Buying used plane as is

Like pre-buys, 'as-is' can mean a lot of things. That's why you need a purchase agreement.
No,,, you need to all about any aircraft that you buy, all ADs, All 337s filed, all equipment installed and know how to operate it. any other way you are open for anyone to take advantage of you.

That doesn't really answer the question.
Why doesn't it? when people buy some thing most won't give it away. they ordered the inspection, they paid the inspector, many feel they own the list of discrepancies.

This is just me and I know I may be different for saying it but when you buy "AS IS" it means no inspections annuals or anything. You pay, pick up your item and go. There will be no complaining later on for anything wrong with that item.

... AS IS is meant as a legal term meaning no warranties express or implied. It is largely only because an item is sold AS IS that one would obtain a prebuy.

Consider. How many people get an inspection on a new or certified airplane. In fact, the answer is much fewer if Cirrus warranties the engine for 1500 hours what do I care what the actual condition of the engine I've got a BRS for an emergency and a blank check if they're wrong. On the other hand AS IS means once the check is tendered whatever problems existed are the buyers and the buyers alone.

No inspections usually means... I don't want to deal with the hassle if you want to give me a low ball offer no questions asked... Okay that means no haggling after pre-buy that might be desirable. Also leads to a quicker and simpler close. But of course the buyer is less sure of what they're getting.

Tl;dr: AS IS is a legal term it's alternative is warranties that's all AS IS means.

Why doesn't it? when people buy some thing most won't give it away. they ordered the inspection, they paid the inspector, many feel they own the list of discrepancies.
That they own it answers the question of whether they have the right to keep it to themselves, which is not what I'm asking. What I'm trying to find out is what advantage they gain by doing so. It's not as if they lose the use of the information by sharing it.

No,,, you need to all about any aircraft that you buy, all ADs, All 337s filed, all equipment installed and know how to operate it. any other way you are open for anyone to take advantage of you.
:rolleyes:

That they own it answers the question of whether they have the right to keep it to themselves, which is not what I'm asking. What I'm trying to find out is what advantage they gain by doing so. It's not as if they lose the use of the information by sharing it.
One would be required to be more of an expert on the human mind than me to answer that question.

Quick question on a plane that my offer was accepted to buy. The seller accepted my offer to sell the plane "As Is" meaning that airworthy issues uncovered at annual inspection are my responsibility. Would you move forward on a deal like this is the price was right?
Every non-new airplane is purchased "as
is". What level of inspection you use prior to that agreement is up to you. As is simply states there is no warranty.

thats why i buy from van bortal or,indy aero. dont like it send it back. yes it costs more at first but over the years you win .

True you can get more peace of mind buying at premium price with a used warranty. I see that more these days at larger aircraft dealers and brokers. Anyways, I am not too worried as I just saw a much nicer plane for sale in same price range if the shop gives me a thumbs down after reviewing the logs and 337s.

The price would have to be really, really right. You buy what you know and if I don't know then you're basically selling me a parts plane and maybe I get lucky.

angel if you cant pay you cant play!

Oh, I hear you loud and clear hotprops guy! I allocated and budgeted reserves for Mx, fuel, and hangar toward the purchase price. I factor that into the purchase.
The engine is close to TBO so that requires engine reserve fund in case it needs a major or top overhaul.

I bought my Saratoga "as is" by that essentially meant that my prebuy inspection determined whether I bought it "as is" or walked away "as is". It didn't mean I was in the dark when the papers were signed.

The seller was a widow (deceased husband the pilot) and did not want to haggle back and forth on the price. Priced it to sell. Take it or leave it.

Being sold "As is" doesn't necessarily mean there's something to hide.

Back