C172 Tires

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/mctire_pkgs4.php

Was thinking about new tires and tubes for the new (old) cessna 172. Any reason I should avoid Air Hawk tires? They are a bunch less than Goodyear or Michelin, but I think I've used them on rentals a bunch and never had an issue.

What about tubes? Are these cheap ones? Reading suggestions on here it seems that better tubes are really worth it, so could use a suggestion there.

Thanks!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/mctire_pkgs4.php

Was thinking about new tires and tubes for the new (old) cessna 172. Any reason I should avoid Air Hawk tires? They are a bunch less than Goodyear or Michelin, but I think I've used them on rentals a bunch and never had an issue.

What about tubes? Are these cheap ones? Reading suggestions on here it seems that better tubes are really worth it, so could use a suggestion there.

Thanks!

Use Desser recaps. You can get them on any carcass that you want, including any of the Goodyear or Michelin casings. For the tubes, you want the ones that are advertized as "low fill" or words to that effect. THey will hold up half a year between fillings.

We used Desser recaps at the airline and they are built hell for stout.

Jim

Been putting air hawk 5-5s on our flight school DA20 mains now for some time. Seem to hold up as well as anything else.

For the price the air Hawks are fine,go with the better tube.

For the mains they are a good tire, I have used Desser re-caps to as suggested above, whatever works for you. For the Nose I have stuck to Michelin just because they seem to balance better, but that's just my opinion / experience.

The recommendations go all over the place when it comes to tires, but just about everyone says not to skimp on the tube.

Use Desser recaps. You can get them on any carcass that you want, including any of the Goodyear or Michelin casings. For the tubes, you want the ones that are advertized as "low fill" or words to that effect. THey will hold up half a year between fillings.

Jim

Recaps may not fit in a wheel fairing. Not recommended for retract planes, may not fit the wheel well, may go up but stick coming down. Airplanes like Mooneys, Arrows and Bonanzas that have a slug fit. Yes the recaps may have a little larger outside diameter.

No retract, no fairing, no problem.

Jim

^^^^THAT^^^^

I have desser "monster" retreads on my 182, they have over 10 years, 1000 hours (and landings) on them, and they still have good rubber. They'll dry rot before they wear out. They're michelin carcasses.

I also have the stop leak tubes. They are aired up at annual (in Feb) and then need air once...in Sept or Oct when the weather starts cooling down...then they're good until the next annual.

Is there a particular tube people would recommend?

Sounds like the Air Hawks will suit me well for tires. Most of the plane use will be for traveling, not training, so I don't need the extra tread of a redone tire.

Michelin's "airstop" or Aero's "leakguard"

I think you'll find that you can get Monster Retreads for your mains for about the same price as Cheapo Airhawks, and they'll last twice as long,

For a 172, whatever is cheap, you're not going to see much of a difference ether way.

I'd go with retreads as well, they will outlast AirHawks. Of course for the "gentle" mission you are looking at either would probably work fine.

Recaps may not fit in a wheel fairing. Not recommended for retract planes, may not fit the wheel well, may go up but stick coming down. Airplanes like Mooneys, Arrows and Bonanzas that have a slug fit. Yes the recaps may have a little larger outside diameter.

Never have had a problem with wheel fairings. At least not in the last 50 years. Bent leg gear, yes, but the OP said a 172. If he had said Bo or Moo I would not have suggested retreads.

Jim

Whatever you use, make sure you Armor All the sh** out of them! :D

Back