Building my Fleet

Ooooh a Crosfells AND a pellet vario. Nice setup! Is that one of those cool Speed to Fly mechanical varios on the right side?

Looks like Leah got herself quite a nice little glider there.

yep the vario on the right has a built in speed to fly ring with a knob to adjust the macready setting.

I never said buying one was silly. I did once ask why an individual would own one when it takes multiple people to launch one, and got a really informative answer. To me a mission is something purposeful. Every airplane on the face of the planet is fun.

Just one minor point of clairfication to your previous statement. It takes a grand total of one extra people (tow pilot can do this) to launch me. I need help for about 3 minutes to attach the wings and this could be eliminated with a one man rigging stand. Then all I need is the tow pilot for about 10 minutes to launch me. Then I am on my own for the next 4 hours while I go site seeing views that most people only see on PBS.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I never said buying one was silly. I did once ask why an individual would own one when it takes multiple people to launch one, and got a really informative answer. To me a mission is something purposeful. Every airplane on the face of the planet is fun.

I understand your point, and I don't take offense... but as Matt put it so well, soaring- or even just taking a "sleigh ride" isn't quite so frivolous as other activities involving "toys".
The purpose is the same as with any primarily recreational form of flying: the "intangibles" that make even flying from A to B on a "mission" more fulfilling than driving (aside from the time saved). Beauty, challenges, freedom.
And requiring helpers to soar, despite the obvious logistical complexity, is really a bonus: it's more than the usual hangar BS session (although there's plenty of that), it's all very beneficial for any airman's mindset.

I'm not saying nonpowered flight is superior- I'll leave that to the glider snobs (none of whom lurk here, I think).
In one sense-utility- there's no comparison between gliding and even the most modest powered airplane; it's not really a factor in determining the "point" of soaring. But in many other ways, gliders offer so much of what makes flying fun, challenging and exciting that the limitations and inconveniences are well worth it.
It's sort of like comparing serious traveling by personal airplane to flying with an airline, or driving the same trips: Sure, you might be somewhat more likely to be delayed by weather, maintenance issues, or health issues (most of us would drive or ride as a pax when we don't feel up to acting as PIC), but it's still worth it to try. There's just more to it than going from A to B with maximum efficiency: the stuff an airman craves.

And as with traveling with one's own plane, "fun flying", in gliders or anything else, usually works out despite the limitations.

Speaking from my one day of hanging out with the gliderfolk and my one season as part of a balloon chase crew I would say they are similar in that they have a big social component. If you enjoy solitude and doing things by yourself neither one is for you, ]

Not true, sorry. Cross country soaring pilots are some of the most individualistic people you will meet. They rig their ships alone in the morning and are gone all day. Sociable as I may be, I've had my greatest soaring flights setting state distance records when I was not a club member and had no crew. I was entirely alone for up to 8 hours in the cockpit.

Yes, there are a lot of Drinking Clubs with a flying problem too and they are fun as well. But the most serious soaring is usually done alone.

ive found the sport to be an interesting blend of group interaction and individual achievement. go from the hangar BS sessions to helping each other assemble and launch etc. to being out on course all alone like Matt mentions. Then when you return home its back to the old group of friends to tell stories of your wild and daring adventure.

That little glider looks like it was "made for" Leah. Bet she can't wait to have fun in it!:thumbsup:

Rick

NIce Glider Leah!
Hey Tony, great job on the wedding present. I love soaring and will likely tell everyone I meet about it so dont get too close if you dont want to spend an hour talking about soaring!

Back