Burnt out

I had half a dozen pistons with holes blown clean through the valve reliefs.... Nitrous is safe, except when you have a fuel supply problem;)

If Lizzy wasn't totally burnt out from her studying, I think the drift of this thread will exhaust her......:yes:

Interesting read though.....

Liz, sent you a PM about paying forward an electronic e6b that I haven't used in years. Let me know if you want it.

High speed footage from the 30's... That must make a compelling arguement in any discussion...:rofl:...:lol:...

You would make a truly terrible engineer. So bad that you don't even know when you're being agreed with.

Crappy data is better than no data. That film, nasty as it is, demonstrates unequivocally that secondary ignition takes place. That was your argument, right? Without that, you might have blamed piston damage on other stuff like parts bouncing around (after all, that's what detonation sounds like when you can hear it over other noises).

You would make a truly terrible engineer. So bad that you don't even know when you're being agreed with.

Crappy data is better than no data. That film, nasty as it is, demonstrates unequivocally that secondary ignition takes place. That was your argument, right? Without that, you might have blamed piston damage on other stuff like parts bouncing around (after all, that's what detonation sounds like when you can hear it over other noises).

I am guessing you have NEVER driven a gasoline fed, turbocharged car / truck in your life....:idea:

I am guessing you have NEVER driven a gasoline fed, turbocharged car / truck in your life....:idea:

Yes, I'm aware that you can't always hear detonation prior to damage. When you can hear it, it sounds mechanical even though it isn't.

You're guess is wrong, though I haven't destroyed such an engine. I have torn down the results of a stuck wastegate, though, and seen the results of a stupid nitrous installation, both of which resulted in severe detonation. Not pretty.

Some engineers do get their hands dirty.

Yes, I'm aware that you can't always hear detonation prior to damage. When you can hear it, it sounds mechanical even though it isn't.

You're guess is wrong, though I haven't destroyed such an engine. I have torn down the results of a stuck wastegate, though, and seen the results of a stupid nitrous installation, both of which resulted in severe detonation. Not pretty.

Some engineers do get their hands dirty.

There is hope for ya yet..... At least you now admit a recip engine can detonate..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cheerswine:

There is hope for ya yet..... At least you now admit a recip engine can detonate..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cheerswine:

Umm, the guy who said recip engines don't detonate was someone else.

It's not "really" detonation, but it is called that by just about everyone. It certainly can be carnage if severe.

Wow this thread derailed pretty quickly. Can we get back on topic?

and you wonder why people don't participate. <groan> Freaking cliq online.

and you wonder why people don't participate. <groan> Freaking cliq online.

Geez Sara.....

In her opening post she said...

"take the written test again in 2 weeks (original one expired years ago) and I find myself not caring if I pass or not. I'm so frustrated with my lack of progress despite sacrificing everything I used to enjoy that I decided to sell the plane if I don't pass. I'm sick and tired of hearing patronizing remarks from other pilots that "oh you'll do fine,"..

The OP didn't want to participate... She just wanted some cheese with her whine... IMHO..

yet we went on for 4 pages trying to assist maybe not her but some other struggling student. Then like usual it gets derailed.

yet we went on for 4 pages trying to assist maybe not her but some other struggling student. Then like usual it gets derailed.

Then let "another struggling student" ask for help.... And hope she doen't admit right up front she is a quitter....;)

Two things could account for this "guy thing":

1. Old dudes that ran out of Metamucil and drink too much coffee.

2. Young dudes who couldn't sneak up on a woman.

It's easy to put it back on the tracks. Just post something relevant, interesting, helpful, and controversial.

Dan

Back