C172 into Known Icing?

Having recently picked up a small amount of rime on an Arrow III, and deciding after examining the aircraft on the ground for a good hour that non-FIKI flying in ice just isn't for me, I'm trying to decide what kind of bird to get that can get me through a small layer in the right circumstances (I'm a big fan of Scott's work on learning about ice, and really enjoyed the CFIcast he was on with Bruce and Ron). Living in Minnesota there's year-round ice potential almost any time we don't have a huge high pressure system parked here.

I'm not sure what's a practical aircraft for my geography short of an airbus. There are a few heavy singles and more FIKI light twins available today, but I'm not sure how much more utility I'd get from one versus a non-FIKI plane that just stays in the hangar.

I'm thinking turboed FIKI Seneca. Let's see if Dr. Bruce will back me up on this.

Airborne Russian Roulette...sooner or later it will go BANG....

I'm thinking turboed FIKI Seneca. Let's see if Dr. Bruce will back me up on this.

I'm sure he will, but I'd point out there are lots of other light twins that, depending on your mission, may provide you better utility/economy.

Our de-iced 310 does quite well. The upgraded engines definitely help for common winter systems. The Aztec was even better at handling ice, but didn't climb through it as well as the 310 does, mostly a function of its lower power and slower airspeed.

Bruce,
Under what circumstances would you launch into known ice? When would you not? And how did you choose those parameters?

Last edited:
Bruce,
Under what circumstances would you launch into known ice? When would you not? And how did you choose those parameters?
I will penetrate a layer to known tops, and will penetrate a layer on approach to a "make", not an "in doubt" ILS.

I like it better when the surfaces is warm, but in the FIKI twin that is not a requirement....

Attachments

• icing11.14.00a.doc
    25 KB · Views: 20
"Moderate icing"? Who made the call, the student or highly skilled CFII? Light icing, on the other hand, might also be illegal, yet perfectly safe if you consider the definition (my em):dtuuri

There is no such thing as "light" or "moderate" icing for a 172. It is all "severe"---get out.

I would rather experience it for the first time with a CFII during training then with my friends or family on board. And obviously try to avoid it and not FIKI conditions.

In a 172, or any non-K plane, one shoule not avoid FIKI conditions. One should avoid potential icing. No visible moisture at, near or below freezing for me.

I've been flying almost 40 years now (on and off); hard to believe. I certainly don't advocate flying a non-deice bird into icing conditions.

For years, I flew a turbonormalized A-36 that was very capable. Could fly over 1,000 NM at up to FL250. That would cover a lot of territory and get one into a lot of different weather. In the low flight levels, icing could be encountered any time of the year--even in Florida. So, one has to develop judgement as to how to deal with a lot of different situations. Several times in that plane, I got caught above a layer of icing or conditions conducive to icing and had to descend down through it. Once ice accumulated on that airframe, it just stayed there--at least for a very long period of time. Conditions could materially change while I was in the air. Center could put me at an altitude where I couldn't stay. I didn't want to declare an emergency in busy airspace because I'd gotten into a pickle I shouldn't have gotten into, so, I moved to a known ice aircraft (pressurized baron). I never planned on flying into icing conditions in that first bird. However, flying high, far, and for relatively long periods lead to conditions where I could find myself having to deal with icing. We have much more weather information today to evaluate enroute weather than when I started flying, but systems can move quickly, temp and dew points can come together in an unforecast manner, etc. My advise, is simply don't do it if you can avoid it. Plan for outs if you encounter it. If you do find yourself in a situation that couldn't be planned for, get out as soon as you can. A couple times, I planned on a 180 if necessary. Never had to do it because conditions didn't get bad, but I was fully prepared to do that.

Now, I'm flying a King Air which has better deice capabilities than the baron did.
All a K ice bird does is give you more options. One still has to carefully evaluate the capability of the bird v. ice what may be encountered. Judgement comes with experience. If moderate icing is reported by a bird with my capabilities or greater, I don't go there in a K-ice bird.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
...A highly skilled CFII...My friend says it's a great way to learn how an aircraft handles
Most of us do the opposite. We try to fly in such a manner that we never have to find out whether or not we are "highly skilled".

The use of superior judgement, to keep ones' average arse from having to demonstrate superior skill, is the key. It think the judgement of the OP's friends' CFI is in question.

If you want to experience icing, do so in a FIKI aircraft...., but not without a warm out. :(

Many moons in a distant time in a far ago world I gave the order to "prepare to ditch". We were 200 miles from anywhere to put down. the Bering Sea is huge,a nd very cold. Not one of my happier moments.

Last edited:
Seeing ice accumulate on an airplane can be a fairly benign experience or a real attention-getter. If you venture from VMC up into the first hundred feet of cloud, turn on the pitot heat and then see a little rime form on the windshield and leading edges of the wing before descending back into warmer air, it's not a big deal and all you learned is that some portion of the windshield becomes opaque. You really didn't learn anything about flying in icing conditions, and staying longer might teach you some lessons you really didn't want to learn.

OTOH, if you're flying along at 8-10k' and happen to encounter the top of a big juicy cloud you can't avoid and have a big "Splat!" of mixed ice instantly and totally cover the windshield, throw what looks like about a foot on the leading edges and knock about 30 knots off the IAS before you can say "Center, uhhhhhh" you'll then have more opportunity than you ever wanted to figure out what to do next.

What you'll learn in a heartbeat is that you can't see squat through the windshield, avoiding any other juicy tops is totally luck of the draw and the aerodynamic qualities and performance of the airplane are now unknown and unpredictable.

The use of superior judgement, to keep ones' average arse from having to demonstrate superior skill, is the key. It think the judgement of the OP's friends' CFI is in question.

If you want to experience icing, do so in a FIKI aircraft...., but not without a warm out. :(

Many moons in a distant time in a far ago world I gave the order to "prepare to ditch". We were 200 miles from anywhere to put down. the Bering Sea is huge,a nd very cold. Not one of my happier moments.

What happened?

You have a bunch of us on the edges of our seats.....

The rest of the story??

Got down to about 3,000 and it was warm enough that the bleed air and the inlet heat was adequate. But the fuel burn! hokey smokes.

I will penetrate a layer to known tops, and will penetrate a layer on approach to a "make", not an "in doubt" ILS.

I like it better when the surfaces is warm, but in the FIKI twin that is not a requirement....

Thanks, Bruce. I think I need to find a way to get into one of those Seneca IIs. First I need an AMEL and a bunch more time in the logbook...

Thanks, Bruce. I think I need to find a way to get into one of those Seneca IIs. First I need an AMEL and a bunch more time in the logbook...
In the course of doing that, find a freight dog to ride with in the right seat and observe. When I was in college i flew checks at night and one of the local CFI's would send all of her instrument students to see IFR in the real world. I didn't mind, partly because it was good to have someone to keep me awake and partly because the cfi would buy me breakfast and she was cute.

Bought my Aztec at 225 hours total time. All depends on your goals and training schedule/aggressiveness.

Though I am a cfi, I have nowhere near the experience as many here do. But I can tell you this without any slight bit of doubt, icing needs to be taken incredibly seriously. Probably the single biggest threat in my eyes. Sure, this guy may survive it and have no issues, but it only takes once. Also, the plane isn't rated for known icing, if the danger is not enough for you, the rules should be.

There is no such thing as "light" or "moderate" icing for a 172. It is all "severe"---get out.

If you look at the definitions in the AIM, moderate icing is actually pretty bad. As for light icing, if it causes a problem in less than an hour, then it's not light icing.

Excerpt from AIM 7-1-21b:

...The following describes how to report icing conditions.

1. Trace. Ice becomes perceptible. Rate of
accumulation slightly greater than sublimation.
Deicing/anti-icing equipment is not utilized unless
encountered for an extended period of time (over
1 hour).

2. Light. The rate of accumulation may create
a problem if flight is prolonged in this environment
(over 1 hour). Occasional use of deicing/anti-icing
equipment removes/prevents accumulation. It does
not present a problem if the deicing/anti-icing
equipment is used.

3. Moderate. The rate of accumulation is such
that even short encounters become potentially
hazardous and use of deicing/anti-icing equipment or
flight diversion is necessary.

4. Severe. The rate of accumulation is such that
deicing/anti-icing equipment fails to reduce or
control the hazard. Immediate flight diversion is
necessary...

According to no. 2 above, light icing will become a problem without deicing/anti-icing equipment if you hang around in it long enough, which reinforces your advice to get out of it.

Elsewhere in the same section, they mention that the aircraft type should be reported as well, which brings up the point that it's a good idea to notice the type when reading pireps. I always figured that if airliners were reporting light icing (or greater), then it was not someplace I wanted to be in a 172.

I have iced up a 172 a few times. It isn't a nothing burger, but depending on the conditions it can bite you.

I don't think I've ever had more than a 16th of an inch on a 172 or comparable aircraft. That was before I heard of Skew-T diagrams, so there was probably some luck involved. Nowadays I don't have much need to fly IFR in cold weather.

Back