Buying an airplane that's been sitting

Oh my.... that should really scoot. I have a spare 470 if needed. They go fast enough for me on 225hp.

Definetly would go with the Bo.

Why does it always come back around to Bonanza's?

Almost like it's unavoidable.

Those are some nice birds.... I'm not in a hurry so, it would probably be better for me to sell my cherokee first... When I cross that bridge I'll have a better idea. I'm still going to go check the bellanca out. But I can't see paying 22k for it if I can find current flying machines for under 30k. So I'll keep you guys posted

Viking just showed up on eBay. Looks like in the middle of a $23k annual, following lat year's $14k annual, the guy is selling it by next week, you finish the annual, or he pulls the wings off and trailers it home and starts parting it out.

Sorry, can't link on TapAtalk.

I see it... That's 2 expensive annuals. He says buyer can finish the annual for around 3k.... After spending 14k last year and 23k this year what's another 3k?

I see it... That's 2 expensive annuals. He says buyer can finish the annual for around 3k.... After spending 14k last year and 23k this year what's another 3k?

The other $3K is probably $13K.:yikes: He can't get anyone to sign it off, so he's estimating $3K, I bet he wouldn't guarantee that figure. ;)
According to the ad this one was flown regularly, wonder what an annual would cost for one that had been sitting for a while? :idea:
He said, "It can be finished for as little as $3K" if the low is $3K, what's the upper limit???:confused:

Last edited:
And that just goes to hell in six years in a hangar? Without exposure to moisture or UV rays? I don't buy that (own a 46 year old wooden airplane) that hasn't had varnish reapplied likely ever and the wood looks new.

Uv inhibitors break down with time. It wouldn't hurt to lay down a fresh coat or two of Epifanes.

And dry rot occurs where?

In wood with a consistent moisture content of at least 30%. I know that sounds odd but the fact is the term "dry rot" is a bit of a misnomer.

In wood with a consistent moisture content of at least 30%. I know that sounds odd but the fact is the term "dry rot" is a bit of a misnomer.

Our world is based upon water, nothing happens with out it. The wood in these aircraft was 5-7% moisture when it was sealed in.

Last edited:
And dry rot occurs where?
If moisture gets to it that can happen regardless of if it's flying or not and if it were properly stored it's not an issue. The fact that it hasn't flown in 7 years has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the wood has rotted.

Of course it would! Letting it sit is the worst thing you can do! Especially with a lot of wood. It's a silly argument started by someone who is probably not going to buy an airplane anyway.

But wouldnt flying it get rid of excess moisture?

This is precisely what Bellanca advises. They say the best thing you can do for the longevity of the BSV is to fly it often. Makes sense to me, gets it up in the drier air, and circulates well.

Last edited:
Our world is based upon water, nothing happens with out it. The wood in these aircraft was 5-7% moisture when it was sealed in.

No seal against moisture is perfect, wood will not maintain that in a damp environment and fluctuating barometric pressure.

But wouldnt flying it get rid of excess moisture?

Of course it would! Letting it sit is the worst thing you can do! Especially with a lot of wood. It's a silly argument started by someone who is probably not going to buy an airplane anyway.

One should be paranoid about the condition of the wood regardless of if it sat or not. The airplane sitting for 7 years in a dry hangar not exposed to UV light is not going to be a factor in whether or not the condition of the wood is acceptable.

You inspect it to the same degree either way. An aircraft actively flying is absolutely not immune to dry rot.

But what do I know. I actually own a wooden airplane.

You inspect it to the same degree either way.

Agreed, but that's still be the first thing I'd inspect, simply because it is the most expensive deal breaker. If that ain't good I'm gone, no matter what the rest of the aircraft is like.

Agreed, but that's still be the first thing I'd inspect, simply because it is the most expensive deal breaker. If that ain't good I'm gone, no matter what the rest of the aircraft is like.

That I agree 100% with.

So when I posted this thread knowing I was going to thoroughly inspect and research the airplane.... I was planning on a thorough inspection the airframe and potential dry rot... I believe al the conversation could be resolved with a thorough inspection. I was planning on borescoping the cylinders and looking at the logs and repair in relation to the time it sat. This should resolve all engine moisture/ rust issues.... What I've learned (according to the recommended contact from a bellanca a&p in Santa Paula, is that the hydronic retraction is the first thing to be concerned about if the airframe and engine check out okay, he also said that a complete bellanca 260 out of annual and full of uncertainty is worth 20k if the basics check our (airframe and powerplant). --lastly if I can buy a bellanca running and current w/ insular avionics for $26-30k than I don't think 22K is a great deal. -- so is that a fair conclusion?

Jeff07W;1397156 if I can buy a bellanca running and current w/ insular avionics for $26-30k than I don't think 22K is a great deal. -- so is that a fair conclusion?[/QUOTE said:
Now you know why it has sat 6 years.

Did you bought the bellanca? Is one at kbpt sitting by my comanche.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Has the OP flown a Bellanca? While I agree with some of the naysayers that ANY airplane that has been sitting - unflown and unloved is fraught with potentially expensive surprises, one, such as a Cruiseaire, or Viking could be really asking for trouble. Do the words "wooden yacht" mean anything to you? Some say the only reason a really good Bellanca can even fly is because the termites hold hands!
Sorry, just kidding.

My favorite would a tailwheel Cruisemaster with an IO-470...it would give many a Bonanza a shock in the speed department. Although a little cramped, those airplanes fly nicer than almost anything short of a Bucker, with the sweetest, most delicate flight controls - especially the ailerons. Last time I flew a Viking, it felt I was flying an Alfa Romeo, fast and sporty...but buy a GOOD one.

Has the OP flown a Bellanca? While I agree with some of the naysayers that ANY airplane that has been sitting - unflown and unloved is fraught with potentially expensive surprises, one, such as a Cruiseaire, or Viking could be really asking for trouble. Do the words "wooden yacht" mean anything to you? Some say the only reason a really good Bellanca can even fly is because the termites hold hands!
Sorry, just kidding.

My favorite would a tailwheel Cruisemaster with an IO-470...it would give many a Bonanza a shock in the speed department. Although a little cramped, those airplanes fly nicer than almost anything short of a Bucker, with the sweetest, most delicate flight controls - especially the ailerons. Last time I flew a Viking, it felt I was flying an Alfa Romeo, fast and sporty...but buy a GOOD one.

Wooden yachts are a poor way to carry your point, there are wood boats over 150 years old still sailing.

Point taken...those maintained by the Rockafellers and Kennedy's. I think keeping a Star in good shape would strain my finances.

Point taken...those maintained by the Rockafellers and Kennedy's. I think keeping a Star in good shape would strain my finances.

Kennedy's old yacht was in sad shape 20 years ago when she was sitting on the hard in OSFI's yard down around Houma, now she's magnificent again.

Kennedy's old yacht was in sad shape 20 years ago when she was sitting on the hard in OSFI's yard down around Houma, now she's magnificent again. When I first started in the business one of the boats I sailed was Diosa Del Mar which was a schooner Commodore Vanderbilt had built for his kids as their day sailer in 1893.

Actually it seems like a perfect way to make his point.

Just apply $$$, lots of $$$, and most anything will fly, or float, or .

Wooden yachts are a poor way to carry your point, there are wood boats over 150 years old still sailing.

I would worry more about rust in a Viking's tail assembly over the wooden spar, honestly.

So I bought it,
A fairly thorough inspection, $3k worth of repairs (shared cost) and I got to fly it... It might defy conventional wisdom but i had to try :)

So I bought it,
A fairly thorough inspection, $3k worth of repairs (shared cost) and I got to fly it... It might defy conventional wisdom but i had to try :)

Any pics?

Keep us posted.

Conventional - no one ever made history being conventional

Back