Buying a Fabric and Tube Airplane

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
While exploring the Tri-Pacer as a possibility, I've heard some horror stories about corrosion on, in and around various parts of it - lower longerons, bottom rudder post, up around the wing roots, stuff like that. And I'm wondering, short of buying a project in need of a recover, what do y'all suggest as far as looking at a Tri-Pacer to buy? How do I know that the wings aren't gonna fall off of it as soon as I get higher than I want to fall? How do I know the lower longerons aren't corroded into powder on the inside, held in place by paint or whatever coating they might have on 'em?

ANY input would be appreciated!! Greatly!!

Thanks -

etsisk said:
what do y'all suggest as far as looking at a Tri-Pacer to buy? How do I know that the wings aren't gonna fall off

See if there is a type club and get in there and ask questions til they are sick of you. Learn your head off about the airplane; read, read, read.
Find a recognized expert on the type and have a thorough (with a list you provide) prebuy done... one that covers the items that are concern in that type, to the level of inspection that would be appropriate for that type and age a/c.

etsisk said:
While exploring the Tri-Pacer as a possibility, I've heard some horror stories about corrosion on, in and around various parts of it - lower longerons, bottom rudder post, up around the wing roots, stuff like that. And I'm wondering, short of buying a project in need of a recover, what do y'all suggest as far as looking at a Tri-Pacer to buy? How do I know that the wings aren't gonna fall off of it as soon as I get higher than I want to fall? How do I know the lower longerons aren't corroded into powder on the inside, held in place by paint or whatever coating they might have on 'em?

Thanks -

I LOVED my Tripacer. It was a 1955 PA22-150. It had been covered with Ceconite (sp) about 15 years before I purchased the airplane. In 3 annuals, we did not find any problems, but my A&P/IA was concerned that recovering would be necessary to assure that the unreachable parts of the tubing were OK.

His theory was that if it had been covered with the old materials, it would need recovering every ten years or so. That interval would be OK for not being able to inspect the unreachable parts of the airframe.

Anyway, my choice was to re-cover or sell and buy a more capable bird, and I chose to get a PA28-180.

I still miss that bird. She was a joy to fly, and never let me down in the 300 hours I flew her. I can't think of a less expensive to have a plane you can fly anywhere, anytime.

I have had several fabric planes and have 2 now.I feel they should be covered every 20 years,just to make sure.Covering a plane isnt much more than repainting a metal plane.Longerons and stuff are routinely replaced,espescially seaplanes.It is nice to cover them and you esentially end up with a new plane.Up here a complete cover with glass,pulleys and stuff costs about 13,000.Some parts of the country they charge upwards of 40,000 for the same plane.Some planes are'nt worth all that much when done,so you can easily get upside down in them.A tripacer will cost about the same as a supercub,trouble when done the supercubs are going for 70,000 and up.I would think twice about putting that much money and effort into a plane that would'nt be worth nuch when done.They are a great plane thoguh.

I would be doing the recover myself - our EAA chapter has a great A&P that has agreed to show me how to do it. So, actually I might do parts of it, um, twice . . . but still it wouldn't be $40K! :D

etsisk said:

Thanks -

In spite of linseed oil inside the tubes and zinc chromate powder coating on other surfaces, and regardless of xraying or other inspection techniques of load structures, if it isn't flown to normal G limits that are varified by a G-meter record, there's a lot of room for failures to occur.

Ideally for the buyer, have plane flown to G-limits first and then inspect.

etsisk said:
I would be doing the recover myself - our EAA chapter has a great A&P that has agreed to show me how to do it. So, actually I might do parts of it, um, twice . . . but still it wouldn't be $40K! :D

If you want a super aircraft project that will be a great aircraft to own and fly I just learned of this one

F24-R46, 200HP, 2596TT, 227 SMOH, all original, minor storm damage, pictures available, $22K or BO. Phone, PA/(610) 935-8101 or Email:
cgorman622@yahoo.com

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Copy of florida 039.jpg
    Copy (2) of Copy of florida 039.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Copy (2) of florida 049.jpg
    Copy (2) of florida 049.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 10
  • Copy (2) of Copy of florida 045.jpg
    Copy (2) of Copy of florida 045.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Copy (2) of florida 048.jpg
    Copy (2) of florida 048.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 14
Thanks, Tom - I just sent the guy an email to see what else he might have to say about it!

Tom

Back