Built a new GoPro mount for the Cherokee

jsnapp

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BJC-Cherokee
I have built a new GoPro mount for my Cherokee. I had this milled out of aluminum by a company called FrontPanelExpress.com. You can design aluminum panels with their software and they will mill them and send them to you. I have used them for quite a few panels.

I had them mill me three panels. On I used to make an adapter to hold standard 55mm photo filters. I am using a neutral density filter to help remove the prop strobe effect. This should make the prop look more like a blurred that we are more used to with film camera. The problem is that the GoPros do not have a shutter or iris to reduce the light to the sensor. The ND filter will reduce the light and allow the image to be burred.

I also milled two other pieces that are attached together by 6-32 100deg countersunk screws. I am using 6-32 standoffs from Mouser.com. The mount is held onto the tail beacon with a stainless band clamp. I am using a screw version now but I will be replacing it with a thumb screw version to make it removable without tools.

The GoPro case is attached to the mount with the tripod adapter. I am using the WiFi backpack so that I can view the image and start and stop the camera from the iphone or ipad from inside the plane while flying. I have attached a screen shot from the iphone.

The president is in town this evening so unless I want to film some F-16s in close formation with my cherokee I will have to wait until this weekend to try it out. I will upload some links to videos and pictures once I try it out.

If any one is interested in building a mount, I will be happy to send you the FrontPanelExpress.com files.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 216
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 214
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 195
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 246
  • capture.PNG
    capture.PNG
    52.4 KB · Views: 201
.....The president is in town this evening so unless I want to film some F-16s in close formation with my cherokee I will have to wait until this weekend to try it out..
\

Nice looking machine work .:yes::yes:..

As for the TFR.. just ignore it and give us a video of a TFR bust up close.:eek::hairraise::rolleyes:

That's a nice setup! You should be able to get some really fun video with that rig.

Have fun!

I would love to know more about the adapter and ND filter for the GoPro.

I like the design and thought put into it, however, doesn't it block the view of your beacon from front?

I like the design and thought put into it, however, doesn't it block the view of your beacon from front?
your beacon should already have a cover on the front so it doesn't reflect off the prop

What sort of FAA paperwork will be required to fly with that installed?

I am not so sure about that...... His plane is NOT an experimental....:no:

It's not a permanent fixture or a modification of the airframe. It's a 9oz camera less than 5" across. It can't damage the aircraft & it's not on any control surface. He's good.

Of course, as always, don't take my word for it. It's always best to research it yourself to feel confident.

Last edited:
I am not so sure about that...... His plane is NOT an experimental....:no:
I'm with Ben on this... My understanding is that there's not STC/field approval requirement provided there are no tools required for the installation and removal of the part. This was how I was directed per my Mx department and a couple FSDO guys. (Yeah, yeah, I know that what they say verbally doesn't mean $h!t, but it confirms other sources...)

Looks like it'd be easy to go tool-less by getting a wing-nut clamp. Regardless of legality, I've found that having wing-nuts on all my mounts just makes things easier...

...It can't damage the aircraft...
Unless he's like the idiot I cam across a couple months ago who used the handlebar mount on his pitot tube. Needless to say, he was confused as to why he was getting errant airspeed indications... :mad2:

It's not a permanent fixture or a modification of the airframe. It's a 9oz camera less than 5" across. It can't damage the aircraft & it's not on any control surface. He's good.

It's not necessarily the camera, although legally it needs approval, IIRC. It is the mount he manufactured. That IS a permanent fixture and it weighs more than 9 OZ, I guarantee you.

your beacon should already have a cover on the front so it doesn't reflect off the prop

I can't recall ever seeing anything like that on the planes I fly/flew. At any rate, that thing blocks a huge portion of the forward projection of the beacon.

Back