

Please list names, websites, what the upgrade provides us over stock, etc.

I'd go with the IO550 swap.

Here's Peterson on the conversion his company does.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lLPjmqn0_A

I flew a light older model 182 with the conversion, great performance for a 182

Don't have time to do all the research for you - hop over to the Cessna Pilots Society forum and they'll fill you in more.

Texas Skyways
http://www.txskyways.com/

Norland (not sure if new issue STCs on this are available, mostly carb mods)

Peterson
http://www.katmai-260se.com/price.html

Air Plains
http://www.airplains.com/index.php/parts/engine-conversion?id=84

John Jewel
http://www.johnjewellaircraft.com/services/stc/c182/index.html

The reason Pponk is so popular over many of these other options is the "bang for the buck" factor.

Looks like you got them all.

Or just sell it and get a 185 :D

Might as well add the Canard while it's under the knife then.:yes::D

While I understand the utility (and have had a ride in a very nice Peterson 260) that would be a more difficult a more difficult sale to the group.

What's going on is our Skylane has developed a significant issue with the engine that required dismounting and sending back to rebuilder. We are awaiting the announcement of their findings.

There had been a bit of discussion on what to do once the engine gets to TBO in a few years. But the current issues might move that timeline forward. So I'm gathering info on options.

I did all the research in 2008 for our bird (Pponk'd). Nothing new on the market since then.

If you would, share some details of your experience before, during, and after here on this thread or in PM. Thanks in advance.

While I understand the utility (and have had a ride in a very nice Peterson 260) that would be a more difficult a more difficult sale to the group.

What's going on is our Skylane has developed a significant issue with the engine that required dismounting and sending back to rebuilder. We are awaiting the announcement of their findings.

There had been a bit of discussion on what to do once the engine gets to TBO in a few years. But the current issues might move that timeline forward. So I'm gathering info on options.

I'll bet if you get them all in a Katmai it wouldn't be a hard sell at all. I'm not easy to really impress with performance, but holy **** the 260 Katmai was awesome, but the best part is, it makes the 182 a perfectly balanced plane at low speeds. No more muscling the nose up into the flare. A 60° steep turn you pull with your fingers, and you can keep rolling and keep rolling and pulling and eventually the nose will drop off and you can't hold altitude, but it doesn't stall or have any bad behavior. And landing? You can get them super short and steep with full confidence in the feel of the plane at low speed. I did one and made the first turn off on 08 at FXE, that's where many people get on the runway.

That has to be the best mod I have seen for a plane. It really makes a 182 into a whole different machine. Yeah, it's some bucks, but you spit what, 6 ways? Man you'd all love it. You can take off and land on a standard 40 acre pasture. Plus you pick up a bunch of speed.

Last edited:
No argument, Henning. But the group is 16members. So some ideas and suggestions take a bit more effort to bring to even a consideration to be looked at to be made reality.

No argument, Henning. But the group is 16members. So some ideas and suggestions take a bit more effort to bring to even a consideration to be looked at to be made reality.

Although 16 members it's not particularly painful either. If the plane has to go down for an overhaul anyway... It would at least be worth a thought to float it and see what the reaction is. If I could get in a Katmai for an extra $10k, I would be all over that.

If you would, share some details of your experience before, during, and after here on this thread or in PM. Thanks in advance.

-We had time to plan. We decided about a year out to go with the Pponk. Our previous engine was approach its 1500 hr TBO and we were starting to see some pitting on the cam when we replaced a couple jugs with replacement OH'd units due to cracks around the spark plugs. It had not been OH'd in 20 years. We went ~200 hrs past TBO (to get our $ worth from the OH'd cylinders before pulling the plug.

-Our prop was near dimensional wear limits anyway and would require replacement soon enough regardless, so switching to the STC-compatible prop wasn't really that much extra in the big picture. Did need to get a new spinner and backplate, but we got so much for the only ones on e-Bay there was little $ pain there (182 spinner backplates are apparently made of a precious metal :wink2:).

- We wanted the ECI Titans because of the ported intakes increase the nominal hp by a good margin. We are fortunate in that the batch we got never got tagged by an AD. There is a proposed AD floating out there for them now, but in an unusual turn, the FAA got b!tch-slapped by NTSB for having incredibly poor reasoning for it, and I don't think it will see the light of day again. Everyone has their cylinder company horror stories. They are all equally good/bad, depending on whose watch you using.

When we were getting close to ready for the swap we called Steve Knopp and described what we wanted. Turned out he had a nearly-finished unit exactly as we wanted it, just put on the new accessories (TCM mags, Plane Power alternator, Tempest vac pump, Bendix starter). The engine he had was a 1,300 hr TT O-470-U core. He'd be getting our 5,000 -U core in exchange. Freakin' awesome for us. No $ penalty for that age differential.

We timed all the logistic to minimize downtime (our total downtime was one month). Did all the work with a local A&P/IA at Corona (he's in Texas now). Shipped the carb to Pponk to work their magic with an OH and the new larger jets. Sent our tach and prop governor out the same day to get worked up (new markings, new governor settings). Pulled the engine mount and shipped to Kosola in GA 2-day delivery. One of our partners gets great FedEx rates....

Oops...forgot to send Pponk the oil filter extension for the new engine...little delay there...

Took about a week for Pponk to finish the engine the new engine was crated and on it's way south to us.

Bolted everything back together (new Lord mounts, of course), engine just slipped right on the OH'd engine mount. Highly recommend doing the engine mount, ours required 5 new sections, and they did a reinforcing mod as well to handle the extra power.

Ground test the unit real quick, looked good. One of my partners had the test flight, I was on the ground with a radio (non-towered field). The engine was purring. Finally had my turn 30 minutes later, and that engine seriously felt as smooth as a turbine. Like, zero vibration. And that was just with a static prop balance. I still clearly remember how smooth it was. At 800 hours now, not quite the same, though it is still pretty smooth at cruise RPM.

We did have some leak issues with the 2-blade McCauley prop about a year later, but they did a good job covering the repair under warranty. I suspect the prop had been sitting on a shelf a bit too long and some seals had degraded a bit before we got it.

Most recently we did have some metal in our filter and oil analyses a few months back. Iron and aluminum mostly. Had a couple hot cylinders. Found #3 and #4 needed some minor valve work, and looked at the lower end where we could see. Lifters were pitting, and some atypical wear on the cam. Our A&P (different guy) was concerned about the cam, but after consults with Steve Knopp and the TCM service bulletins, we concluded replacing the lifters was all that was needed, that we caught the problem before the cam wear was a really problem. We completely flushed the oil system (even dropping the pan and flushing the prop governor and cooler).

Never conclusively proved where the metal came from, and we looked everywhere we could reasonably get to, including pulling the starter. We suspect this issue was caused by a bit too long of a down-period last year (minimal flying for 6 months), possibly combined with the fact that we found one of the mags to be 8+ degrees advanced, which likely caused the hot cylinders. That peeved us more that little bit, as it was a different IA who did our annual that caught that issue. Moral of that story is to switch which IA does your annual every few years (which has been our policy since the beginning). The mag timing shift was probably due to normal wear-in of the points on the mag unit that we had proactively OH'd at the prior-year's annual. Now I know to frequently check the timing on newly OH'd mags. 10 years into ownership, and I still learn a lot of new stuff every year.

Seems to be doing better, but the next oil change will tell the rest of the story.

That is the long story of our Pponk...

Last edited:
, what other engine upgrades are available for the C182P?.

A 182P is special because it is the latest model of a cross-country machine that allows using mogas. If you have the stock engine.

Upgrade the engine, and you are forced to burn 100LL, which will vanish someday.

I would stick with the original engine, and be happy about the fuel it can burn.

A 182P is special because it is the latest model of a cross-country machine that allows using mogas. If you have the stock engine.

Upgrade the engine, and you are forced to burn 100LL, which will vanish someday.

I would stick with the original engine, and be happy about the fuel it can burn.

For the time being, 100LL will be the fuel we will use.

I was going to mention this earlier. To be fair though, you're not forced to burn 100LL, I know Quite a few people who burn MoGas in their Ponked 182. It's perfectly safe (at least that what those who do it say) but has just never been certified because it's such a limited market.

So, no, it's not "legal" but...if 100LL goes away and there is no affordable replacement (which is highly unlikely) you'll have a safe MoGas option in your back pocket.

I was going to mention this earlier. To be fair though, you're not forced to burn 100LL, I know Quite a few people who burn MoGas in their Ponked 182. It's perfectly safe (at least that what those who do it say) but has just never been certified because it's such a limited market.

So, no, it's not "legal" but...if 100LL goes away and there is no affordable replacement (which is highly unlikely) you'll have a safe MoGas option in your back pocket.

Then I wonder why no one has gone to Petersen and done the STC test flights. It's easy you do two of the heated fuel test climbs to 10,000' IIRC, and if there are no problems, boom, you're done and have an STC. He offered me the use of his heater rig if I wanted to try it on my 310.

Back