Bummer

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
I was really looking forward to a trip scheduled to Dallas and Austin this weekend to visit friends - my first "long" XC since getting my PPL. The place I rent from didn't previously have any time requirements for overnights - until I got a call today saying they are putting them in place, starting this week/weekend.

They put a 3-hour-per-day minimum on all overnights, which would effectively be 9 hours billed as a bare minimum for my trip, as planned. I'd only put maybe 6 or 7 actual hours on the Hobbs. Seeing as I don't fly enough to justify ownership of a plane (in any manner), this new policy sucked the wind out of my sails in terms of looking forward to the trip and basically forced me to cancel the reservation for the rental, since I don't want to pay a 50% premium on it.

I fully understand that most places have these "minimums" on overnight rentals, so I don't begrudge the practice entirely. However, I know that this particular plane doesn't have near the rental demand to seemingly justify those minimums and hardly ever seems to be booked up (if at all) on weekends. It seems like bad business to forego a surefire billing of 6 or 7 hours money-in-hand as opposed to not getting any income for the "opportunity" to rent it out to virtually no one - and to impose those minimums so suddenly. Although - I did at least appreciate the phone call to let me know about the minimums so I could decide what to do, as opposed to getting an invoice after my trip as a surprise.

In any case, I just thought I'd go on a mini-rant out of frustration at having to drive 12-hours round-trip on what looks to be a perfect flying weekend. Thanks for "listening!"

Most places are pretty flexible on that and would consider 6-7 to probably be close enough. Advising you of the minimums AFTER the booking is pretty dirty.

Maybe u could call back and negotiate.
Maybe they already know they will schedule more, or have it available for regular weekend users, but u won't know if u don't ask.

Maybe u could call back and negotiate.
Maybe they already know they will schedule more, or have it available for regular weekend users, but u won't know if u don't ask.

Agreed

Just another reason I built mine. I only fly 50 hrs/yr, but it is ready at all times, just the way I left it. If I was closer, I'd take you.

I find most places to be flexible on the minimums,they usually wait until the week before the rental to see if the plane is booked. If not they are open to negotiation on the hours

As others have said, advising you AFTER you booked it wasn't the best show of customer service.

I would advise calling the owner of the operation (or who ever made that decision) and advise them of your situation (6 hours of usage) and that telling you after the reservation is bad ju-ju. Then say you'd be willing to compromise and keep the reservation if he will compromise and do the 6hrs minimum billing for this trip in place of the 9.

And three hours daily minimum is kinda high for a straight rental, IMO. Two hours, sure... but uh-uh to three.

I get it that these are likely school aircraft that could be generating 5 to 6 hours a day on rentals, so the minimum is there to replace some of what he loses when you take the aircraft off field. But the three hour policy is just likely to cause former students to vote with their feet and source aircraft rental and training elsewhere.

Next trip to the DFW, give us a bit more of a heads up and we can get some of the local gang to meet you at a convenient watering hole.

I kind of did a double-take at the 3-hours, myself. I thought 2 hours a day was quite standard. In terms of student rentals, they have two other Cherokee 140/150's that they don't allow overnights on at all that are used for training. This particular 180 seems to be more in the vein of a "cross country machine" they rent out...but doesn't get used as much.

I'll have to see about negotiations on the rental...wondering if I should hold my tongue on my opinions regarding 3-hour minimums, though.

I kind of did a double-take at the 3-hours, myself. I thought 2 hours a day was quite standard. In terms of student rentals, they have two other Cherokee 140/150's that they don't allow overnights on at all that are used for training. This particular 180 seems to be more in the vein of a "cross country machine" they rent out...but doesn't get used as much.

I'll have to see about negotiations on the rental...wondering if I should hold my tongue on my opinions regarding 3-hour minimums, though.

1st rule of negotiating

Ask them.

My club is also 1hr per day. I think 2 is reasonable, 3 is a bit much. I'd just call and talk to them. Everything in life is a negotiation.

I agree with the posts here, just call and talk to them.
Chances are, nobody booked the plane for the weekend anyway so if you cancel your booking, they would make 0 money. If they let you pay only the hours you actually put on the airplane, they will get at least some money (66% of what they demand with the new rule). That's a win-win situation for BOTH parties. Present it to the manager and see what he says.

Back