Building a Spitfire*

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
I spent part of my Thanksgiving vacation building a Supermarine Spitfire.
*Yeah, it's a balsa model, not the real thing.

Still, it was a ton more work than I remember from childhood. Here's the video: (and how do you embed videos?)

http://youtu.be/FcGNEwynEuM

Enjoy! And check out my other videos...

Somewhere in Argentina or Chile, there was a full size fiberglass Spitfire replica for sale. The guy cut the molds for it off a real Spitfire so all the rivet heads, seams, and everything was there.

Those little Guillows models are fun to make.

Sweet! I think I built a Spitfire too, about 35 years ago. I'd usually get them to that same point, then lose interest. I did get a really nice model finished, took it to the back yard for a test glide to set the trim, and had a good flight. Until our cat tore out from behind a tree and killed it.

Built dozens of those type kits. My personal best was just over 24 hours from opening the box to first flight. It was the Guillows Hawker Hurricane. I added split flaps later for short field take offs . Lots of fun.

I have a kit to build a spitfire laying around somewhere, but it's for an R/C model. The thing is huge... I had to get a 20cc motor for it. One of these days I should build it... I just don't have nearly as many r/c parts as I used to have.

Back