C-120/140 pre-purchase inspector recommendation in Mobile, AL

Scott MacKie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sbmackie
Anyone from the Mobile area got a recommendation for an insptector for a pre purchase?

Thanks
Scott MacKie
sbmackieatmsndotcom

From my 140 involvement over the last ten years, going to the events seeing planes and listening to the gurus I have made an observation:

A great place to start is looking at the tailwheel steering arrangement. It has amazed me to see so many hacked up, cobbled together chain, spring and linkage arrangements. If it’s shoddy it can be corrected, but if it’s shoddy the rest of the plane is usually shoddy underneath, or maybe also where it shows.

This is not a prebuy issue. It’s simply a good first thing to look at when evaluating a potential 140 for purchase.

My $0.02,

Last edited:
Get with the association. Some folks really helped me out getting in and finding a good bird. The good news is with a solid pre-buy these old gals are great. They are fun, nimble, capable if respected... they’ll start a conversation at every gas pump and a hellova value...

Good look at the gearbox, door posts, axles if they are still hollow, gear leg step holes need to be inspected for corrosion and cracks... those are a few model specific things I’d make sure whomever looks it over gives a double check to. Certainly not an exhaustive list.

The association listing is not updated. All three numbers I called were ineffective. Either the number is changed or the individual is not in the business anymore. Frustrating to say the least. Tried calling FAA in Atlanta. Steer me to Birmingham FSDO. Answering machine. Just looking for a list of technians. I'll head over to the 170 site maybe I'll get a point there.

Get with the association. Some folks really helped me out getting in and finding a good bird. The good news is with a solid pre-buy these old gals are great. They are fun, nimble, capable if respected... they’ll start a conversation at every gas pump and a hellova value...

Good look at the gearbox, door posts, axles if they are still hollow, gear leg step holes need to be inspected for corrosion and cracks... those are a few model specific things I’d make sure whomever looks it over gives a double check to. Certainly not an exhaustive list.
Joined association a couple weeks ago. Good peeps. Asked question. No hard responses.

Maybe email the state rep?
Alabama
Blake Mathis
blakemathis at yahoo dot com

Found one. Reputable fellow a 120/140 club member put me on to.

great! I hope it checks out to be a good bird for ya. I couldn’t be more smitten with mine than I am 2 years in. Buying her was a Very good decision, she has been both faithful and fun.

From myself and Shirley (aka 1859V)Welcome to the family

0D546842-62FA-49B0-AF6A-A74D1BCCAF4C.jpeg

With that tail number is it a ‘48 model? I have 2414V which is a ‘48. Lots of subtle little improvements on a ‘48.

Is she still a ragwing.

B9000444-C88B-47E1-9152-B72625724290.jpeg

“Miss Piggy” and I welcome you to the 140 world. Wonderful little aircraft for some time in the pattern or taking someone sightseeing over the lake. They are not limited to such flying though. The above was taken at the 120/140 nationals in Tullahouma, Tennessee. I flew her there from Texas.

With that tail number is it a ‘48 model? I have 2414V which is a ‘48. Lots of subtle little improvements on a ‘48.

Is she still a ragwing.

Mines a late 47, I believe serial number wise it has a lot of the tweaks you speak of. Yes she’s still a rag wing- or should I say she’s a rag wing again-she was metaized in the 50s for a while then converted back... and absolutely on them being capable of more than around town flying!

ive taken mine to camp at 3u2 twice - Johnson creek Idaho from MI. Great little bird.

Back