C130 ops question

Criitter7

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I had my solo flight up to kmfd today, a couple c130s where flying in and out. I heard the pilots call going tactical, and tower responded with freq Chang approved, what was the c130 pilot doing? What is going tactical? By the was a c130 passed right under me.... Coolest flying moment so far

I have nothing pertinent to add, other than sharing another cool C-130 moment. I was doing touch and gos on 16R at KAFW, and a C-130 was doing the same on 16L. At one point we were on our base legs at the same time, and facing right at each other. Not something you get to see everyday.

I love that airplane.

what was the c130 pilot doing? What is going tactical?

Basically telling tower, "We are canceling our IFR flight plan, switching to our air-to-air frequency, and gonna play around in formation on a low level route so we will accept responsibility for our own collision avoidance"

The Delaware C-130 guys used to come down and make low passes throwing boxes out of the plane for practice. Occasionally they'd start a grass fire with the flare they dropped first.

The Delaware C-130 guys used to come down and make low passes throwing boxes out of the plane for practice. Occasionally they'd start a grass fire with the flare they dropped first.

They used to throw me out of the back for practice too. :D

AF rodeo jumps were the best, daylight, no gear, half full plane.....the good old days.

I had my solo flight up to kmfd today, a couple c130s where flying in and out. I heard the pilots call going tactical, and tower responded with freq Chang approved, what was the c130 pilot doing? What is going tactical? By the was a c130 passed right under me.... Coolest flying moment so far

If it was an AC130, they were locking you up for GAU 2/A Minigun practice :goofy:

If it was an AC130, they were locking you up for GAU 2/A Minigun practice :goofy:

Well the airplane was pointed in wrong direction for that:goofy: I was hoping to see it go in cloak mode.... But all it did was continue to fly away visible

Well the airplane was pointed in wrong direction for that:goofy: I was hoping to see it go in cloak mode.... But all it did was continue to fly away visible

The one you could see was................. :hairraise:

Back