C P A

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Any of you guys/gals members, or have been members of the Cessna Pilots Association?

What did/do you think of it?

Are the benefits worth the dues?

Is there valuable info beyond what I can get here at POA?

I know nothing about it, but I just bought a Cessna and was thinking of joining, so any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

I like to jokingly call it the Cessna Maintenance Assn. John Frank is a mechanic and a good one. There's very little about piloting and flying technique but the mechanical knowledge is top notch. As a Cennsa owner, their information and knowledge have saved me and my co-owners at least if not far more than the annual dues.

It isn't the Bonanza Society or whoever does the flight training that's type specific to the Bo, however.

Just access to the back articles and tech data is well worth it if you own. The type specific maintenance / systems courses are also top notch.

Not a fan. I remember some members split off and formed the Cessna Pilots Society. Not a fan of that one, either. Maybe a new owner will see things differently.

When I owned a 172 ,was a member,was happy with all the info available to members. Great source of info for a new Cessna owner.

I like to jokingly call it the Cessna Maintenance Assn. John Frank is a mechanic and a good one. There's very little about piloting and flying technique but the mechanical knowledge is top notch. As a Cennsa owner, their information and knowledge have saved me and my co-owners at least if not far more than the annual dues.

It isn't the Bonanza Society or whoever does the flight training that's type specific to the Bo, however.

Just access to the back articles and tech data is well worth it if you own. The type specific maintenance / systems courses are also top notch.

Thanks. Actually maintenance and care info would be just the type I'm looking for. Being a new owner, and one who will try to do as much as possible on my own, I'll be needing all the help I can get in that area.

Not a fan. I remember some members split off and formed the Cessna Pilots Society. Not a fan of that one, either. Maybe a new owner will see things differently.

What didn't you like about it?

I don't remember and it isn't important. If those kinds of associations interest you give it a try.

I'll add this: I've gotten more for my money as a Cessna owner from John's organization than AOPA. Guess which membership I dropped this year.

Funny you say that. After 20 years of being very anti-AOPA they were great to have in my corner when I went through my last SI medical. Better than great. And I'm not easy to impress. And so far I think Mark Baker is a real improvement over past executives at AOPA. I'm no groupie but I'll give him a chance to succeed. If that doesn't pan out? I'll opt out.

CPA? I heard lots of rhetoric about "killer caps". As I said, I'm not a fan, but I have no axe to grind, either.

I still pay my CPA dues, but I spend way more time on POA reading and learning about non-aviation related topics :D
As an owner I do find CPA worth wild...there's not much you can't find in the archives. Also, I'm really picky about t-shirts and I've ordered a few from CPA that just seem to fit me perfectly. Seriously.

There's only one small downside of CPA and that's the weird constant reminders in the paper snail mail to renew long long ahead of your membership running out.

Gives a weird "we're broke" vibe.

Also they ask for special donations to keep their tent open at OSH and other events they attend and are available to the members for in person questions or just place to stop off and get into the shade for a minute.

While I don't mind them doing that, so folks not interested don't have to pay for it, most organizations just roll that stuff into the cost of doing business, and take it out of everyone's dues.

Neither of those is significant enough to really even warrant a complaint. I'm just sharing so you know they're both coming if you join.

Oh and Tom I think retired, but remains on staff as a consultant on some things but it was nice to talk to him in person during the systems courses. Everyone's gotta retire sometime. No biggie.

He also made a pretty good hot dog on the grill during the class lunch and tech day in the hangar looking at C182 systems and things to watch out for. If you can make it out to one of the systems courses, it's gotta be one of the least expensive but most useful aviation training activities I've done. Big bang for the buck. I have three or four pages of typed notes besides the excellent textbooks provided.

Former member. Nuff said; no further comment.

I remember those days well! ;)

Here's my CPA story:

I joined in 2002 shortly after I bought my 172. It was a happenin' place back then. Three full time techs on staff, they'd answer questions on the forum, John was holding seminars all across the US both on rigging and model specific systems, etc. Many professional (A&Ps) were also members because they could call in to the tech staff and discuss particularly challenging issues on customers' planes.

I bought my 182 in 2004. By the time I completed the restoration and began regularly flying it, it was early 2005. By this time CPA had become the CAA (Cessna Autopilots Association). John had lost a tech or two and didn't replace them (including Adam Halop who was a champ). He was no longer having seminars (I begged John for two years to hold a 182 systems seminar...that begging fell on deaf ears). The techs quit answering questions on the forum (thank god for the likes of Stan Cooper, Jerry Ruossos (sp?), Norm, the boys in Ada, other A&P members, etc. who picked up the slack when the CPA staff went MIA on the forums...all these members were all very knowledgeable and giving).

Also, the A&Ps were reporting that CPA technical staff was longer assisting them....they could no longer call in to discuss challenges. And the funniest...or saddest...change, most magazine articles of this era were being written by members instead of the staff.

It had truly become an organization that was nothing more than a medium for members to exchange information and ceased being an organization that provided support with hired hands.

It was about that time when the big exodus to CPS occurred led by Fred Johnson who set up the board. And that's when JF started locking people out of his website (even though he would deny it when confronted..."you must be having problems with your computer" he would say). Todd (where's Fred?) Covey, Fred Johnson, and others were locked out. I let my membership expire in late '06 or early '07.

Fred Johnson started organizing seminars with Adam Halop who was no longer employed by CPA and hadn't been for a while. John threatened Fred with a lawsuit if he had any seminars. John had put his entire organization on hiatus and quit having seminars...but, by god, no one else could have them either...

So, those of us wanting to learn more about our planes were stuck in limbo.

Fast forward to last month...and I rejoined. Only because I lost my "tech notes" database during one of the numerous computer upgrades since I left. I try to do one "extra" for my plane each year at annual and this year it's reskin the flaps and re-rig. I wanted to re-read "rigging the key to speed" before diving into the project and have it as reference during the project, so I thought $55 was well worth getting it back.

I mined all the data off of their site that I needed, put it on CD this time, stored it in the safe deposit box along with my plane's CD logbooks, and I probably won't visit there again.

I looked around and it doesn't appear as if they've taken steps to become a true service organization again...so I don't think I'll have much use for them.

Oh, and then there's the whole controversy surrounding the 400 series wing spar AD. Word on the street is that John Frank and Mike Busch claimed a bunch of other people's research as their own. This story came to me from the man who did (or at least claims to have done) much of that research. This isn't first hand knowledge but I know the aggrieved party well and have no reason to doubt the accuracy of what he told me.

Last edited:
I was a member until last year. As Tim said, it was an organization on autopilot, and little to no added value was being contributed by the paid staff other than keeping the (outdated) forum server on line.

If you are a new owner, it is probably still worth it for a year or two, to extract what you can from the archives.

Except for the ownership part, Tim pretty well sized up my experience. I was one of those who were locked out for whatever reason. Got a letter from them a year or so ago asking why I hadn't renewed. I responded with a politely worded GET F.....D letter.

Last I knew, John Frank was trying to sell the organization to the membership. Anything there worth selling?

I think the CPA is a good group, especially when you need advice on thorny maintenance issues. I've been a member in the past and got some really top notch help when I needed it.

I am a member, and I agree with the above comments. Useful for maintenance, but the site is really now for knowledgeable members sharing info with newer members. The seminars seems to have dried up. The activity seems to have dropped off in the past few years also. I will probably keep my membership up for a few more years as I am looking at becoming an owner.

Back