C-340 emergency landing on I-70

heck put some gas in it and fly it away! :)

Why is this in 'Cleared for the approach'? Shouldn't it be in hangar talk or lessons learned?

And I agree with Tony, put some gas in it and finish the flight to the filed destination.

Why is this in 'Cleared for the approach'? Shouldn't it be in hangar talk or lessons learned?

And I agree with Tony, put some gas in it and finish the flight to the filed destination.
Was there an implied clearance to the roadway?

He's very lucky he had enough of a stretch stragiht enough to land. A bit further west and that plane would be history at a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this in 'Cleared for the approach'? Shouldn't it

Thanks Scott. We don't have an accidents area. Cleared for the approach would be more instrument flight; didn't know if this was an instrument flight in visual conditions or not. Hanger Talks seemed too general. Lessons Learned may be more appropriate.

Best,

Dave

He's very lucky he had enough of a stretch stragiht enough to land. A bit further west and that plane would be history at a minimum.

Actually, further east is worse.

The runway at Eagle is maybe 200 feet above the road and the approach to the west end goes right over I-70 which then curves parallel to the runway.

Between Eagle and Grand Junction is fairly benign terrain compared to a lot of the farther east segments - For instance, the Glenwood Canyon is very windy and has the eastbound and westbound segments stacked almost on top of each other, with the occasional tunnel and big rocks on all sides. Further east than that, well, I'd hate to have to land anywhere near Vail Pass or the approaches to the Eisenhower tunnels. :hairraise:

Actually, further east is worse.

The runway at Eagle is maybe 200 feet above the road and the approach to the west end goes right over I-70 which then curves parallel to the runway.

Between Eagle and Grand Junction is fairly benign terrain compared to a lot of the farther east segments - For instance, the Glenwood Canyon is very windy and has the eastbound and westbound segments stacked almost on top of each other, with the occasional tunnel and big rocks on all sides. Further east than that, well, I'd hate to have to land anywhere near Vail Pass or the approaches to the Eisenhower tunnels. :hairraise:
You're right. It was Glenwood Canyon I had in mind.

What's wrong the west side of the tunnel? It's long and straight... with a 7% slope. :)

The time it happened to me was because Hughes Aviation fill my outsides with Jet A in a Cheiftain.
Could be here, too. The C340A drill is depart on the mains, burn about half an hour and switch to the auxes.... That would be just about where he lost the first engine.....

You're right. It was Glenwood Canyon I had in mind.

Yeah, that would be a crappy place to have to set down! I think the only viable option would be to ditch in the Colorado Creek, errr, river. Brrrrrrrrrrr. :eek:

What's wrong the west side of the tunnel? It's long and straight... with a 7% slope. :)

Straight? :dunno:

web.jpg

Back