Buying a Sonex!

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
Really excited, my hubby and I just made a deal on a sweet tri-gear Sonex.

We already own a Grumman Tiger, so this will be primarily my hubby's commuter plane... he works at an FBO that's a 60-70 minute drive away on a dark, treacherous country road... so now he'll fly airport-to-airport in 15 minutes.

Yippee! it looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Sounds like fun. What engine is in it? The fun per dollar with a Sonex is pretty tough to beat.

I just started on my Corvair motor and will be getting a second hand unstarted Sonex Taildragger kit in December.

UEdN0aH
This a quick pic I snapped when we were looking at it... trigear, Aerovee 2.1

UEdN0aH.jpg

"Permission to buzz the tower"

That plane looks very similar to one I saw at the Crossville, TN Sonex fly in this year, also for sale. Is the previous owner an AF Helicopter pilot who flew it from the right seat?

No, I don't think it's the same fellow-- this gentleman had civilian ties to the AF, I don't believe he ever served. The a/c is out of GA, though.

We don't have military ties, so we will be keeping the paint but giving it a different graphic look.

Can't wait to get it next week!

Sweet. Sonex was on my short list when I was shopping, but it did not have the useful load I needed. I'm planning a trip to KSUT sometime this year. I'd love to have a closer look at your new bird.

sweet looking plane. btw, why didn't he just use the grumman for the commute? or were you guys wanting a second plane?

You will love it. The Sonex is a great plane with no bad habits. The only disadvantages are somewhat short range and a cramped cockpit. If those don't affect your mission you will really like it. Also on a very hot day or from a short field, an Aerovee powered Sonex is best considered a single seat airplane.

BTW, there is a turbo kit out now for the Aerovee. For a few thousand dollars you can turn the performance from "decent" to "great".

I'm going to be using the Grumman more for my IR training, AND he wanted a 2nd plane, too-- this is perfect as a commuter option, just 4gph. That's a lot of back-and-forth pretty cheap.

Most of all, it looks like FUN!

You will love it. The Sonex is a great plane with no bad habits. The only disadvantages are somewhat short range and a cramped cockpit. If those don't affect your mission you will really like it. Also on a very hot day or from a short field, an Aerovee powered Sonex is best considered a single seat airplane.

BTW, there is a turbo kit out now for the Aerovee. For a few thousand dollars you can turn the performance from "decent" to "great".

We know about the turbo kit, and it's on out "we'll see if we need it" list. Going to try it out as it is for a while, first.

Congratulations! Seems like a pfect bird for the mission. I am really curious about how well commuting by air really works out for you. Is is IFR capable? I have always wondered how practical it really is and whether or not you get burned out on flying.

Congratulations on the purchase. You are going to love the Sonex. I just finished building mine and am in the flight testing process.

If you haven't found it already check out sonexbuilders.net. Lots of good people and information over there. I also highly recomend taking the transition training at the Sonex factory. The plane is easy to fly but is different than your average cessna or grumman.

As far as safety is concerned there is a pretty good discussion going on over at the sonexbuilders forum right now. Overall the Sonex has a safety record about on average with most GA planes. It unfortunatly has had a bad past few months with some fatalities. Hopefully that trend won't continue.

I am assuming the plane you bought is aerovee powered. The accident rate is about even for aerovees vs the Jabiru. I would suggest reading and learning as much as you can about the aerovee. It is a very simple engine but does require some maintence to keep it running reliably. I would also hold off on the turbo for now. Unless you are constantly flying with two people, fully loaded or a high density altitude I just don't think it is needed. Flying yesterday solo with full fuel I was gettling between 1000 and 1200 FMP climb rate from an airport just a little above sea level. Fly what you have now that is known to work while you get used to the plane and upgrade later if you decide you need it.

Keith
Sonex #554

Sonex specific failure? Do tell.

I wanted a Sonex and obsessed over it a bit, but found nothing bad about it. There's one problem though: it's very small. If you are tall, and you flip it over, you'll break your neck. There was a crash like that a couple of months ago again. Pilot died, passenger had light injuries. A related way to die in Sonex is to land it in a Florida swamp and flip it over. Then you can't get out due to swamp vegeration and you drown. Otherwise I would say it's a well-proven little airplane.

Yes, you're right, it's small... but that's part of the appeal. We have a capable 4-seater for anything really long-haul, like the 3,200 nm X-C- we did last year.

I think for our mission- short haul commuter, occasional local flight w the 2 of us--it will be swell.

Yes, you're right, it's small... but that's part of the appeal. We have a capable 4-seater for anything really long-haul, like the 3,200 nm X-C- we did last year.

I think for our mission- short haul commuter, occasional local flight w the 2 of us--it will be swell.

I agree. It seems to fit his mission very well as long as weather isn't too much of an issue.

WOW! Great plane! Can't wait to see the new paint. Enjoy, and post lots of pics.

Back