Burning DVDs

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
my first time, mayday etc.

I have a neat dvd (it specifically states "OK to copy, just give credit") that I want to copy and send to a friend (aviation topic).

Anyway I put it into my wife's new IBM and drag n dropped the three files into a new folder on the desktop and 10mins later the files were transferred.
Then I installed the new blank DVD-R (there is only one drive) and dragged the files onto that and 30mins later it was burned.

At the end it said you can Make Compatible (for computers without DLA).
(I did not do this step)

So I then put the disk into my computer and...nothing. In fact when I click on the DVD drive, it says there is nothing in the drive (remember now the drive DOES work....I just played the original dvd in that drive).

So I put the disk into my wifes computer (the one that burned this disk) and I can make it work....It does not Autoplay like the original but by clicking on files I can get the movies to run.

Any better options??
Why won't my computer see the copy but it will read the original??
PS I just found a place in my computer that has DLA enabled, checked.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:

I have a neat dvd (it specifically states "OK to copy, just give credit") that I want to copy and send to a friend (aviation topic).

Anyway I put it into my wife's new IBM and drag n dropped the three files into a new folder on the desktop and 10mins later the files were transferred.
Then I installed the new blank DVD-R (there is only one drive) and dragged the files onto that and 30mins later it was burned.

(I did not do this step)

So I then put the disk into my computer and...nothing. In fact when I click on the DVD drive, it says there is nothing in the drive (remember now the drive DOES work....I just played the original dvd in that drive).

So I put the disk into my wifes computer (the one that burned this disk) and I can make it work....It does not Autoplay like the original but by clicking on files I can get the movies to run.

Any better options??

There's a lot of things that can make this happen, Dave. One of the most common is that the color of the laser in one machine isn't compatible with the media (blank cd/dvd) type you used.

Have you burned OTHER DVDs using this same media on Janet's computer and been able to read them on yours?

Did you "close" the DVD session on her computer so it wrote the catalog/directory to the disc too?

Let'sgoflying! said:

(I did not do this step)

Any better options??

Use this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

I did not close the DVD, that option was not offered. The pgm shut down, all lights off and back to the desktop - and I waited 5 mins.
It also does not offer the Make Compatible option, as it promised.
Her computer is new and its the first DVD it has ever burned.
Tks
Suspiciously, the DVD pkg and label have NO identifying information such as mfg.

Are the formats the same? Sometimes older computers did not support +R for example, whereas your burner may be +R.

The issue is that the DVD may or may not have copy protection on it. It is almost never as easy as just dragging the files off of the disk. As Jesse has pointed out....you should use a utility specifically designed for this process. The one he has directed you to works very well.

It will read in the old disc, and save the files to your drive. You can even use that software to burn a copy of the disk that you have copied.

Give it a whirl...

OK I'll try it.
Now THIS technology is Really in its infancy..
I know they can make this easy but they don't.
Why do we need all these different formats and why all the compatibility problems.

...to keep guys like us in the dark, Dave...

Sounds like it's not a video DVD. It's a data DVD.

I think you just need to copy everything to a new DVD but put the autoplay.inf on the new blank DVD as the first file...ummm...copy the files to a folder, being sure to include the autoplay file. Burn the files in the folder to DVD. Choose "make compatible" this time. Couldn't hoit.

mikea said:
Sounds like it's not a video DVD. It's a data DVD.

I think you just need to copy everything to a new DVD but put the autoplay.inf on the new blank DVD as the first file...ummm...copy the files to a folder, being sure to include the autoplay file. Burn the files in the folder to DVD. Choose "make compatible" this time. Couldn't hoit.

You need software that has a "disc copy" function instead of dragging and dropping all those files. It would make an exact duplicate of the DVD without all those hassles. There are lots of 'em out there to choose from. Put the DVD in the drive, fire up the software and press "Make Copy". MUCH easier.

ausrere said:
You need software that has a "disc copy" function instead of dragging and dropping all those files. It would make an exact duplicate of the DVD without all those hassles. There are lots of 'em out there to choose from. Put the DVD in the drive, fire up the software and press "Make Copy". MUCH easier.

Nero is among the best. You can download a free trial from their site, and that will let you burn this one disc you need:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php

Back