C airspace with towered D within - how to transit?

mikegreen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mike g.
Howdy folks,

Tomorrow I'm heading I73-SKY. It takes me right through DAY's C, and FFO'd D.

Does Dayton Approach handle FFO's airspace as well?
I've never flown NE from here...

Thanks,
Mike

2010-08-05_0904.png

Cool, thanks. I figured that, but with it being a pretty active military field wanted to confirm before I get mowed over by a C-5 or a 747.

Follow up for education.... what if I was flying this red arrow over FFO only?

2010-08-05_0934.png

Cool, thanks. I figured that, but with it being a pretty active military field wanted to confirm before I get mowed over by a C-5 or a 747.

Follow up for education.... what if I was flying this red arrow over FFO only?

If you're talking to approach and at 3400' or less approach will coordinate your transition of Class D airspace. If you're not with approach you'd have to call FFO tower.

While roncachamp's post is factually correct, experience in the Dayton area suggests that they'll want to keep you well above the traffic in and out of FFO. In addition, you've got some big honkin' towers just north of Moraine. That makes the blue route kind of difficult. The red line (talking to Dayton on 118.85, staying high over the FFO traffic, and then turning west to I73) is probably your best bet. That will set you up nicely for a straight-in on 26 or downwind to 8.

And mind the levees around Moraine -- they will snag the unwary on short final.

Depending on time of day, Dayton may or may not talk to you. Be prepared for Plan B. I was only able to get Dayton to talk to me/permit Class C entry VFR about 75% of the time when it came to the Class C (I used to live in the Cincy area). That said, they will coordinate with FFO as necessary & make it seamless for you.

As Ron notes, Moraine can be tricky with the levees at the end of the runway. Nice folks there. If you're in for lunch, Treasure Island Supper Club is a decent local restaurant not far from the field.

Yes-sirs, very familiar with Moraine... I've never hit a levy there, but some close to the equipment box on one end (once, err, twice?).

My plan is to take off, probably on 8 tomorrow given the winds from the north, immediately call Dayton approach and ask to go thru their airspace just west of WPAFB (how do I ask that? "thru your airspace south to north" and let them ask for details if needed?) climbing from 1500 to 4000...

If they say no, then I'll head east for a little, get to 4000, and continue on my way north.. only adds 4-5 miles and keeps clear.
2010-08-05_1252.png

Sorry -- I was thinking the other way. Bill's right -- take off, head east, and try to call Dayton while climbing up over all the airspace.

Well - I'm heading to SKY (roller coasters yay!) in the morn... but, the advice runs true when I return tmrw night to Moraine.

Back