Buying a composite home built

What type oil did the owner use to pickle the engine?

Are all parts there? (manifolds, etc)

Will new pushrods work as desired?

You don't like Lyc, remember?

Is that brake fluid resevoir large enough?

...more to come as I scroll through the pics

Is this for you? Do you really want to deal with hiking your skirt up over the coaming? The bags of lead sounds hokey. That the weight is required sounds more hokey. Gonna slip on your keister on that spindly step.

I don't like the rudder cables exposed on the wings like that.

Wire ties on the intake? Anyone who does that is suspect in my book.

Pic #20 Square bar stock...is that part of engine frame?

The long tails on plastic wire ties and safety wires, the copious amounts of RTV...looks sloppy. Was this the builder? How accessible is he to contact? He doesn't remember where the pushrods are. What else doesn't he remember. It hasn't flown since 2004 and he's in Belgium.

Pic #70 Hahaha, the wet compass secured in place with 2 wire ties! And those bent over sheet metal on edge. YGTBKM

Pic #110 What is "Landing brake"? Is it servo-actuated? Brakes on a toggle switch, am I seeing that correctly?

It seems he knows what he's doing but his methods leave something to be desired. I know some guys like that. Sometimes genuis level but they make unairworthy aircraft. EXP allows for 'bending' of the rules.

This is a project not only for the reasons he stated but for the new owner to work through a punch list. He's motivated to sell and maybe not just because he's in Europe for an extended time.

Last edited:
What type oil did the owner use to pickle the engine?
Preservation oil I hope

Are all parts there? (manifolds, etc)

One would hope, but it is partially disassembled. :?

Will new pushrods work as desired?

Why would you want new push rods when all he did was back off the adjusting nut to allow the valves to close?

You don't like Lyc, remember?

I do not like rebuilding them, because of the company selling parts thru the overhaul manual

Is that brake fluid resevoir large enough?
Yes, matco yucky but they work

...more to come as I scroll through the pics

Is this for you? Do you really want to deal with hiking your skirt up over the coaming? The bags of lead sounds hokey. That the weight is required sounds more hokey. Gonna slip on your keister on that spindly step.

A customers per-buy and conditional to get it flying

I don't like the rudder cables exposed on the wings like that.

Wire ties on the intake? Anyone who does that is suspect in my book.

Pic #20 Square bar stock...is that part of engine frame?

That looks like a angle brace for the upper cowl.

The long tails on plastic wire ties and safety wires, the copious amounts of RTV...looks sloppy. Was this the builder? How accessible is he to contact? He doesn't remember where the pushrods are. What else doesn't he remember. It hasn't flown since 2004 and he's in Belgium.

minor stuff, as long as we can get a bill of sale.

Pic #70 Hahaha, the wet compass secured in place with 2 wire ties! And those bent over sheet metal on edge. YGTBKM
Yeah that looks like an after thought to gain certification

Pic #110 What is "Landing brake"? Is it servo-actuated? Brakes on a toggle switch, am I seeing that correctly?

Typical speed break, up or down by switch.

It seems he knows what he's doing but his methods leave something to be desired. I know some guys like that. Sometimes genuis level but they make unairworthy aircraft. EXP allows for 'bending' of the rules.

This is a project not only for the reasons he stated but for the new owner to work through a punch list. He's motivated to sell and maybe not just because he's in Europe for an extended time.

I'm surprised a bunch of EXP folks haven't posted about this .

You need an ultrasound with a 0* and 70* crystal so you know the layup quality and schedule.

Said like I could find one of those:)

You can get a used ones with a pair of crystals from about $300 with a simple O-scope display upt to about $5500 for a nicely featured model. Better to just hire someone in NDT to check it.

Really? ultrasound for 'glas? I just learned something new. So what, a guy couldn't tell just by looking or test drilling? I'm serious.

http://fiberglassblog.com/2010/04/09/non-destructive-testing-with-ultrasound/

A good tech could ident weak areas by his God given senses. Oh sure, maybe not every square inch of the composite but would ultrasound investigate every square inch?

There are no ribbands or longitudnals in the aircraft structure. It is a monocoque structure.

Last edited:
Really? ultrasound for 'glas? I just learned something new. So what, a guy couldn't tell just by looking or test drilling? I'm serious.

http://fiberglassblog.com/2010/04/09/non-destructive-testing-with-ultrasound/

A good tech could ident weak areas by his God given senses. Oh sure, maybe not every square inch of the composite but would ultrasound investigate every square inch?

There are no ribbands or longitudnals in the aircraft structure. It is a monocoque structure.

No such thing. Over the year I have come across plenty of layup structure that looked, felt and sounded fine but was loaded with voids and microfracturing. The microfracturing in high stress/load points is what I'm looking for primarily with the 70* crystal and it also allows me to gauge the size of voids in the laminate. I use the 0* crystal to check the layup schedule.
People usually won't let you drill holes or take cores from their structure for a pre-purchase inspection.

Henning, I defer to your expertise. I just never heard of ultrasound for fiberglas before. I never experienced a failure in any of my lay-ups. But my stuff was marine, not aeronautical.

Henning, I defer to your expertise. I just never heard of ultrasound for fiberglas before. I never experienced a failure in any of my lay-ups. But my stuff was marine, not aeronautical.

Airbus had one fail... plane crashed in Queens.

Back