Buying 1st Plane vs. Flying Club?

It definitely matters where you are. I never had an issue getting a plane around here, but the there are so many aircraft for rent in the SF Bay Area. With 47 aircraft at the club I did most of my renting from, finding a plane wasn't a big problem. I routinely booked the plane on my phone's browser on the way to the airport on a whim. It did help that I like lots of different types, so I had checkouts for at least half the fleet (currency was a separate problem, though).

Now, if there were only two or three aircraft available, I'd probably have been losing my mind and been right where you are.

Wow 47 aircraft...holy cow...yea 2 or 3 aircraft is typically what you get around here and if you don't book 2 weeks in advance your lucky to get one.

Wow 47 aircraft...holy cow...yea 2 or 3 aircraft is typically what you get around here and if you don't book 2 weeks in advance your lucky to get one.

http://www.wvfc.org/aircraft

And it's one of FIVE clubs at PAO. All busy. At SQL next door, they have competition from two other clubs as well, both also busy. Where I am at RHV (though moving to PAO), there are four clubs/schools/fbos. So, yeah, I can't complain about availability around here.

Back