build your own engine

You can build your own engine for the sonex aircraft.

You can build your own engine under the direct supervision of an A&P.

I've done it.

You can do this for the E-AB aircraft, yes? I remember seeing someone building a glassair in a nearby hangar with an Chevy LS-something under the cowl.

Off topic, but I'm looking at a kit car. This one, superlite slc: http://superlitecars.com/index.php/cars/superlite-slc#5376-dscf5284_640x480

I see that you can go to GM and build your own LS 7 or 9 engine. Why can't we do that for airplane engines? You build your own engine at the factor, under their guidance and they validate the engine and warranty it.

I've wondered something similar to this. For example, Cub Crafters makes both certified and kit planes. Could they offer a service whereby I spend a couple of weeks at their factory assisting with the build of my own certified plane?

Ex-AB is different. Just last Saturday I met a guy who built his own engine for a Velocity. He started with an existing block from a Mercedes. Not exactly sure where he's got the crackshaft for it, and I forgot to ask. I think pistons may be pre-existing from some kind of Honda? Anyway, it's liquid cooled and he mostly talked about the beneficial effect of VGs on his coolant temperatures

The thing is, it's a certified factory engine with full warranty. How it would translate to aviation is you got to lyco or cont and build a certified plane to put in your certified airplane

Buy something with a runout engine and do your own overhaul under the supervision of your friendly neighborhood A&P.

Back