Bye, bye, home. Just my luck.

A phenomenon that we have going on currently in our area is the CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) ruining the property values and life styles of the local residents. This is happening to our mechanic (a GREAT guy) who bought a small farm and put in a nice grass strip just three miles down the road. A large corporate hog farm recently moved into his mile-section and has adversely affected his life and property value. He fought it legally and honorably, and not only did he lose, but he also had his house shot at. We voted to have zoning in our township to keep the CAFOs out and they still got to move in! It's a mess. And there is nothing he can do about it now but move. Same thing could happen to us.

Nothing a cropduster couldn't fix by flying over the hog farm at night. ;) ;)

Nothing a cropduster couldn't fix by flying over the hog farm at night. ;) ;)

Ironic from a guy who doesn't like NIMBY's.

The world needs power plants, airports, factories, and even hog farms. Every citizen wants local control, but unfortunately the NIMBY's would rule the roost. Honorable companies will do everything they can to help the situation, but at the end of the day it is up to each state legislature to regulate setbacks and zoning. For example in Iowa we have a "master matrix" that we have to use to determine if a site is acceptable for an CAFO.

http://www.iowadnr.com/afo/forms/5428043.pdf

It has worked well, but even it can still allow a large operation within 2,375 feet of an existing residence(but the site has to be otherwise perfect). My company tries to get permission from everyone within a mile radius, but that can difficult(we've had a guy over two miles away guy with a $30,000 home want $1,000,000 not to "sue the hell out of you").

If the hog operation does make a nuisance he can always sue for damages. I know of awards in the millions in a few cases not too far from you.

James Dean

I have no need for a hog farm as I can't eat anything porcine related. And, if I am shot at I will shoot back.

I have no need for a hog farm as I can't eat anything porcine related.

I would guess that many of your neighbors have no need for an airport. :target:

EdFred said:
And, if I am shot at I will shoot back.

Who's saying you shouldn't?:dunno:

James Dean

He....She.....:dunno:.....bet she's an "It". :D

Glad she's doing better.

She panted for hours last night after I gave her another pill.

I haven't figured out if she's having a bad reaction to the medicine, but she's OK this morning. I'm going to cut back on the dose a little.

I called the lady who built the house. Turns out that by law the house has to be 50 feet from the road. The corner of the back deck is as close as it can be.

She still owns the properties across the street. She'll get on it with us.

I checked the state department of transportation. They have plans listed through 2013 and this work ain't on it.

I think they're a long way off, but still, how can make improvements not knowing if/when they'll toss me out?

I recall reading about something similar in MN and the gist was that you could make improvements and the state has to compensate you based on the increased value after the work is done. Of course if you make changes that cost more than they're worth you only get part of it back.

The worst part is that Mike can't likely sell right now even if he wanted to. He's got to disclose the pending condemnation, and no buyer in their right mind would buy....

Mike - does your house have natural gas running to it? :whistles innocently:

The worst part is that Mike can't likely sell right now even if he wanted to. He's got to disclose the pending condemnation, and no buyer in their right mind would buy....

There IS NO "pending condemnation." There is a map showing what would be needed if the road was widened and a lot of public input from the people who bought the shoddy, overpriced homes to the west calling for the road to widened, and my town to be flattened, so they can get to their shoddy, overpriced homes faster. I should check back on those individually to see how many got foreclosed on with the interest rate adjustment,

There IS NO "pending condemnation." There is a map showing what would be needed if the road was widened and a lot of public input from the people who bought the shoddy, overpriced homes to the west calling for the road to widened, and my town to be flattened, so they can get to their shoddy, overpriced homes faster. I should check back on those individually to see how many got foreclosed on with the interest rate adjustment,

Ah, OK.

But still it will affect your ability to resell, at least until the proposal is spiked. Ask the folks in Montgomery County Maryland that have been affected for 10 years by the proposed route of the intercounty connector road :eek:

Re: Bye, bye home. Just my luck

U could chain yourself to the house and play chicken with the bulldozer.

Am I the only one who gets this? Hint: 42

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out how to make lemonade out of this one, Mike. Maybe it's time to move away from that heckhole and come to God's country. Plenty of space for pilots around here. You can rent out the property to service the debt until the state pays you to tear it down.

M

Am I the only one who gets this? Hint: 42

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure out how to make lemonade out of this one, Mike. Maybe it's time to move away from that heckhole and come to God's country. Plenty of space for pilots around here. You can rent out the property to service the debt until the state pays you to tear it down.

M

I had thought that I should keep an eye out for another house.,...but I already decided that I didn't have the stomach for dealing with being a landlord.

Look above. I did think about Mr. Prosser and taking an interest in local affairs.

God's country, huh? You guys don't even lock your doors, huh?
http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/859393,iowa032508.article

That's just a tragic, stomach-turning story.

I know you're joking, though. Seriously, around here, they run stories on the TV news about the small town getting their 1st traffic light, since there's so little else going on, and if the DOT here was trying to take someone's house, it would definitely make the 6:00 news.

I hope you get to keep your place or at least give you a good deal. It sucks when the gummint does stuff like that.

Trapper John

I used the feedback form on the planning team's site.

I got an email reply from one of the engineers.

The mayor always lists his office phone number in the community newsletter. I called and left him a message last week.

The mayor just called me.* He even knows the original owners and thus, my house.

This map showing the land to be acquired is one one of alternatives on which they were soliciting public input. The plans are 10 - 20 years off.

We'll be giving lots of input.

The mayor has no intention of allowing the town to be bulldozed. What is happening is the communities are saying to get on with fixing the congestion problem. As the previous owner said, they've been talking about this for 50 years.

I can sleep again. :yes:

*Yeah, that would happen at my old home in Chicago. :no:

Back