Burt Rutan is retiring and leaving Mojave

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
On Friday, with little fanfare, Rutan plans to step out of the spotlight for good at age 67, as he retires from the design and manufacturing firm Scaled Composites, which he founded in 1982.

"It's time," he said in an interview. "I'm leaving the best job in the world."

With his wife, Tonya, he will move to the lakeside community of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, from the small desert town of Mojave, population 3,836, that he helped put on the map by designing innovative aircraft and spacecraft.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-rutan-retirement-20110401,0,1938565.story?page=1

We'll still hear from Burt. I don't think he'll be able to throttle back his brain processes.

He'll be pontificating. Like as per Miles O'Brien's tribute: http://vimeo.com/21848422

Although the article was posted on April 1, preparations for Burt's retirement were well under way for a while.

Although the article was posted on April 1, preparations for Burt's retirement were well under way for a while.

It didn't occur to me that the LA Times would post an April Fool story...or if they did it wouldn't be this obscure.

I love Couer d'Alene. I looked for a long time at getting into the HP instrument division in Spokane so that I could move there. But thanks to their mismanagement at the time they were in corporate destruction mode.

I have a buddy that moved to CdA the year that we moved to ATL. He has posted pictures from the area - it looks gorgeous up there! Only problem with it is the amount of cold and snow that they get.

I have a buddy that moved to CdA the year that we moved to ATL. He has posted pictures from the area - it looks gorgeous up there! Only problem with it is the amount of cold and snow that they get.

It is certainly one of the most beautiful areas in the country... And with some AWESOME backcountry flying adventures to be had nearby as well! :goofy:

Back