Buying a 1981 King Air F90

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by yzinventions, Apr 12, 2022.

1. yzinventions

yzinventions Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    John Z.
    Hi everyone,
    I just saw a plane that looks like it's in great condition. The plane model is a 1981 King Air F90. However the engines have about 9500 hours with the propellers being recently installed. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2. RyanB

RyanB Super Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ryan
    If you have to ask…

Also, are you really 22? o_O

3. yzinventions

yzinventions Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    John Z.
    Accidentally put in the wrong year. I can't change it... :confused:

4. Nick Pilotte

Nick Pilotte Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Nick Pilotte
    My opinion, if you are interested in a King Air. You need to find a guy named Chip McClure. The King Air community is pretty close knit and there are willing resources, unfortunately this isn’t really the place many of them hang out. If you really want an experience, register for and head to the King Air Gathering in May. This year it’s at Tullahoma, home of the Beech Heritage Museum.
    http://kingairgathering.com/

Groundpounder likes this.
  5. texasclouds

texasclouds Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Mark
  6. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    FYI: While this is not the best forum to post a King Air question, your questions would be better answered by the APIA or shop you plan to use to maintain this aircraft. For example, the 9500 hrs you mentioned can be of no consequence depending on the context as turbine engines track time differently than piston engines.

7. Cloudhound

Cloudhound Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Cloudhound
    Are you buying this to use as a planter box, or to fly?

8. TrueCourse

TrueCourse Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    TrueCourse
    In my best Slick Willy voice impression: “depends on the definition of ‘this’ that you are referring to”. The engines? The propellers? The entire airplane? An airplane of that age and complexity can end of being a very expensive purchase, well above the asking price. Like others have suggested, get a King Air expert and get a thorough pre purchase inspection, unless gambling with a boat load of money doesn’t cause you to flinch. Also, if you haven’t talked about insuring it yet, get a ball park on what that will cost you.

9. Paveslave53

Paveslave53 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Paveslave53
    Well…… the aircraft is cheap … however I just did an inspection last week on a 90… it’s a ton of work. The issue is one engine overhaul starts at about 190,000+ so if your saying the engines habe 9,000 hours that means they when been through 2 overhauls ( ish) for example my on a PT-114A The tbo is 3,600 with a 1,800 HSI if your on the MOORE STC it sway better …. That can be 70k or more. It all depends when you start taking turbines the engines are worth more than the airframe. And this is coming from someone with 13 years of PT6 hard MX experience. Not just an opinion. I’m currently changing a motor with 2,000 hours on it that ended up being a 225,000$ engine.

10. Paveslave53

Paveslave53 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Paveslave53
    Hahahah awwwwwww the insurance now days

11. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    100%. Chip McClure and Tom Clements are the two I would reach out to. Between those two is all of the knowledge you could ever dream of.

12. Nick Pilotte

Nick Pilotte Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Nick Pilotte
    I couldn’t remember Tom’s last name…. But yes. And if you need transition training, KA Academy.

13. FredFenster

FredFenster Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Greg L
    Thought I remembered reading this topic before. I'm guessing OP posted the same question on ye old Reddit because the answers here weren't good enough. OP also wanted to know on there if they can volunteer to be a fighter pilot for Ukraine. :eek:

14. AA5Bman

AA5Bman Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    He who ironically no longer flies an AA5B
    Ask at Beechtalk. They have a whole section for king airs and a lot more people who are engaged at that level of ownership.

15. Todd82

Todd82 Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Todd
    Aw it's so cute when the flight sim kids go online to ask real grown up pilots questions about planes to help their flight sim skillz. Someday you'll be old enough to get your driver's license and go to the FBO and ask the old timers yourself, kid.

16. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    ateamer
    Lol…if he was qualified to be a fighter pilot for Ukraine, he’d 1. Know who to ask, and 2. Not do it for free.

Rgbeard and Todd82 like this.
  17. WillFly4Food

WillFly4Food Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    WillFly4Food
    Yeah, like Ukraine, in its current situation, with only a handful of operable MiG-29’s, is going to let anyone that walks though the door get stick time in those precious aircraft.

Rgbeard and Todd82 like this.