Bye Bye Buckeye

Fun airplane, sad to see it go. It was time, though.

edit: Ha! Found a tiny li'l pic from 1990. Where's the big one?

Nauga,
head over heels

Attachments

• Buckeye_small.jpg
    Buckeye_small.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Fun airplane, sad to see it go. It was time, though.

edit: Ha! Found a tiny li'l pic from 1990. Where's the big one?

Nauga,
head over heels

Lol! Old school selfie. Is that a stingray on your helmet?

A student det from the late 90's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Some A-4s tagged along as well. Probably one of the last classes for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
Some A-4s tagged along as well. Probably one of the last classes for them.
Got a few old-school selfies in those too but I gotta scan them :rolleyes:

There are a few civilian T-2B's out there (including Rick Sudgen's that BH is probably referring to and the Warbird Heritage Foundation's) but only one -C that I know of. Probably an insignificant distinction, I know.

I'd love to have one someday, probably more than any other ex-mil airplane. You could do pretty much anything in them...just not very fast :D

...and the strobe velcro on my helmet is a 'skyray' ;)

Nauga,
who loves a good tailslide

There are a few civilian T-2B's out there (including Rick Sudgen's that BH is probably referring to and the Warbird Heritage Foundation's) but only one -C that I know of. Probably an insignificant distinction, I know.

I'd love to have one someday, probably more than any other ex-mil airplane. You could do pretty much anything in them...just not very fast :D

Nauga,

Oh yeah, "the Ford." Wrecked my RC Skyray the other day. Had a aileron trim problem, flew past the sun and when it came out it was pointed down in a hurry. Nothing left.

You seen the new T-45 out from MotionRC? That'll be my Xmas present to myself.:wink2:

Last edited:

Nauga,

Here ya go.

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/ind...iners/item/zu-nvy-north-american-t-2b-buckeye

I had no idea any were still in service.

Nauga,

Wiley Sanders in Troy AL bought something like 4 or 6 to build 2 good ones. This was 25+ years ago so I don't know if he still has them. He had quite a collection back in the day though, from a Cub up to a C54, Mustangs, AD4s, C119, a Sea Fury, T28s, an A37, etc.

Wiley Sanders in Troy AL bought something like 4 or 6 to build 2 good ones. This was 25+ years ago so I don't know if he still has them. He had quite a collection back in the day though, from a Cub up to a C54, Mustangs, AD4s, C119, a Sea Fury, T28s, an A37, etc.

B-25 & DC-3 also.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=91334

Worked a few on approach and GCA. Always thought it was a neat little jet. I know of only one left flying in civ hands.

There was a retired Captain that flew one out of Meridian, MS. Any student to go through Meridian would remember him, he left a big impression. I'm not sure if he still has it or not but he would perform for the airshow there.

There was a retired Captain that flew one out of Meridian, MS. Any student to go through Meridian would remember him, he left a big impression. I'm not sure if he still has it or not but he would perform for the airshow there.

Think you are talking about Mr Z (for anonymity's sake this being the internet, Meridian guys will know the name)……..and yeah, he was a big personality. Knew him once he was retired and a contract T-45 sim instructor. Big ole guy, big yeller/screamer, and once you got to know him, you realized 75% of the screaming was just an act and that he was a big time jokester too. I heard they cracked down on the "attitudes" of some of those old sim guys in recent years after student complaints, which is a shame if true. Those guys were old school Naval Air, in its most mythical form, most of whom had combat hours over North Vietnam in their logbooks. You learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence, working through problems with the artificial stress the screaming and yelling induced. Wasn't always fun, but it was a right of passage to have gone through that training to some extent. I remember one of them, after a less than stellar instrument sim doing GCA's, tell me something to the effect of "one night you are going to have to fly the best damn PAR of your life to get back on the boat". I also remember one night in the persian gulf, many years later, when the ship drove into nearly 0/0 conditions for the recovery. I didn't see the boat or the IFLOLS until inside of 1/4 mile. One power correction, one little wing dip, and I was in the wires stopping. He couldn't have been more right that night……….

Last edited:
Think you are talking about Mr Z (for anonymity's sake this being the internet, Meridian guys will know the name)……..and yeah, he was a big personality. Knew him once he was retired and a contract T-45 sim instructor. Big ole guy, big yeller/screamer, and once you got to know him, you realized 75% of the screaming was just an act and that he was a big time jokester too. I heard they cracked down on the "attitudes" of some of those old sim guys in recent years after student complaints, which is a shame if true. Those guys were old school Naval Air, in its most mythical form, most of whom had combat hours over North Vietnam in their logbooks. You learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence, working through problems with the artificial stress the screaming and yelling induced. Wasn't always fun, but it was a right of passage to have gone through that training to some extent. I remember one of them, after a less than stellar instrument sim doing GCA's, tell me something to the effect of "one night you are going to have to fly the best damn PAR of your life to get back on the boat". I also remember one night in the persian gulf, many years later, when the ship drove into nearly 0/0 conditions for the recovery. I didn't see the boat or the IFLOLS until inside of 1/4 mile. One power correction, one little wing dip, and I was in the wires stopping. He couldn't have been more right that night……….
Good description. I drew Mr. Z for my first two sims when I got to Meridian. I had heard about him and was a nervous wreck the night before thinking about the odds of getting him twice on day 1. After a lot of yelling and a Natops being flung across the room and hitting me in the head, I heard him chuckle a little under his breath. My fear of him subsided a little after that, but you were still never completely sure when it was an act, and when it was real. He ended up being one of my favorite instructors. He was still flying when I went through, and I got to fly with him a few times in the T-2.

There were a lot of cranky old men running the sims back then, but you had to respect them for their experience. Most all of them flew in Vietnam and at least one was a longtime POW. It was a right of passage to survive some of their scenarios and it's a shame if that atmosphere is gone.

Back