For Sale C170B

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Seems high, old panel. Like low SMOH, some additions. Might go have a look. Thoughts, opinions? Bueller?

FOR SALE: One Half Partnership for Sale $25,000 - 1954 Cessna 170B; 5851 TT, 212 SMOH. Annual complete June 2017. Hooker Harness, Rosen Sun Visors, Low time Mags, plugs, wires. New CHT/ETG gauge, New Carb Temp gauge. All flight gauges rebuilt and new panel mounts installed. King 155 newly rebuilt, second King 155 not installed. Ship Powered Garmin 296. New Cleveland Brake rotors and new tires. Fairings off plane and in perfect condition. HD L19 “fish-mouth” tailwheel mount installed last annual. Engine Mounts replaced two annuals ago. Scott 3200 tailwheel with new internal parts. “P” Landing Gear, Jasco Alternator, battery 3 yrs old. Cowl Saver Friction Free Engine Baffling, spin on oil filter, new flap rollers. Wheelen Strobes. Always Hangered, Great Paint and Interior. Complete logs. This has been my baby for the last 7 years, but my son and I do not fly it enough.

See if it is as advertised. Sounds like a nice one.
I've been toying with getting a simple taildragger as an antedote to the twin, and understand the 170 is one of the sweetest flying airplanes Cessna ever built.

$25k for a 1/2 partnership might be slightly high, but nice 170Bs can fetch between $40-50k.

It's worth taking a look.

See if it is as advertised. Sounds like a nice one.
I've been toying with getting a simple taildragger as an antedote to the twin, and understand the 170 is one of the sweetest flying airplanes Cessna ever built.

Haven't flown one in 25+ years. Flew it to Sun-n-Fun for 3 guys that owned it, and they wouldn't use more than 20* or something flaps. I landed full flaps. Someone had them scared to land with full flaps. Crazy.

So how did you like the way it flew. Say, compared to those now deceased Korean 150s?

So how did you like the way it flew. Say, compared to those now deceased Korean 150s?

Of course once airborne same as any other plane. Think I only flew it a couple times, and that's all the time I have in C170s. So long ago I don't recall anything outstanding, nor anything very bad about it. Sorry, wish I could recall. I did like flying it though, but I like to fly anything, even a Breezy.

Last edited:
I could offer you half share in a Luscombe, but you're in the wrong state!

Yeah, IF you were in the Southeast, like I am, I'd happily join you. ;)
Seriously, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Seems high, old panel. Like low SMOH, some additions. Might go have a look. Thoughts, opinions? Bueller?

FOR SALE: One Half Partnership for Sale $25,000 - 1954 Cessna 170B; 5851 TT, 212 SMOH. Annual complete June 2017. Hooker Harness, Rosen Sun Visors, Low time Mags, plugs, wires. New CHT/ETG gauge, New Carb Temp gauge. All flight gauges rebuilt and new panel mounts installed. King 155 newly rebuilt, second King 155 not installed. Ship Powered Garmin 296. New Cleveland Brake rotors and new tires. Fairings off plane and in perfect condition. HD L19 “fish-mouth” tailwheel mount installed last annual. Engine Mounts replaced two annuals ago. Scott 3200 tailwheel with new internal parts. “P” Landing Gear, Jasco Alternator, battery 3 yrs old. Cowl Saver Friction Free Engine Baffling, spin on oil filter, new flap rollers. Wheelen Strobes. Always Hangered, Great Paint and Interior. Complete logs. This has been my baby for the last 7 years, but my son and I do not fly it enough.
I've rebuilt/restored 4 170's, 2 48s, 1 A , and1 B

Things you want in a 54-B Cleveland brakes, Scott tailwheel. pee-ponk landing gear mod, 0-300-D engine. extended baggage, baggage door.
the 54 is the best of the bunch of the "B"s 55,6,7s are 172's with a tailwheel.
But the 48 is faster, carries more, and flies better than either the A or the B.
the average B empty weight is about 1300 pounds the "A" is about the same, the 48 usually around 11-1200, all are grossed at 2200 pounds.
the 170 is easier to enter and exit than the 172. no main gear to trip over.
2623Va 48 ,then,2801c 54-B, then 3934v 48 prior to paint.

Attachments

• n2623v170.JPG
    n2623v170.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2801C at Bremerton1.jpg
    2801C at Bremerton1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20140208_130549.jpg
    20140208_130549.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 51

Only thing I know about 170's is I've never flown one and they look the Cessnas I have flown except for the gear. It does seem like it's been well cared for. I'd agree to have a looksee.

50k?

Better be flawless and a /G

From the sound of the ad, I think its more like a 1/3 partnership....

I've rebuilt/restored 4 170's, 2 48s, 1 A , and1 B

Things you want in a 54-B Cleveland brakes, Scott tailwheel. pee-ponk landing gear mod, 0-300-D engine. extended baggage, baggage door.
the 54 is the best of the bunch of the "B"s 55,6,7s are 172's with a tailwheel.
But the 48 is faster, carries more, and flies better than either the A or the B.
the average B empty weight is about 1300 pounds the "A" is about the same, the 48 usually around 11-1200, all are grossed at 2200 pounds.
the 170 is easier to enter and exit than the 172. no main gear to trip over.
2623Va 48 ,then,2801c 54-B, then 3934v 48 prior to paint.

Thanks Tom for the information. I'll look for those attributes you mentioned. Your pics are beauties!

From the sound of the ad, I think its more like a 1/3 partnership....

How so? I am wondering myself though as the guy live in San Antonio according to his email. May go look as he's in BHM for a few days and see what the arrangement is.

How so? I am wondering myself though as the guy live in San Antonio according to his email. May go look as he's in BHM for a few days and see what the arrangement is.
The ad states, "...my son and I do not fly it enough..."

I'd not want a partnership in a tail dragger like that. I'd rather be an outright owner than have to worry about someone dinging my toy. The price does seem a bit high for a partnership too. I've seen a number of 170s going for lots of cash but the higher numbers seem to be due to lycoming installations, the O-360 180HP seeming to be the most popular. For a midtime O-300 I'd think more like $35-40K being reasonable. I've seen a few sell for that range recently.
My only complaint with the 170s would be the springy gear which cessna drivers have come to know and love. On the nosewheelers its not a big deal but it can be a bit different with a tailwheel. With a bit of time in the planes its no big deal.

Frank

The ad states, "...my son and I do not fly it enough..."

Yup that's what I'm wondering. Sounds like he wants to retain 1/2 ownership. I asked and he prefers to meet. Maybe his son lives here but he didn't say. I'm still considering going to have a look and see what he says. I do know the ad has been up got quite awhile.

I'd not want a partnership in a tail dragger like that. I'd rather be an outright owner than have to worry about someone dinging my toy. The price does seem a bit high for a partnership too. I've seen a number of 170s going for lots of cash but the higher numbers seem to be due to lycoming installations, the O-360 180HP seeming to be the most popular. For a midtime O-300 I'd think more like $35-40K being reasonable. I've seen a few sell for that range recently.
My only complaint with the 170s would be the springy gear which cessna drivers have come to know and love. On the nosewheelers its not a big deal but it can be a bit different with a tailwheel. With a bit of time in the planes its no big deal.

Frank

Also just fundementials, if you're trying to "stick" the plane to the runway or "push the stick forward" spring gear can be a issue, if you just found out and hold her off and keep flying to the horizon it's all the same.

Also just fundementials, if you're trying to "stick" the plane to the runway or "push the stick forward" spring gear can be a issue,
You'er not supposed to stick it until it is fully on the ground.

You'er not supposed to stick it until it is fully on the ground.

You're never sposed to "stick" it, just keep flying to the infinity point

Yup that's what I'm wondering. Sounds like he wants to retain 1/2 ownership. I asked and he prefers to meet. Maybe his son lives here but he didn't say. I'm still considering going to have a look and see what he says. I do know the ad has been up got quite awhile.

If you're getting into a partnership, make sure this is spelled out clearly in the contract, and yes, make sure you have a contract. AOPA has a good one.

A local 172, with 160HP, auto pilot, and some other nice options has 5 partners. Their original plane was insured for $50K and lost in a flood, so they bought this one for $50K. They had a deal where everyone fuels the plane when they're done flying, they split the hangar rent, maintenance, and insurance 5 ways, and they put in $10/hour for an engine rebuild fund. Great deal that was very fair, except when one member sold his share recently. The new guy is taking lessons in it, and letting his son take lessons in it. There's nothing they can do about it. I would make sure it's only owners flying and that is spelled out clearly. If he wants to let his son fly, it becomes a 3 member club and you pay him accordingly.

Back